Using The Pit

mapnutmapnut expert
in The Pit Posts: 772

The Pit at the old Snowjournal didn't get as much use as I thought it should. Maybe half the posts there were skiing topics; I got the impression that some people thought if it wasn't NELSAP-related, it belonged in the Pit. Maybe we Snowjournalists don't have many common interests? Jeremy once started a Gardening topic in The Pit, which interests me, but there weren't many other responses.

Even our epic discussion of beer got posted as "The Beers of NELSAPPers".

What's your favorite non-skiing topic to discuss?

Comments

Probably hiking; I know many of us do it, but we don't talk about it a lot.
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    mapnut said:

What's your favorite non-skiing topic to discuss?

Beer, or maybe the Streisand effect.  Probably stick with beer.
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Snowjournal hikes have usually been to NELSAP places, so they didn't get into The Pit!

Great hiking for New Yorkers in the Hudson Highlands.

• bmwskierbmwskier advanced
    If we're talking gardening then how about chickens? I had 12 in December, lost one to a damn weasel that I nearly caught with my bare hands necessitating all of them moving into the outdoor sauna (don't ask what it smells like now) and now I find that I have to keep them in their pen because a fox has taken two more. Don't want to blast the fox (circle of life, etc, etc) but looking for ideas on how to get rid of him/her. Caught the punk on a critter cam hauling away the corpses of his kills. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

If we're talking gardening then how about chickens? I had 12 in December, lost one to a damn weasel that I nearly caught with my bare hands necessitating all of them moving into the outdoor sauna (don't ask what it smells like now) and now I find that I have to keep them in their pen because a fox has taken two more. Don't want to blast the fox (circle of life, etc, etc) but looking for ideas on how to get rid of him/her. Caught the punk on a critter cam hauling away the corpses of his kills. 

Finally, a thread meant for hijacking! :D
    - Sam
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 772

My brother-in-law kept ducks for a few years; loved their personalities and enjoyed the eggs, but the fox kept getting them and he finally gave up. I could use a fox, to help with my gardening.

There can be no hijacking in The Pit.

• mapnutmapnut expert
    Speaking of hiking in the Hudson Highlands - view of Storm King and Schunnemunk Mountains from a hilltop on the other side of the Hudson.
    IMG_3951.JPG
    2272 x 1704 - 2M
    Does hiking the Shawangunk Ridge count as a part of the highlands?
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    No, there's a wide river valley (the Wallkill) in between.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 887
    Oh, okay. Wasn't entirely sure.

The highlands....are you just following the river straight north as if heading to Albany? Or is this a region distinct from the river valley?
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    mapnut said:

Speaking of hiking in the Hudson Highlands - view of Storm King and Schunnemunk Mountains from a hilltop on the other side of the Hudson.

Breakneck Ridge?
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Marcski - it's from Sugarloaf Hill, 925 feet, just north of Breakneck. My favorite short climb, and one of the prettiest open summits, with an unlimited selection of picnic spots.

Ibrake, in my judgment the Hudson Highlands run from Suffern in Rockland County to Cornwall in Orange County, on the west side of the river, and from Peekskill in Westchester County to Beacon in Dutchess County on the east side. Schunnemunk is the highest peak on the west side and Beacon Mt. the highest on the east side, both about 1600 feet. There are great hiking trails all over. The area includes Harriman, Bear Mountain and Fahnestock State Parks and lots of preserves. Fahnestock, Silvermine and Dutchess lost ski areas.

Mapnut,

The Hudson River Valley is one of the prettiest areas in the northeast in my opinion and one I would very much love to hike. I've not hiked there and don't really know a good starting point. What is a particular path or trail that would be a "start here?" Unless, of course, there are too many to choose from!

IBRAKE

Mapnut,

The Hudson River Valley is one of the prettiest areas in the northeast in my opinion and one I would very much love to hike. I've not hiked there and don't really know a good starting point. What is a particular path or trail that would be a "start here?" Unless, of course, there are too many to choose from!

IBRAKE

I've driven through and it looks very nice, but I haven't yet gotten the chance to hike there.
    - Sam
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Of course there are the Catskills, overlooking the Hudson valley, as well as the more southerly Highlands. Definitely too many trails to sort out. There are some good books. Marcski, do you have some favorite Highlands hikes?