Fire @ Stone Hut, Stowe

edited December 2015 in NELSAP Forum

Comments

• Such a loss.  One of the most unique skiing experiences in New England was starting your day at the top of Stowe.  I'll be curious to hear what Vermont State parks plans to do.
  • I have been in the Stone Hut many times. This seems odd to have a fire with only the wood stove for heat. No electricity.

It has been standing for 80 plus years.

The only real "wood" to it is the rafters and door.

I hope it can be a quick fix. The CCC can have it done in a day.
  • edited December 2015
  • This is so sad. What a shame something the CCC built so many decades ago is now lost.
  • This is awful.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Betsy said:
    The report didn't say it, but after reading the police statement, it sounded like the cause of the fire was abject stupidity on the part of the renters. 
  • Betsy said:
    The report didn't say it, but after reading the police statement, it sounded like the cause of the fire was abject stupidity on the part of the renters. 
    Why, because you can't leave a woodstove lit? Or is it possible, that whomever was in charge of the maintenance of the stove and stove pipe, never got off their asses and did it.
  • edited December 2015

Betsy said:
    Why, because you can't leave a woodstove lit? Or is it possible, that whomever was in charge of the maintenance of the stove and stove pipe, never got off their asses and did it.
    No because stacking wood next to, and leaning on the stove to dry and then leaving the fire unattended is not intelligent.

• teighs said:

Betsy said:
    No because stacking wood next to, and leaning on the stove to dry and then leaving the fire unattended is not intelligent.

While ME2VTskier asked me, teighs' answer is the one I would have given.
  • What a loss all around.  While I never stayed there (and personally had no interest in doing so), it's a shame to lose it because in its own way it was quite beautiful.  And I can't believe the lack of common sense involved. 

I wonder if it will be rebuilt.  I suspect there was no insurance.  On the other hand, it might be the sort of thing that the resort should consider doing for PR purposes and public goodwill.  They certainly have pockets deep enough to do so even if there are no insurance proceeds.
  • edited December 2015
    You can leave them lit but not open. And not with flammable materials leaning against them. Would you leave your fireplace screen off and unattended for 16 hours with a pile of wood on the hearth? I'm going to guess that floor was wood too?

Some stoves or ovens even have wood dryers. On another note, didn't seem to be many skiers there paying $108 or whatever it is
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Flat out stupidity.

I hope they are held responsible in some form.

You can't fix stupid.

• You can't fix stupid.
    Or is it just arrogant rich kids?  I hope they are required to provide restitution.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=389

• I hope they do too. Especially it being the Burton family, you'd think they would take charge, but affluenza is a real problem. Bad publicity for the family and you can really see how much they're avoiding the spotlight.
  • edited February 2016
    Affluenza indeed.

According to Stowe Today, when the Carpenters realized their friend would not be going to the Stone House that night, the Carpenters "'figured if there was a fire, it had already happened,' and it would take them about two hours to get to it. 'They stated they never called anyone to let them know about the stove.'"
  • Absolutely terrible justification. Criminal mischief? Stowe has come very far from it's old ski days to the whole AIG face, but that hut encapsulated so much. of that history, sad to see its originality ruined by such ignorance.
  • Rebuilt Stone Hut opens on Mansfield  11/1/2016.

Insurance will pay for most of the estimated $276,000 restoration project, after a $100,000 deductible. Vermont Parks Forever, a foundation that raises money for the state parks, received $162,000 in gifts toward rebuilding the Stone Hut.

That includes a $150,000 donation from Jake and Donna Carpenter of Stowe, founders of Burton Snowboards. They had rented the place last year when the fire broke out. Their sons and some friends had taken some wet firewood into the hut, placed it against the woodstove to dry out, and then skied away, in the belief someone would be using the place that night.

That next guest never arrived, and the hut went up in smoke. No charges were ever pressed, and the fire was deemed an accident by state fire investigators.

A year later, and Vermont State Parks is again accepting applications for people hoping to stay over in the famed hut. The state uses a lottery system to determine who gets to stay there.

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_reporter/news/local_news/rebuilt-stone-hut-opens-on-mansfield/article_4d89b402-a1de-11e6-b17b-6798d38c854e.html

• Still only fronted half of it, revenue must have been pretty bad in 15-16
  • edited November 2016
    To their credit (I misread this at first) -- it appears the Carpenters covered the insurance deductible, and then some. Am I reading that correctly?

If yes I have to give him props for that