Embedding photos

marcskimarcski advanced
edited May 2015 in Website Discussion Posts: 198
Is there a way to embed a photo image in a post that is hosted on another site. Are there any BBC codes that work on this new forum software like "[img]photo url[/img]". 

Comments

I've been trying to figure out the same thing! I'm sure I could, it would just take a few minutes.
    - Sam
  • abubobabubob advanced
    I found that the insert photo button works well for an isolated graphic (on it's own window) but the bbc codes on flickr don't seem to work. So for me to post a photo I either upload directly, which leads to having a small preview, or a three step process to get to an isolated or static photo from flickr. It's a little frustrating but working around a problem has always been the way here.

So I copy the url info for this isolated or static photo from flickr, click the little photo icon towards the right of the menu bar, paste said url address over the http:// that's already there in the provided window and viola! 

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 743

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited May 2015 Posts: 743

Killington

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• marcskimarcski advanced
    Yes, I don't think the photo icon was a live "hot button" when I originally posted this thread.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    OK, so the photo button is live, but it requires a URL.  Does that mean I need to post my photos online elsewhere first, then link from SJ?  

Are direct uploads from my computer to my message on SJ possible? I haven't succeeded in the past but will try "Attach a File" now.
    Box Turtle w Transmitter copy.JPG
    2128 x 1470 - 1M
    2006-07 Box Turtles Points copy.jpg
    1630 x 2160 - 1M
    Well, for some reason the attachments loaded!  I'd been told that I was attaching files that were too large (I think).

Great.  Looks like I'm in business.

Woody
  • obienickobienick expert
    Click on the 5th button from the right (just left of the add hyperlink button).
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Looks like you still need to hit the "insert image" link below the icon (after you upload the photo) in order to have a large image in the post

edited September 2016 Posts: 216
    OK, thanks.  I'll try again.  Uhhhh....

OB, when I click the 5th button from the right (its icon looks like a picture), I get a drop-down box asking for a link that begins with http.  What if I just want to upload from my computer instead of from Flickr or other online website?

obienick said:

Click on the 5th button from the right (just left of the add hyperlink button).

edited September 2016 Posts: 216

Looks like you still need to hit the "insert image" link below the icon (after you upload the photo) in order to have a large image in the post

Here goes, Rick.  

I'll click "Attach a file".  I get "choose file," so I choose this photo of Donald Trump.  

No "insert image" option appears, but I see the thumbnail in my post.  I can click it to make the image full-sized but still can't seem to embed the photo.  Not a problem unless SJ readers can't see the full image.  Can you?

I try a second image, also a jpeg. I get a button scrolling "uploading".  I go outdoors, mow the lawn, cook supper and drive up to Burke and back from here in Virginia to see if any snow has fallen yet.  I get back and the "uploading" button is still scrolling.  (And there's no snow at Burke.)

I try another jpeg image; it refers to one of your favorite entertainers. The image loads quickly (as a thumbnail).  

Just sayin'.

Voices.jpg
    403 x 403 - 31K
    Karma Chameleon.jpg
    550 x 400 - 17K
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited September 2016 Posts: 956
    I suggest you click on the menu above where it says greetings, and read the how-to, third item, how to embed a photo....while I get a chicken salad sandwich

Chicken sandwich?  No, I'll have a five-piece McNuggets.  

Yabbadabbadoo!

Poobah.jpg
    222 x 300 - 15K
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Anchorman.gif
    400 x 260 - 996K
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,548

Sorry I didn't see this earlier as I may have had a solution. Glad to see you got it fixed.

I had this same problem you describe with 2 files, with it just sitting there saying "Uploading". Stumped me for a bit. Then I saw in my case it was because there was an apostrophe in my file names. There are probably other characters it doesn't like.

The other puzzling thing was when I posted a question here (below post linky) it did not show up under new discussions like your question did. So I was on my own....as usual.

http://snowjournal.nplas.com/discussion/7/snowjournal-2-0-problems-you-ve-encountered#latest

Once we had a printer that wouldn't print pdfs starting with zero, but that's a story for another blog.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Or you could just send them via Austrailia X_X
  • steamboat1steamboat1 advanced
    Far to difficult for me