Chairlift Incident at Granite Gorge?

This just came up on my Facebook feed a couple hours ago:

NH | ROXBURY |**TRAUMATIC INJURY**| 341 RT 9 | GRANITE GORGE. UNITS OFF
WITH A CHAIR LIFT INCIDENT. EMS CREWS CHECKING A TOTAL OF 4 PT'S REQ 2ND
AMB AND HEAVY RESCUE TO THE SCENE. | NEFA415 |

Anyone know anything?

Comments

• WMUR (on TV) said something about 2 chairs colliding - ?   I cannot find a link on WMUR's website though.    
  • I have no info.. But i was there Thursday/friday/ saturday skiing and riding the chair with no incident. Hopefully everyone involved is ok.
  • From AZ: 2 injured and taken to a hospital. 4 were trapped (which seems to require more explanation.  If only two chairs collide at most 4 people could be involved.)
  • edited February 2016
    This morning's news seemed to clarify what happened.
    1. The two people on the back chair that collided were trapped between the two chairs and injured.  Probably, not seriously, but the report did not say
    2.  The lift was stopped and 5 other people on the chairlift were evacuated
    3. The lift will not operate until it is re-inspected.  Granite Gorge is not open on most non-holiday weekdays, so they should have lots of time to make things right in time for the Presidents Week Vacation.
  • Is it my imagination or have there been a heck of lot of lift accidents in the last 2 years? I may have to stop reading these blogs...and the news.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:

Is it my imagination or have there been a heck of lot of lift accidents in the last 2 years? I may have to stop reading these blogs...and the news.

I was just thinking the same thing!!
  • I think there is just much more thorough reporting of the events that have occurred, between cell-phones, youtube and blogs.
  • I think there is just much more thorough reporting of the events that have occurred, between cell-phones, youtube and blogs.

I think so.  Multiple events at one resort - Sugarloaf, have not helped, though the first was a few years ago.
  • edited February 2016
    Betsy said:

ski_it said:

Is it my imagination or have there been a heck of lot of lift accidents in the last 2 years? I may have to stop reading these blogs...and the news.

I was just thinking the same thing!!
    I'm wondering if the ages of the lifts are starting catch up.  There has only been 30 new aerial lifts installed in New England over the last 10 years, and 59 over the last 15.
  • From AZ: 2 injured and taken to a hospital. 4 were trapped (which seems to require more explanation.  If only two chairs collide at most 4 people could be involved.)

I'm guessing it's a journalistic error.  The skiers had to be rescued, so they were trapped in the eye of a layperson.  The 2 that had to go to the hospital were probably the ones downhill of the slipped chair. 
  • obienick said:

From AZ: 2 injured and taken to a hospital. 4 were trapped (which seems to require more explanation.  If only two chairs collide at most 4 people could be involved.)

I'm guessing it's a journalistic error.  The skiers had to be rescued, so they were trapped in the eye of a layperson.  The 2 that had to go to the hospital were probably the ones downhill of the slipped chair. 
    It's sloppy and lazy journalism is what it is. Nobody asks questions. Nobody tries to interview anyone. Same story at Ragged. It wasn't until I skied there one afternoon when someone could point out where the kid fell and who talked to who. News reporting never got it straight.
  • It's another Borvig to boot.... Not saying that was why but Borvig lifts are definitely showing their age... just hope everyone is ok. 
  • mtsnow100 said:

It's another Borvig to boot.... Not saying that was why but Borvig lifts are definitely showing their age... just hope everyone is ok. 

It's a 1981 model according to Jeremy's article here: http://www.nelsap.org/nh/granite.html  So.. not that old as far as lifts go.  Heck, I'm glad someone didn't take me out back and shoot me (give up on me) when I turned 34..   This lift has been well taken care of over its time at GG.
  • edited February 2016
    ROXBURY, N.H. -
    Investigators said that a mechanical issue with a carrier grip was the cause of a New Hampshire ski lift accident that trapped four people.

Firefighters were called to the Granite Gorge Ski Area in Roxbury on Sunday afternoon after two chair collided. Briggs Lockwood, the chief tramway and amusement ride inspector with the state Department of Safety, said that a chair on the double chairlift slid backward down the lift and collided with a chair carrying two juveniles.

The adults were taken to a hospital, but the juveniles weren't hurt.

Lockwood said that the lift has reopened. An investigation into how and why the mechanical issue happened is ongoing.

http://www.wmur.com/news/chairlift-accident-blamed-on-mechanical-failure/37777230
    - Sam
  • Rode it last night for race night, no issues at all. (I did check to see if the cotter pin was in the castle nut before I got on my chairs though..)
  • Interesting article: Vandalism on a lift.  Almost as unthinkable as cutting the brake-line on a parked car.  I've seen vandalism at lodges, light fixtures used as target practice and even snowmaking pipes vandalized.  But engaging in vandalism of this sort where lives are at stake verges on terrorism.  Anybody know of a confirmed example of this kind of vandalism?