Snowmaking & Check Valves

A question for those who have worked in ops:  the recent valve house videos from Tenney made me think of this... do ski areas use check valves to minimize the number of valves that must be open/closed to turn on/off trails?

Comments

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited September 2015 Posts: 417
    Haven't seen them not to say they aren't out there. Those would be nice to have at the bottom of loops that share a common discharge.

Tenney's plant was built way more complex than it had to be. I'm sure Mike will simplify it.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly on the location of check valves.  Did a quick search and you can get ones made to withstand over 1500 psi.

Any reason Tenney's plant is so complex? Are you referring to the fact the Hornet loop was divided into upper, middle, and lower zones?
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Mostly the multiple manifolds fed by different pump sets and the fact that they have horizontal booster pumps at the bottom instead of up on the hill where you need them.

A modern install would have your vertical variable speed verticals all in a row on a common manifold and the boosters up on a mid mountain house or not at all if the main pumps are powerful enough.

I ASSume each of the hornet loops feeds a different trail, each farther up to from the base? If so that's pretty common.
  • Spunkyskier01Spunkyskier01 novice
    We used to use check valves commonly on lines that would feed into one common line (ex. three trails merge into one, three pipes servicing those trails would all merge into one common line using check valves). The check valves have proven to be fairly unreliable, the gaskets commonly failing after a short period of time. Our hill has reverted back to butterfly valves as the primary way to isolate and direct water. We still use check valves in front of the pumps however to prevent water from back flowing into them. 

After watching that video I agree it seems very complicated for the size of the plant, its hard to say why it was constructed in such a way without understanding how it is routing water.