Dartmouth Skiway

Saw the following on their Facebook page and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts.  I've come to appreciate Dartmouth as one of the few uncrowded weekend places.  As they note in their post, the first audience they have to satisfy is the students, but here's hoping they get the rest of their trails (i.e., the non-first-priority ones) open soon enough for the rest of us to enjoy.

Operationally you may notice a few
changes early this winter as we focus on creating the optimal race and
beginner area surfaces as our first priorities. As part of Dartmouth
College, our mission is to provide service to the Alpine Ski Team(s),
Students and Student driven activities. We will be concentrating our
early season efforts to open the main training venue requested by the
Alpine Teams, Worden's, as well as the beginner area, and then terrain
more suitable for other users. You will continue to slide on world class
racing surfaces on Worden's and manicured learning terrain all season;
we will just be focused on those two locations from the outset of our
snowmaking operations in the fall.  As always we will open as much
terrain as rapidly as possible after the racing terrain and beginner
area are completed with the preferred racing & learning snow surface
with the goal of providing the best possible snowsports experience in
the Upper Valley.

Comments

• Never been to the Skiway.  What's the concern? Do they open trails slowly?
  • obienick said:

What's the concern? Do they open trails slowly?

Yeah, that's my concern.  They're not a snowmaking juggernaut, and while I love the Worden's trail, if they focus primarily on that and on the beginner area, I'm afraid the rest of the mountains (there are two) will open even later than normal.  Of course, some good early snowstorms will make everything alright.  :)
  • obienick said:

Never been to the Skiway.  What's the concern? Do they open trails slowly?

Try it on a Saturday when there's a good amount of natural snow.  I haven't been able to get there for one, but it is a sneaky place to go on a powder day too.
  • Holt opening faster is a good thing. Holt on a powder day is awesome. If they can get a main route open on the race trail, they'll be more likely to open the rest of it on natural snow if they get enough (unfortunately, being in the Upper Valley, that is always a very big if anytime during the season but especially early).
  • They're doing exactly what any small mountain has to do - open terrain to satisfy core stakeholders and then move on from there. Whaleback does the same thing - except their pockets are nowhere near as deep as the Skiways.
  • edited September 2015
    I really like the Holt's side of the Skiway.  I am hoping that the focus on Wordens will lead to more opening earlier.  They may have deep pockets but they don't spend big money on snowmaking (what they do make is very good though).
  • I really like the Holt's side of the Skiway.  I am hoping that the focus on Wordens will lead to more opening earlier.  They may have deep pockets but they don't spend big money on snowmaking (what they do make is very good though).

+1
    - Sam