"Whose" open or closed this weekend?

Jiminy Peak posted they will be closed 12/11 & 12 and plan to reopen the following weekend 12/19 & 20. Typically they begin night skiing that weekend...
"I need a powder day"<br>

Comments

I find this site best to answer that question.  Sortable by state, region etc. 

I'm thinking that the local resorts here in SNE may not open until next year.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • Ragged is open today through the weekend.....operations during next week are still undecided.
    I'm passing on this weekend and waiting for some cold weather skiing. And waiting, and waiting, and waiting, LOL
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Sunapee closed today for the week and hopes to reopen on Sunday the 20th.
    I expect a lot of local ski areas to open for the season this Sunday/Monday.
    sugarloaf said:

I'm not so sure about that.  The temps will be "OK" for many of the local ski areas but not great by any means for the amount of time that an area typically needs to put enough snow done to open a trail from scratch :(

You'll probably see some of them make some snow, with the hopes that some of those piles will be left after the likely blow torch that will be around roughly centered on Christmas Day so that it will take less time after that to hopefully get open, given that even then it will likely just be a situation where they'll have a few hours of marginal temps to make snow a few days of the week verses a sustained run - ugh!!!!  We need cold and snow, and for more than just a day or 2 a week!!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,811
    Cold for more than just a day or two is not happening this year, so it's either this weekend or nothing. Smaller places like Mohawk/Sundown/Butternut etc, don't need a lot of snowmaking to open, as the runs are short. I don't expect miles of trails to open, but perhaps low angle terrain/beginner areas to generate revenue for the holiday week.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,493
    sugarloaf said:

Here in Central NH Sat and Sun nights are looking to be 25-28 degrees with 55% humidity. Daytime will not allow snowmaking.

Unless they can open in only two short nights of good to marginal snowmaking conditions, not a shot for many. The ground isn't even frozen and most areas are mud.

For instance, Whaleback is going to try to make snow in that time period but since it is nowhere near enough time to hit their target TTB opening day (12/26) so they will open the Learning Area and hope whatever they make anywhere else will last.

The GOOD news is that overnight lows from 12/27 on look tasty for snowmaking.
    January to April 1983 had a switch to colder/snowier weather with the last major El-Nino. One can only hope/pray that happens this season.
    newpylong said:

sugarloaf said:

Here in Central NH Sat and Sun nights are looking to be 25-28 degrees with 55% humidity. Daytime will not allow snowmaking.

Unless they can open in only two short nights of good to marginal snowmaking conditions, not a shot for many. The ground isn't even frozen and most areas are mud.

For instance, Whaleback is going to try to make snow in that time period but since it is nowhere near enough time to hit their target TTB opening day (12/26) so they will open the Learning Area and hope whatever they make anywhere else will last.

The GOOD news is that overnight lows from 12/27 on look tasty for snowmaking.
    There's also a chance the cold shot is colder than forecast. This mornings lows where colder than originally forecast across Northern New England.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 458
    Looking at different models: it looks like almost everything in January is normal with predicted snowfalls. I'm just feeling like a holding pattern and continue riding "#$hi" at Sugarbush and Mount Snow until the new year.

Let's just say: the snowmaking reservoirs are full and they're ready to go whenever. It's going to be epic to see the amount of snow blown once a continued cold starts......
    Sugarloaf and Killington look to have snowmaking going on all day today. Sugarloaf is currently making snow TTB.
    Sunday River actually added terrain today. Up to 13 miles and 183 acres. Quite impressive with this limited window.
    Jiminy Peak plans to blow as much snow as possible over this colder weekend and open full time for day & night on Tuesday the 22nd.
  • Mad River Glen is starting snowmaking this weekend according to an email update.
    - Sam
  • RAGGED'S OPEN..............$19 lift tickets.......free learn to ski program including rental, lesson, and learning center lift ticket. See www.raggedmountainresort.com for details....

You all talk about getting out there supporting the mountains.....here's where the rubber meets the road. They are making the effort to make this happen.....time to show some LOVE!!!!!!
  • Mt. Ellen at Sugarbush will not be opening tomorrow. Tentatively rescheduled for the 26th.
    Jiminy Peak now plans to reopen Saturday, December 26th. -  days only, no night skiing yet. Snow guns have been blasting 11 trails continuously since Friday evening!!!  ...now it just has to survive the warm temps and some rain showers. The Aerial Park and other summer activities will be running to help keep people busy who long ago booked this week; this warm #%&*! weather just stinks! 
    Sunday River is up to 33 trails, 15 miles and over 200 acres of terrain.  It doesn't seem like the carnage is quite as bad in Maine.  Sugarloaf is holding their own as well.  Hopefully these next few days are the last of the warmth til April.
    Wachusett is closed until 12/25 in an effort to preserve the cover that they have. I'm kind of doubtful the thin cover survives until Friday with the heat wave coming in on Thursday.
  • Unfortunately, Pico will be among the closed this weekend. They made snow when they could but like so many it is not enough. Killington is honoring Pico passes for the holiday. Part good customer service and my guess part desperation to get at least some more additional food and beverage money. I can't imagine being the finance guy for a ski area in New England so far this year.  Glad Killington is making the offer regardless of the reason.  Sunapee looks to be open. They had good but solid coverage this past weekend.  How it can possibly handle a lot of holiday skiers is another question.
    Ski Sundown is planning on opening January 2nd, but that looks unlikely based on the current forecast. I think 1/3 may be possible. Basically the local resorts will have missed the entire Christmas vacation period and about 3 weeks of their season.

Ski Sundown has the guns on:

• edited December 2015 Posts: 1,811
  • Weekend is a few days away but Pico has announced they are opening Saturday the 2nd.
  • Weekend is a few days away but Pico has announced they are opening Saturday the 2nd.

Likely only a trail or two on the lower mountain. I don't think they started blowing on the upper mountain yet. Maybe they can get 49'er & mid Pike open by Sat. but they are not promising it will be open. Pico passholders & pre-purchase Pico ticket holders can ski Killington until Jan. 8.
    Saddleback's webcam http://www.saddlebackmaine.com/webcam shows it still snowing hard there. Such a pity they have no staff or working lifts!

Likely only a trail or two on the lower mountain. I don't think they started blowing on the upper mountain yet. Maybe they can get 49'er & mid Pike open by Sat. but they are not promising it will be open. Pico passholders & pre-purchase Pico ticket holders can ski Killington until Jan. 8.
    I am not expecting much on Saturday but I am still really looking forward to getting some use of my pass at Pico.  I have already used the three Sunapee days which counts but it is not the same!  I have not taken advantage of the Killington days although it is a nice thing they did.  If I can get next Thursday off from work I may do it before it ends.  I planned on being at Pico next Friday anyway.