Black Mountain, NH 1/22/2021

A few inches of new snow made for great packed powder conditions at Black Mountain today! The double was open to the mid-station with one main route down following Maple Slalom Chute, Sun Valley, Valley View, and Bob-A-Link. From the top of the Platter Pull either Jubilee or Ninow could be skied. There were also some short loops off the main route with natural snow. The mountain never got very busy and there were never any lines. They are working on making snow in the east side of the mountain now and some of those trails should be open soon. Black ranks among my favorite ski areas and is the perfect place for laid back uncrowded skiing!

34lrb3kmiepl.pngoblrbrn078te.png
z9d0jf4lqok7.png
tmzp584d5hnp.png
0wujyy7np0ft.png
hzk5p35sq0ru.png
c6c47kivitv7.png
drbm0czzmf90.png
- Sam

Comments

• edited January 2021 Posts: 3,583
    To me, that is skiing. No glitz, no corporate stuff, just snow, adequate lifts, and some thwack showing on some of the trails to remind you that you are actually out in nature and not skiing on a carpet.
  • To me, that is skiing. No glitz, no corporate stuff, just snow, adequate lifts, and some thwack showing on some of the trails to remind you that you are actually out in nature and not skiing on a carpet.

I agree, you don't get a more authentic experience than at Black!
    - Sam
    One of the best ski days of my life at Black NH
    I’m sure Ibrake4tbars would agree

http://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/2271/ciscokid-ibrake-tom-white-cranmore-black-1-4-19#latest

I rented a house in Jackson in 1989 with my fiancé and 15 of our friends :) . We used it the most... and skied at Black NH once every weekend - usually Sunday because they had a 1/2 day Sunday morning ticket back then. We skied Sunday River now and then which was a 40 min drive thru the notch - but it was the early years of the Barker HSQ and that was a thing. No corp passes for us back then. Just day tickets. Black was always our favorite place in the Conway area.
    Nice report. I’m glad the lift is open again. I’m hoping to make it to Black sometime soon. Like many of you it’s a favorite of mine.
  • ciscokid wrote: »

http://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/2271/ciscokid-ibrake-tom-white-cranmore-black-1-4-19#latest

Darn right I agree.

IBRAKE
    Glad to see a lot more white stuff there. They've had a rough start this season. I'm rooting for them! Thanks for the report.
    ciscokid wrote: »
    Darn right I agree.
    IBRAKE

I skied with you guys at Cranmore the day before/after you were at Black. When you can do another NE trip post-Covid, we should plan a SJ day or two.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 1,097
    Any interest in joining us for the Hannes Schneider Meister Cup at Cranmore, March 2022? We could field a SJ/NELSAP team (s), and it is also a whole ski history filled weekend. You'd all enjoy it! We could hit Black on that Sunday too.
    Yes, I would be interested.
  • Wish I didn't have to work weekends
    - Sam
    Sign me up. Although I've never raced before
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I'm heading over to Black shortly and Whitney's J bar is running today. I'll try to get some pictures. Never been on it!
    Great for next year! As we get closer I'll share more details.
    Whitney's J bar in action. I'll try to post a report when back home in a couple days. 6pic83c5phxy.png
    76oqakb661n2.png
    568n4i4yjo2h.png
  • edited March 2021 Posts: 5,485
    Thanks for the pics! That's a lift I've always wanted to ride. It's by far the oldest overhead cable lift in New England.
    - Sam
    So cool Chuck!

How high would you say that cable is off the ground?
    Pretty low, maybe 12 feet or a bit more with the low tide snowpack. You could probably almost touch it with a deep base😀
    TomWhite wrote: »
    ciscokid wrote: »
    Darn right I agree.
    IBRAKE

I skied with you guys at Cranmore the day before/after you were at Black. When you can do another NE trip post-Covid, we should plan a SJ day or two.

Oh, Black of NH has to happen again. I suspect most forms of normalcy will be here next season so a NH ski trip is in my plans.
    I will be up in MWV later this week and want to do one day at Black. How are they doing coverage wise. I see they are now going to be closed Mon-Tues and reopen Wed. Will much still be open then?
    Snow cover Saturday was low tide. It looks like they barely made any snow, and with the southern exposure it's going fast. There were a number of mostly easy trails open from the triple, and a couple of short glades. The snow surface was great spring snow if you like thin cover and bare spots. I personally love those conditions. Go Wednesday if you can as they haven't committed to opening after that, but I think they'll make the weekend.
    That was this year you rode the J bar?? I’m so jealous. My 2 times there it wasn’t open.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Yes, it was Saturday March 13. It ran both days this past weekend for a few hours each day.
    Ah, so jealous. Hopefully one of these years I'll catch a ride.