Jay Peak tram down for maintenance through the fall.

Heard the rumor from a friend and it's on their Facebook page. It's down for a while-- hopefully back for winter:

From time to time we do repair work on the tram. The aim is to schedule maintenance for non-operating periods, but sometimes mechanical issues occur that must be addressed when the situation arises. This is such a time where the mechanical work must be done otherwise the lift would not be operational. The work requires engineering and support from Austria and will require a time commitment that makes operation these next few weeks not possible. These repairs can’t be done in the freezing weather because ice on the towers and cables jeopardizes the safe repair of the vehicle. This is the reality of the procedure and we must approach it in this safe and prudent way. We are very sorry not to be able to offer scenic foliage tram rides, but if we don’t address these issues now, we could face the risk of a winter interruption, and none of us want that. Thank you.
"Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
Greg Stump

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    edited October 2015 Posts: 759
    "...but sometimes mechanical issues occur that must be addressed when the situation arises."

"These repairs can’t be done in the freezing weather because ice on the towers and cables jeopardizes the safe repair of the vehicle."

So it sounds like these repairs are not vital repairs and that they didn't bother to do them all summer. Nice.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    obienick said:

"...but sometimes mechanical issues occur that must be addressed when the situation arises."

"These repairs can’t be done in the freezing weather because ice on the towers and cables jeopardizes the safe repair of the vehicle."

So it sounds like these repairs are not vital repairs and that they didn't bother to do them all summer. Nice.
    Don't they use it all summer for tourist rides?  Based on the wx channel, they are past peak foliage up there - so it seems like an ideal time to shut it down for repairs.
    But this info was released two weeks ago.  One would think they'd wait until after today.  They even reply that it's mostly routine.
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    My understanding is that they are rebuilding the "trucks" - carrying devices for the cabins.
    Big project that takes a lot of engineering review ( on a 60's vintage Von Roll) and time to generate parts that are no longer in production.
    When do you expect the work to be done...at night?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 759
    As in what rides along the cable tracks? The tram cars were replaced in 2000 or so.  There should be plenty of parts, no?

"When do you expect the work to be done...at night?"

1. Mud season
    2. Post-Columbus Day
    3. *Not* the two weeks leading up to Columbus Day a.k.a. prime peeper season

BWDIK.
  • LiftGuyLiftGuy advanced
    obienick said:

As in what rides along the cable tracks? The tram cars were replaced in 2000 or so.  There should be plenty of parts, no?

"When do you expect the work to be done...at night?"

1. Mud season
    2. Post-Columbus Day
    3. *Not* the two weeks leading up to Columbus Day a.k.a. prime peeper season

BWDIK.
    The  Cabins and hangers were replaced in 2000 but what rides on the cables were not.
    I'm sure they weighed their options and timing before they made this decision.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    edited October 2015 Posts: 193
    Leaves are about to be past peak, I think its a good time to start maintenance.
    ~Rich~
    ADKskier said:

This was 2 weeks ago, no? Facebook post was September 29.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    obienick said:

ADKskier said:

This was 2 weeks ago, no? Facebook post was September 29.
    A lot of times, management doesn't tell the real truth.  Maybe their insurance ran out at the end of September and the underwriter said, "We won't continue the insurance unless you fix X, Y and Z."  I've told the story in SJ 1 how a chairlift shut down on a warm spring day at Temple Mt.  A number of irate guests asked what's going on.  The management answer, "In the warmth of the day, grease was falling from the shivs and a few guests complained about ruined parkas."  About an hour later, they started letting only patrol and ski school go up 1 to a chair, then 2, then 3, then 4, and then the public.  It turned out that a weld had failed on one of the towers.  When they reopened the lift, we found out about a year later that Ski School and Ski Patrol were the load test for their weld.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Somehow, I really doubt that Jay thought this would happen during prime leaf peeper season. If they knew about it before the issue happened, they probably assessed the issue and thought it could get done after leaf peeping and before ski season. Or perhaps they didn't know it was as bad as it was. In either case, I think it is safe to assume Jay's management aren't total idiots and know a thing or two about running a resort and maintaining their lifts. Sucks for them and bummer for those that pre-booked a vacation but suggesting Jay blew this really discounts the fact that they KNOW this hurts them and they would likely have avoided the situation if they had known this would happen.