Worst Town With a Ski Area in it

edited May 2015 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,056
What is the worst town with a ski area in it that you've been to?

I'd vote for Bradford, MA; it's a southern part of Haverhill and it is busy, unkept, has a high crime rate, and seedy shops.
- Sam

Comments

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert

Scranton, PA - With Sno-Mountain get's my vote for worst Mid-Atlantic ski town.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

sugarloaf said:

Scranton, PA - With Sno-Mountain get's my vote for worst Mid-Atlantic ski town.

Isn't it closed now?
    - Sam
    Their website (Montage) shows the water park opened for this summer, I'm not sure what the status of the ski area is.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

sugarloaf said:

Their website (Montage) shows the water park opened for this summer, I'm not sure what the status of the ski area is.

It does seem to be open after looking at the website!
    - Sam

sugarloaf said:

The ski area or the water park?

sugarloaf said:

sugarloaf said:

The ski area or the water park?
    Both!
    - Sam
    I called the switchboard and the operator says the ski area is / will be functioning for next winter. Apparently their now called Montage Mountain Resorts..

sugarloaf said:

I called the switchboard and the operator says the ski area is / will be functioning for next winter. Apparently their now called Montage Mountain Resorts..

Right, that's what I found out as well. I thought it was close because when I searched "Sno Mountain, PA" it said it was closed, but I guess they just changed their name or some thing. Did ownership change?
    - Sam
    The operator said they had a change in ownership.

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    The area below Montage isn't bad at all. Statistically Scranton is a lot like Leadville, CO (Ski Cooper) in terms of crime rate, poverty rate, etc. about 70% of school kids get free lunch in both towns.
    Rumford ME is pretty grim, poverty level about the same as Scranton or Leadville.
    I've visited all three on a few occasions and I would say Scranton has the most going for it, Rumford the least.
    But there's definitely good people in Rumford, the community rallied behind the ski area and you gotta give them props for bootstrapping it back into business.

It was nice to see the townspeople of Rumford Rally to save Black Mountain and I know that the ski area has been a nice cheap alternative to kids on the street with nothing to do. I think that ski area is my favorite small mountain in Northern New England and I started skiing there in 2005, right after they installed the triple chair to the summit.

As for Scranton, the infrastructure is in terrible shape, the Central Scranton Expressway has had construction on it since I starting driving through there in 1991. Half the town is in danger of collapse from mine shaft subsidence and the surrounding area was formerly heavily polluted.

Not exactly New England but there used to be a ski hill just south of Detroit, MI called Riverview Highlands, AKA Mt. Trashmore. Two quads served 190 glorious vertical feet of landfill!
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    sugarloaf said:

As for __________, the infrastructure is in terrible shape, the Central _________ Expressway has had construction on it since I starting driving through there in 1991. Half the town is in danger of collapse from mine shaft subsidence and the surrounding area was formerly heavily polluted.

No big deal, pick almost any town in northeast Pennsy and fill in the blanks!   :D

Considering they have a nice new minor league baseball stadium, modern hotels, a couple of colleges and universities, an airport, and a National Historic Site, I think Scranton has a leg up on most of the towns mentioned.  Not saying it doesn't have blight and scum!

sugarloaf said:

As for __________, the infrastructure is in terrible shape, the Central _________ Expressway has had construction on it since I starting driving through there in 1991. Half the town is in danger of collapse from mine shaft subsidence and the surrounding area was formerly heavily polluted.

No big deal, pick almost any town in northeast Pennsy and fill in the blanks!   :D

Considering they have a nice new minor league baseball stadium, modern hotels, a couple of colleges and universities, an airport, and a National Historic Site, I think Scranton has a leg up on most of the towns mentioned.  Not saying it doesn't have blight and scum!

No big deal, pick almost any town in northeast Pennsy and fill in the blanks!  

This is true

• SkizixSkizix advanced
    Isn't that an oxymoron? How can a town be bad if there's a ski area nearby?  ~:> ;)) 8-|
    "I need a powder day"
    Skizix said:

Isn't that an oxymoron? How can a town be bad if there's a ski area nearby?  ~:> ;)) 8-|

Very, very true!!!!! :)]
    - Sam
  • JAM614JAM614 intermediate

Black Mountain is far removed from downtown Rumford so this is almost a moot point.  Despite this fact, I don't feel threatened anywhere in the community and there are a few quality establishments that routinely see our business. BMOM is the best value for mid-sized mountain skiing in New England IMHO.

More glades being made in the off-season...possibly in the East Bowl : )

Skizix said:

Very, very true!!!!! :)]
    Gotta agree!!
    I don't think that I would consider Black Mountain "far removed" from Rumford, it's located fairly close to town. I've never felt threatened either, it's just not the best ski town IMO.

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Big Tupper, and Tupper lake I think take the cake. Tupper Lake has been in a continuous downward spiral for several decades now. A town which used to host the ESPN Outdoor games and other national events, Had a decent hotel base and a thriving summer economy has all but shuttered. 33% of the population is below the poverty line. 
    ~Rich~
    That's really sad news about Big Tupper...and it's so close to Lake Placid. :(
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    East Rutherford, NJ.

Oh wait, that's not getting built. My bad.....
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    JMaul said:

East Rutherford, NJ.

Hahahaha!!! Well played!

Wait: does this mean that Dubai is a ski town????
    edited May 2015 Posts: 777

That indoor ski area in the Meadowlands is not getting built?

It's high time we had some indoor skiing in the U.S. Europe has plenty of these facilities. I'm sure there's enough demand. I'm curious that no ski are has though of this for summer revenue.

What about that plastic netting that could be draped across a slope? That way the lifts can turn during the summer without the expense of a contained, refrigerated ski slope.
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    Ski Ward puts some of that plastic stuff down for a summer terrain park.  There's also one at Liberty College in Virginia.
    How well does that plastic stuff even ski? Sure would hate to take a spill when "skiing" in shorts!
    JMaul said:

East Rutherford, NJ.

Hijack alert!!!! :D
    - Sam

JMaul said:

East Rutherford, NJ.

Hijack alert!!!! :D
    Oh, I'd be hard-pressed to even visit East Rutherford for an afternoon of refrigerated skiing!

• newpylongnewpylong expert
    IMHO having a thread taking shots at towns someone might be from here is very poor taste.