New Trail Maps!

Topic is new trail maps, I imagine many of us are waiting to see what Gore comes up with -- it couldn't be worse, so we got that to look forward to.

One I just stumbled on that I think is a vast improvement -- admittedly less accurate, but infinitely easier to follow -- is from Loveland, which used to have a pair of maps from two different perspectives, now shown on one:

Comments

yeah that is better overall.   who cares if they miss a twist or turn.   why does it extend an extra ridge to the right, are they now encouraging us to go over that ridge and funnel back down to the highway ?   hmmmm

Topic is new trail maps, I imagine many of us are waiting to see what Gore comes up with -- it couldn't be worse, so we got that to look forward to.

One I just stumbled on that I think is a vast improvement -- admittedly less accurate, but infinitely easier to follow -- is from Loveland, which used to have a pair of maps from two different perspectives, now shown on one:

Whoa there.  The new one could be like Hunter's.

That Loveland map is a significant improvement over the last one with the two views.  Why they had to overcomplicate it is anyone's guess.  I'm disappointed the new map doesn't have snowflakes on the snowmaking trails.
    Jackson Hole with the Teton lift: https://skimap.org/data/151/7/1445183450.jpg
    New trail map this year.

http://www.whaleback.com/trail-map/
  • newpylong said:

New trail map this year.

http://www.whaleback.com/trail-map/

Someone in another thread indicated that not all of Whaleback's trails are viable anymore due to erosion, growth of vegetation, etc.  Anyone know if that's true and, if so, what specific trails on that map aren't likely to open anytime soon (if ever)?
    The only trail that would come close to that is the tree run YOOYM it is not open often due to ledge and downed trees. Some of the trees were cleaned up this year but not all. The result is there has to be serious snow to open, but it happens. The balance of the mountain is open normally with good snow.
  • I've always wanted to ski YOOYM, but it's never been open when I've visited, but the rest of the mountain is amazing!
    - Sam
    It is very challenging. It's on the radar to clean up, hopefully next year.

New (cleaned up) glade this year between Spout and Blowhole that should be challenging as well.
    What's the rap on the Gore map?
  • Harvey said:

Is this a Ski Area Rap Music Challenge, Harvey ?
    Harvey said:

Jeepers Harvey, I figured of all people you might know what's going on! No sign of it yet.
    The rap, meaning the criminal charges not the rhyming braggadocio, is that it doesn't look at all like the actual topography of the mountain. I found it adequate for navigating, having studied the topo map, aerial photos and Google Earth before I went.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,962
    oh THAT rap.  I thought he meant the other kind.

I was all set to answer, I used an automatic online rap generator.  I plug in a few words, kind of like Mad-Libs.  The internet can do so much!  Here it is...

The Gore Maps Hip Hop
    In The Style Of Eminem

May I have your attention please? 
    I'm not afraid (I'm not afraid)
    To ski (to ski)
    Everybody (everybody)
    Come remake my map (come take my map)
    We'll walk through North Creek together, through the storm
    Whatever weather, cold or warm

His maps are confusing, raps rough, legends are smelly
    There's food on his goggles already, friend's chili
    He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to ski,
    But he keeps on forgetting what the map says,

And I am, lost
    If I wasn't, then why would I say I am?
    In the paper, the news everyday I am
    Radio won't even play my jam
    'Cause I am, lost
    If I wasn't, then why would I say I am?
    In the paper, the news everyday I am
    I don't know it's just the way I am

You better snowboard
    You own it, you better never let it go
    You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to ski
    This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo

So lets go back
    Follow the the Gore trail map as we go on another episode
    Journey with me as I take you through North Creek
    I once used to call home sweet home

Well, gotta go, I'm almost at the Gore Mountain now

And when I'm gone, just ski, don't mourn
    Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my confusing maps
    Just know that I'm looking down on you skiing
    >And I didn't feel a thing, Chatiemac don't feel no pain
    Just snowboard
    And when he's gone, just ski, don't mourn
    Rejoice every time you hear the sound of his rough raps
    Just know that he's looking down on you confusing
    And his didn't feel a thing, Santanoni don't feel no pain
    Just snowboard in your goggles.
  • Rick, We want to see a YouTube video of you performing that rap . \:D/  .......Er, on second thought, no we don't.  ;)
  • Rick, We want to see a YouTube video of you performing that rap . \:D/  .......Er, on second thought, no we don't.  ;)

LOL.. yes!
    slow day at the office......
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Rick: It is clear that you are in desperate need of a day of skiing! Make that a week.
    LOL.  Hey you guys can't blame me, I just fed some Gore verbage into a program, yo!
    haha, that was pretty good.
    ~Rich~

Not exactly a trail map, but here's a nice attempt to put the location of all 636 ski areas in the Alps on one jam-packed map:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/970979684/the-alps-636-ski-resorts-one-map

Looking for a new map from Arizona Snow Bowl, they're adding a lift and doing some kind of trail work

• edited October 2015 Posts: 580
    New Glades
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    That's pretty bad.  I don't understand how that style of map has been gaining so much traction.
    Hunter mountain has the same type.....
    ~Rich~
    At least the Swain one isn't pastels.  :-O
    That would be computer-generated, wouldn't it? With the little tree triangles, it's not easy to distinguish between "glades" and just woods.
    Doesnt even resemble deciduous forests....I don't like them at all. 
    ~Rich~
    You can't really see all of Gore from anywhere. I can see why the map would be tough.  I think Gore's is ok.
    Harvey said:

You can't really see all of Gore from anywhere. I can see why the map would be tough.  I think Gore's is ok

"OK" once you know the place. Honestly I didn't ski there for years -- specifically because of the trail map. Didn't make a lot of sense, couldn't put it together in my head. Once I went there I understood it, and I think they'd do a lot better if they had a better map and better marketing.

Then again, maybe we don't want that?! ;))
    In fairness I don't really use the map. I mostly just follow the men in black.