RIP Stein

I had the pleasure of meeting him at Deer Valley back in 2002. Very nice guy. What a history. RIP Mr. Eriksen.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3354276-155/utah-ski-legend-stein-eriksen-died

Comments

• 88 years old and reports were that he still looked good on the hill last winter.  He was one of the greats whose skiing life included both racing and the pure elegance of beautiful skiing.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,162
    A mentor to me just by trying to copy his style when I starting skiing. Seems you could always find a film of him skiing, playing somewhere. R.I.P.
    Here is a picture of Stein on the deck at Stein's on a beautiful day in April 2014.  One of the nicest guys that you will ever meet.
    Isn't there a ski area with a trail named "Stein's Run"? Is this the same Stein?
    Yes and it's at Sugarbush . He also ran the ski school there in the early 60's.
    I believe there are a number of trails across the country named after him.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,667
    The skiing community has lost an incredible ambassador.
    He was truly the first skiing "God" I remember. I read one of his books and will never forget the picture of his quersprung - double pole jump turn. The extreme skiers exploits from the 1970s forward are amazing but Stein will always, in my mind be the the ultimate skier, in his turtleneck Norwegian sweater and cool demeanor.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=stein+eriksen&noj=1&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFuuvC7IHKAhWJ6iYKHbZGBRYQ_AUICCgB#imgrc=m_794wfzMdpRNM:
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Stein will always, in my mind be the the ultimate skier, in his turtleneck Norwegian sweater and cool demeanor.

+++++1,000,000

"Just once like Stein." That was the mantra, the plea, of just about every skier in the 1960s. Just let me make one turn the way Stein does it, with the grace, speed and perfect form that he showed, and I'll be happy forever. The style and the equipment has changed over the years. But for many of us old enough to remember Stein in his prime, that reverse shoulder stance with skis pressed tightly together will always be classic.
    I remember being at Snowmall in Colorado the first season it opened. Stein headed the ski school, I think. I had just gotten a pair of Rosemount boots, rigid blocks of plastic with no lateral flexibility, and was skiing in them for the first time after several years in softer leather boots. I came down the off ramp of a chairllift and made a turn at the bottom. 
    Those Rosemounts drove the edge of my ski deep into the snow and I landed flat. I heard an accented voice say "are you all right?" I looked up and there was Stein, looking a little concerned. I said "yeah, thanks," got up and got the hell out of there. Great way to meet a ski legend; flat on your face. And with his class and grace he was and, for many of us, always will be a ski legend.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 795
    First time I skied in the west was in 1976.  I drove myself out in '69 VW beetle during college spring break 1976.  Favorite place I hit on that trip was Aspen Highlands.  This was before Deep Temerity Chair was built and the Highland Bowl being accessible for recreational skiers.  One of the toughest runs on the mountain at that time was called Stein's.  Sure enough, Stein Eriksen had worked there too for a while and they named the run after him.  I skied it/butchered it, just so I could say I did.  It is still on the trail map as Lower Stein's, it's a steep bump run, one of the last plunges before the base area:
    Whoa JimK, that is one of the best "steep-looking" photos I ever saw.
    It's not mine.  It's a recent photo from someone else that grabbed off the web.  Back in 1976 I want to say there was a chair lift running above that run, so it was steep and anybody skiing it was subject to scrutiny from riders above.  Currently there is no lift on that line.
    210 said:

Here is a picture of Stein on the deck at Stein's on a beautiful day in April 2014.  One of the nicest guys that you will ever meet.

210 is that you with Stein in 2014?  He looks very frail.  We are all so used to seeing him as invincible ski-god.  Old man time waits for know one. :((
    JimK said:

Back in 1976 I want to say there was a chair lift running above that run, so it was steep and anybody skiing it was subject to scrutiny from riders above.  Currently there is no lift on that line.

As recently as 1993! https://skimap.org/data/1032/7/1269220001.jpg
    JimK said:

210 said:

210 is that you with Stein in 2014?  He looks very frail.  We are all so used to seeing him as invincible ski-god.  Old man time waits for know one. :((
    Yes, that's me (the not so frail one...) with Stein.  We met him having beers on the deck at Stein's.  We didn't recognize him at first, as he looked so frail.  Apparently he collided with a skier while skiing at Deer Valley in 2007 and fractured his collarbone and a few other things (at age 80!) and his friends said that he was never the same health wise since.  It was disappointing to see him like that, but again he couldn't have been nicer or classier.
    I wish I had half his acrobatic counter rotational style, or half his hair!

Restaurant and trail ( Steins Mambo) named after him at Boyne mtn

http://www.boyne.com/boynemountain/resort/news/2015/12/stein-eriksen
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,277
    What lift is that in the pic? The Hemlock? Heron?image

Or victor , never saw chairs like that

http://www.skilifts.org/old/images/resort_images/mi-boynemt/topnotch/topnotch.htm
    Worthy of a Double
    He is an inspiration to my sking style. Always has been. Always will be!
    "I need a powder day"<br>