Best/Favorite Trail Map

sugarloafsugarloaf expert
edited May 2015 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 759

For me, my favorite and most cherished trail map is this one that I own from Camelback from 1990. It's an actual picture of the mountain superimposed on the map.

So what's your favorite trail map?

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Camelback.gif
1970 x 1686 - 2M

Comments

My favorite map would have to be the topographical map of Titcomb Mountain: http://www.titcombmountain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Titcomb_AlpineTrails_web1.jpg

I'm sad that there aren't many places using topo maps anymore because it's a great way to see where, and how steep, the terrain actually is.
    - Sam
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert

My favorite map would have to be the topographical map of Titcomb Mountain: http://www.titcombmountain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Titcomb_AlpineTrails_web1.jpg

I'm sad that there aren't many places using topo maps anymore because it's a great way to see where, and how steep, the terrain actually is.

Killington used Topographical maps until 1990 and the older Mad River Glen maps used that feature as well.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    I have one of Holiday Valley framed before Cindy's Slope et al was put in. Yodeler and Tannenbaum are T-bars, Mardi Gras is a double and the Chute is also just a double. I'll scan it in soon. 

"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I was a big fan of the terrain map trail maps - notably Killington pre-ASC.  (I think there were a bunch of areas that had these, but I don't remember the others.)
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Sunday River had one. Sugarloaf had one. I have lots of topo maps of ski areas that don't exist. ;)
    bmwskier said:

I have one of Holiday Valley framed before Cindy's Slope et al was put in. Yodeler and Tannenbaum are T-bars, Mardi Gras is a double and the Chute is also just a double. I'll scan it in soon. 

I'd love to see that trail map of Holiday Valley!

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 759
    mapnut said:

Sunday River had one. Sugarloaf had one. I have lots of topo maps of ski areas that don't exist. ;)

My Sunday River trail map from 1989 has a topographical background:

Sunday River 1989.jpg
    801 x 615 - 147K
    I also like the angled aerial photographs such as this one of Blue Hill: https://skimap.org/data/440/7/1209768289.jpg
    - Sam
    Snow Ridge had a photograph trail map but it was a challenge to identify some of the trails as many were narrow runs in the trees and difficult to spot.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    +1 for the topo maps. Killington. MRG come to mind for sure. I have both of those still in the vault. (a/k/a the shoebox in the closet). I need to look through it and see if I have any other topos.
    Big Rock also had a very nice topo map showing the exact width and shape of every run: https://skimap.org/data/455/7/1209512678.jpg
    - Sam