Lawsuit Over Road Access Threatens Operation of Seven Springs PA

Not sure of the merits of this case in Pennsylvania without knowing more about the road's status.  I'm also curious why the home was built in this location if access is so difficult.

Woody

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    edited November 2015 Posts: 723
    Did some looking on GoogleEarth.

Their house is about 3/4 of the way up the ski area extreme skiers right (ski-in/ski-out).  The road is a dirt road and cuts across about half the resort about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way up, much like the Midstate Trail at Wachusett, but more improved.  With it closed, depending on where you go, it can add up to a 2.6 mile detour, about half of which is on a dirt road.

There are two other houses, a third house or possibly a church, and a cemetary built along the road near them, and a subdivision of 3 houses built near the far end.

USGS plots the road as an "Unimproved Road".  As far as dirt roads go, it looks to be in great shape, at least where it is visible to satellite imagery.

I don't know the merits of the case either, but I highly doubt they will get an injunction to prohibit snowmaking on those trails.  Any half-brained lawyer would be able to argue that an injunction would produce irreparable harm to the ski area.

If worse comes to worse, there appears to be an equally well-maintained maintenance road on Lost Girl Trail and Great Western.  This could be plowed to provide access with limited terrain closure as there is a maintenence road along the bottom to access the lifts over there.