Which expert trail is on your bucket list to conquer?

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 785
For me it has to be Paradise and/or the Octopus Garden at MRG.

But not until I'm in tip top shape and my reflexes are better. I've heard that the Garden is NOT for the faint of heart or skill.

IBRAKE

Comments

I want to try some of the drops and cliffs in the woods at Veterans Memorial. I'd also like to try Y.O.O.Y.M. at Whaleback and Patriot Glades and Granite Gorge.
    - Sam
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing advanced
    Starr at Stowe
  • SnowmasterSnowmaster advanced
    I'm not a mogul guy, so I'd love to catch some of the classic New England steeps groomed. Some may think that's cheating. Goat and Castlerock have to top the list
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,009
    I'm past that point at this age. Although I could still " get down" most steeps I don't have to prove anything to myself or anyone else. I have gone down stuff at Jackson years back that scared me and don't see it ever happening again.

It will be a while before the grandsons say "come on grampa you can do it".

I'm sure there's lots of stuff at Bohemia I wouldn't do but still want to get there someday
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    Tramline at Cannon
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    "Bucket list" to me implies something I would do if I had the opportunity.  As such, Courbet's (Jackson Hole) might have been on that list 40 years ago, but certainly isn't now.  I suspect that D. J.'s Tramline and Kinsman Glade at Cannon might have been on that list, but I got them last in the 2013-4 season.  So, if there is a trail I haven't skied on my mythical "bucket list", I am unaware of it!
  • bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    The Inferno...
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • mapnutmapnut expert

But not until I'm in tip top shape and my reflexes are better.

Ibrake can still hope. I don't want to turn this into an old-guys-complaining-about-what-they-can't-do-anymore thread, but my reflexes are never going to get better and I've given up on skiing moguls for fun. Starr is out of the question. I've yet to do "Jaws" at Mount Snow, mainly because I can't get a look at it before I commit. I know I don't want to do Ripcord next door.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,413
    mapnut said:

Ibrake can still hope. I don't want to turn this into an old-guys-complaining-about-what-they-can't-do-anymore thread, but my reflexes are never going to get better and I've given up on skiing moguls for fun. Starr is out of the question. I've yet to do "Jaws" at Mount Snow, mainly because I can't get a look at it before I commit. I know I don't want to do Ripcord next door.

The headwall on Ripcord (one called, Slalom Glade) is intense.  Jaws and PDF are very similar and are not all that steep.  Narrowness is the more significant parameter.. 

mapnut said:

The headwall on Ripcord (one called, Slalom Glade) is intense.  Jaws and PDF are very similar and are not all that steep.  Narrowness is the more significant parameter.. 

Moguls were never really my thing, though I could ski them in my teens and twenties. Sorta. I got the mogul field out of my system when I skied Outer Limits top to bottom back in 1986 when I was 16. Now, I like my diamonds and double diamonds steep but groomed.

IBRAKE

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Snowshed Headwall

High Speed Quad - A ski lift that enables a skier to rapidly get from the front of one lift-line to the rear of another.

• ski_itski_it expert
    Tractorline at Gebbie Tow
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • abubobabubob advanced
    skirick said:

Tramline at Cannon

This ^

I was just thinking about this. There was a thread on AlpineZone about which trail intimidates you the most. I said Tramline at Cannon. I took a bit of flack for that at the time and since have seen a couple POV from there. I've been down Kinsman before and I'm thinking that the pitch on Tramline is similar even if the terrain is completely different - so before I become too many years older I wanna try Kinsman and Tramline the same day. May have to wait until later in the season for coverage so I'll keep an eye on things.
    abubob said:

skirick said:

Tramline at Cannon

This ^

I was just thinking about this. There was a thread on AlpineZone about which trail intimidates you the most. I said Tramline at Cannon. I took a bit of flack for that at the time and since have seen a couple POV from there. I've been down Kinsman before and I'm thinking that the pitch on Tramline is similar even if the terrain is completely different - so before I become too many years older I wanna try Kinsman and Tramline the same day. May have to wait until later in the season for coverage so I'll keep an eye on things.
    My fantasy run has got to be Corbetts over at Jackson Hole. I've yet to jump a cornice let alone attempt that legendary couloir!

IBRAKE
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    I've decided that Rumor at Gore is too risky. Maybe it's the sign that reads ... "can result in serious injury or death" that is keeping me off it now.

Realistically, Red Line, and Magician at Magic. Organ Grinder at Sugarbush. Outer Limits at Killington.
    "I need a powder day"
    Skizix said:

I've decided that Rumor at Gore is too risky. Maybe it's the sign that reads ... "can result in serious injury or death" that is keeping me off it now.

Realistically, Red Line, and Magician at Magic. Organ Grinder at Sugarbush. Outer Limits at Killington.

I loved that sign atop Outer Limits that says, "Advanced skier?? You better be!!!"
  • BrklynskierBrklynskier novice
    The Slides

The Slides

The Slides are supposed to be incredible when the powder is fresh and deep.

• JimKJimK advanced
    I have skied a number of "signature" expert trails at different ski areas, not that I'm a super skilled skier.  I just enjoy seeing what all the fuss is about and I have a lot of years of survival training.  ;))  I was very impressed the time not so long ago when Joshua Segal posted that he skied Tramline at Cannon because that is a very intimidating looking run.  

There are many steeps I would not do because of bad consequences that can mean no skiing for a while or forever.  But what I have found is that once you do a renowned steep trail the fear of the unknown goes away and it doesn't hold quite 
    the same mystique anymore.  However, if it's really steep and/or rocky, you better continue to pay attention no matter how many times you ski it.

Didn't do Corbet's during a visit this season.  Didn't want to risk cutting a special season short, but took a good long look down it.  It's doable for a standard double diamond skier if you catch it at a time when the entrance is friendly. 

This is in one of the Lake Chutes at Breckenridge.  Very nice snow this day made it quite doable.  Hardest part was the 15 minute hike at 13k feet to get to it.

Surviving Needles Eye at Breckenridge:

West Turbo at Arapahoe Basin.  One of the consequences of skiing in this area was that I tore an edge out of one of my skis [-X

Looking back up Prima Cornice at Vail.  It can be important for your survival to find a local to lead you down sketchy runs.

There is some great advanced terrain at Kirkwood, CA.  When the snow is bad it tends to make challenging ski trails even harder.
  • abubobabubob advanced
    Skizix said:

I've decided to ignore the warning on Tramline as more people have died on intermediate terrain.
    P3040070.JPG
    3072 x 2304 - 2M
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,413
    abubob said:

Skizix said:

I've decided to ignore the warning on Tramline as more people have died on intermediate terrain.
    No question DJ Tramline at Cannon is an extremely difficult run, especially because there is no snowmaking. When I took it, there were places where I had to stop and figure out tactics for the next stretch of terrain to get between boulders and down (sometimes around) small cliffs.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

Finally this season I knew that Goat and Upper Starr would be open for my annual trip to Stowe. I chose Starr and it was very good.

Kinsman Glade and Tramway didn't exist (officially) the last time I skied Cannon. They're on my list.

Someone should post pics and/or videos of off-piste goodness at MRG, like Paradise, the Octopus Garden, the Ice Palace (I think that's what it's called), and the 19th and 20th hole.