Smallest vertical area

LostskierLostskier intermediate
Who can name the ski area with the shortest vertical in the US? This must be an area currently operating. I believe I know the answer and I am sure this topic has been discussed in the past..

Comments

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Four Seasons in Fayettville, NY lI'd serviced by a double maybe 70' Vertical.
    ~Rich~
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    ADKskier said:

Four Seasons in Fayettville, NY lI'd serviced by a double maybe 70' Vertical.

The original owner's, when it was called 90 acres, back in the 70's and 80's might of boosted its stats and claimed it had 90 vertical feet!!

It was though where I made my 1st turns on skis back in December of '78!! I remember vividly my royal blue Elan 150 rental skis with Spademan plate bindings and Caber boots like it was yesterday!! :)
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    Dynamite Hill, Chestertown NY: 65 feet
  • pagamonypagamony advanced
    there are so many i think you have to add qualifications like down hill, chairlift, open to public, charges money, incorporated, currently open at least weekends, with snow making, etc....  to make it meaningful.   my front yard is open about once a year and has about 15' vertical and it's still fun.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 198
    "Ski area with the shortest vertical in the US?" Is what I think gave it away Pagamony as far as what the criteria was. I agree though. My back yard is about 30 Vertical and If I wanted to push the envelope I could probably clear a trail through the woods and get something closer to 100.
    ~Rich~
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    Osceola park in Pittsfield mass is pretty small as well
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    MrMagic said:

Osceola park in Pittsfield mass is pretty small as well

+1
    Looks like about 100 feet vertical (30+ meters) on the topo map.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I have Vermont Academy as 75'. Don't know the source.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced
    VT academy is not open to the public correct ?
    I'm guessing we need two lists one for public and one for private
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Smallest one open to the public I've come across is Mini Mountain.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced

I dunno.  Lostskier and pagamony, does ol' Mini Mountain meet your criteria?  It does have a quarter-million alumni.

Woody
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,549

I dunno.  Lostskier and pagamony, does ol' Mini Mountain meet your criteria?  It does have a quarter-million alumni.

Woody

Like +1 - although Jay used to have one smaller than that in their ski school. IIRC it had like regular old carpet on it. Might still be there.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    i love it.  looks like about 10 ft ?  but how do you balance that with "Mini Mountain offers on-snow group lessons up at the Summit at Snoqualmie. "

Makes me wonder if I have seen pictures of a 'hill' like an escalator where the carpet is always going 'up' and you stay in one place.  is that a vertical of zero or infinity ?  

Then I start thinking about those cool miniature toy sets with working chairlifts and plastic skiers going downhill. 

• LostskierLostskier intermediate
    As far as my research has found, Dynamite Hill was the shortest vertical at 65, like NJski mentioned. Then again, never knew about Mini Mountain, pretty cool! Reminds me of the Ski Deck in the Ma NELSAP forum I did years ago. Too bad its no longer in operation.
    Dynamite Hill is probably closer to 60 feet.  Typical, huh.  ;)

Another small area is Mt. Aggie, which has a vertical of 78 feet.  Certainly not the smallest, but a runner up for sure.
    What about Ridin hy ranch in warrensburg, NY that is sub 50 vertical, serviced by rope row.
    ~Rich~
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced

Dynamite Hill is probably closer to 60 feet.  Typical, huh.  ;)

I told them not to do it.

All it takes is a few contractors with tape measures, and the truth comes out!

• NJSkiNJSki advanced
    ADKskier said:

What about Ridin hy ranch in warrensburg, NY that is sub 50 vertical, serviced by rope row.

That does look impressive. You can see the top and bottom stations of the lift in this shot.

Using the same technique with Google Earth, Ridin Hy measures in at 72'

I've never seen RH in person, but looking at the photo it seems bigger to me than Dynamite

Also, looks like Ridin Hy might've gone a lot higher at one time, perhaps 120'?  can't see it in the photo but it's very apparent on Google Earth

Looks like fun!
    Let's post some pics to grasp how small these places are. Here's Four seasons.
    ~Rich~
    images.jpg
    194 x 259 - 8K
  • LostskierLostskier intermediate
    I will say the smallest nelsap area ive found is wilmington tow in MA. Place is tiny, maybe 40'!
  • ski_itski_it expert
  • ski_itski_it expert
    2011_08_10 Dynamite Hill (1).JPG
    2376 x 1584 - 1M
    is that steep enough to even ski ?  looks like a backyard project.  love it. 
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Which one? Dynamite? Sure it's steep enough, but you may not want to make it a day trip from Jersey. Check out the Fbook link. They even make snow. IIRC JD & other SJers have skied it.
    It's steep enough, that photo seems to flatten it out somehow.   Rope moves like a son of a gun
    edited February 2016 Posts: 198
    Surprised no one has mentioned Skaneateles ski club. Right around 100 vertical.
    ~Rich~
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Cruising up the Thruway to visit Plattekill for the day and noticed the billboard for Rocking Horse Ranch. 

Google Earth puts that hill in the 60-70' range.

PS, Platty was nice. Not much open but what was skied well. Blockbuster had huge spiked whales.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    Platty has really been investing in snowmaking the last few years.
    ~Rich~
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    We have a ton of areas in the 100-300 verticals.
    Ricks old skiernet/gondyline/ski bum site says Petoskey Winter sports park at 100' but I say it's more like 50' with 1 rope.
    But it has a big skating area. It may be the oldest started in 1928

http://www.petoskey.us/departments/parks-a-recreation/community-parks/winter-sports-park