The Power of Snowmaking: Most Mid-Atlantic Areas 100% Open

Below, thanks to KeithT posting on DCSki.com, are the % open totals for several Mid-Atlantic ski areas as of today, Monday, February 8:

Massanutten VA -100% open

Wintergreen VA - 100% open

Bryce VA - 100% open

Roundtop, Liberty Whitetail PA - 100% Open

Hidden Valley (the Pennsylvania one) - 96% Open

Seven Springs PA - 95% Open

Wisp MD - 100% of snowmaking terrain open

Snowshoe WV - 95% open

Winterplace WV - 100% open

Timberline WV - 55% open, but 5 of 8 TTB runs open = 62.5% (TL has modest, not high, capacity of snowmaking)

Canaan Valley WV - 40% open (high % of trails w/o snowmaking).

Most of these areas had established these %s before the big storm that dumped 20"-30" of snow here two weeks ago.  Having high-output snowmaking on virtually 100% of ski runs has truly paid off, even though the 2015-16 season didn't kick here in until the first or second week of January when colder temperatures hung around.  Another Mid-A practice that should pay off this season is that many areas make snow into early March, and sometimes later.  

Is there any indication that the NEast ski areas are planning to prolong their snowmaking in light of this season's slow start?

Woody

Comments

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,061
    Not hijacking here, since we're on the Mid-Atlantic kudos to Wintergreen for their Adaptive Skiing program, just wrapped up their 12th annual Wounded Warriors Weekend in which they put 30 disabled veterans on the snow -- to do what I too often take for granted.  And cheers to the good people who own homes/condos etc. who hosted and fed the veterans and their families.   **== **== :)] :-bd :-bd
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    Hug a Snowmaker. If not for their hard work we would not be skiing at Jiminy Peak, MA this year.
    "I need a powder day"
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Skizix said:

Hug a Snowmaker. If not for their hard work we would not be skiing at Jiminy Peak, MA this year.

Amen.  No snow on the ground in the Berkshires when I visited 10 days ago.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Most resorts are not going to blow in March. If there is little snowfall for the rest of the season, the whole no snow in the backyard issue will keep down visits, and therefore not warrant more blowing. My 2 cents.
  • ERockWERockW novice
     Blue Mountain in Pa is 100% open with a nice base.
     Elk Mountain had 3 trails closed and was making snow on parts of trails.  The base was ok
     Camelback had a bunch of trails closed as they were making snow on a lot of the easier trails.  They had a deep base.