VT Summer Improvements

TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 404

I've only included mountain/skiing improvements (top of list) from a longer lists. Although Stratton's $8.5 lodge improvements and Haystack's Six Pack weren't included. No Six Pack at Jay or new Corinthia lodge at Mt. Snow. The West Lake is on going (2yrs.). Anyone know where the Mt. Coaster is going in at Killington?

ropeways.net | Home | 2015-05-22

What's New this Summer at Vermont Ski Resorts?
As the 2014-15 ski and snowboard season comes to a close Vermont resorts prepare for another great season while also touting new summer activities and offerings. Visitors to Vermont during the warmer months can expect new camps, ziplines and mountain bike programs, and will likely catch glimpses of improvements underway for the 2015-16 winter season.New Improvements Underway for the 2015-16 Season:Q Burke Mountain ResortQ Burke Mountain Resort’s prepares the first ever slope side full service hotel complete with a new bar/restaurant, conference space, and front row access to the best skiing, riding, and mountain biking in New England.  The 116 room boutique style lodge is scheduled to open in December 2015 with new career job openings posted daily to our website, www.qburke.com. Jay Peak ResortThis summer Jay Peak is getting into the movie business. The northern Vermont resort will spend the warmer months building a 15,000-square foot recreational center that will include a 145-seat cinema draught house (READ: a movie theater that serves beer), 16 climbing walls, one ropes course, 30 arcade games, and a snack bar. And in case that wasn’t enough to keep the staff busy, Jay Peak will also build 84 more mountain cottages between the Tramside and Stateside areas of the resort.Sugarbush ResortSugarbush has begun the installation of the new Valley House Quad in the Lincoln Peak base area for the 2015/16 winter season. The Doppelmayr Fixed-Grip Quad will increase the uphill capacity of the current lift from 748 to 1800 people per hour and cut the ride time to approximately 8 minutes. The lift should help eliminate any lift lines in the base area and provide a reliable back-up lift to the Super Bravo Express Quad.
New Activities and Offering for Summer 2015:Killington ResortKillington Resort introduces eight new summer attractions thanks to $3.5 million in investments. The new summer energy center at Snowshed will feature Snowshed Express lift service increased from weekends to 7-days a week for access to expanded beginner and intermediate mountain biking, the Beast Coaster, a 4,800’ alpine mountain coaster, a 1,000’ Skyeride that lifts participants 200 feet above Snowshed Pond, a four-story ropes course loaded with obstacles, a 5,000 square foot maze, ATV and Segway tours and more. Snowshed will also be the new home of the Cooler in the Mountains concert series, beginning July 18.
The Peak Lodge and K-1 Express Gondola will continue to serve guests daily, along with new services in the Snowshed Lodge including an expanded retail and bike shop, the new BOGS Hiking Center and food court.

Comments

• DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The Carinthia lodge at Mount Snow is scheduled for next summer, as is the completion of the West Lake Project.  This summer they're beginning all the work for the 120 million gallon reservoir as well as doing a bunch of the infrastructure work and upgrades to the existing snowmaking system to get ready for when West Lake comes on- line in the '16-'17 season.  This is really such a BIG project that its going to take 2 construction seasons to complete.  It's far more than just dig a pond that will have a surface area about the size of 12 football fields and then fill it with water and you're done!
    ;)
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Re: Mount Snow I wish they would be more open about their rollout plans for moving from 70 to closer to 100% snowmaking. Many runs are already perfectly wide and countoured like Hop, Olympic, Overbrook, Shootout, Dippers, etc. Others I hope they don't bother and I can't see them going through the expense to widen ie Jaws, Uncles, Ledge, Iron Run, etc. Thoughts for what will happen first?
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    What they said at their pass holders meeting this year is that the completion of the West Lake project is just about the water and the EXISTING snowmaking system and percent coverage - expansion of covered terrain WON'T necessarily be happening concurrently with West Lake - there may be some trails that receiving new snowmaking coverage next summer, but it was inferred that not all currently non covered trails will be happening right away...
    newpylong said:

Re: Mount Snow I wish they would be more open about their rollout plans for moving from 70 to closer to 100% snowmaking. Many runs are already perfectly wide and countoured like Hop, Olympic, Overbrook, Shootout, Dippers, etc. Others I hope they don't bother and I can't see them going through the expense to widen ie Jaws, Uncles, Ledge, Iron Run, etc. Thoughts for what will happen first?

Of course, I should have clarified. I meant down the road what do you think their rollout plan will be for expanded coverage? I do realize they want to augment what they have first.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    The reality is for Mount Snow/Peak to be the major player in the modern, large scale ski resort business in Southern VT, they're going to have to up their snowmaking coverage - the listed 83% (or roughly that) is the lowest of any of the major players South of Killington.

I've got no issues, given Mount Snow's past track record on how they manage making snow, and then managing that snow, on snowmaking trails - since its not all fan guns and grooming out big whales - they have plenty of their secondary snowmaking trails where they'll make snow on them and rarely, if ever groom them. Also, given some of the shorter throw of some of the new low e ground guns and short towers that they've added to their arsenal lately I don't think too much, if any at all trail modifications and loss of character would need to happen
    newpylong said:

Of course, I should have clarified. I meant down the road what do you think their rollout plan will be for expanded coverage? I do realize they want to augment what they have first.

• bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    If I had a vote, I'd set the limit around 80% coverage for any place that averages over 100" of annual snowfall.
    There are a decent number of days every season where the best snow is on natural runs, so those are gone once it's 100%.  I feel like glades shouldn't be the only option for natural.
    I always considered Mt. Snow top tier for snowmaking coverage when I used to visit often with my asc college pass.   I assumed with all the headlines about fan guns since Peaks took over that they were still in that tier, no?
    They've been leapfrogged by just about every other major Southern VT player over the past 15 years. Other resorts have access to a much greater amount of water. Mount Snow has tried various approaches over the years but until West Lake came up empty.

I think there will be plenty of runs that will never see a gun even with the expanded snowmaking.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    They're going to be able to pump some SERIOUS water from West Lake into the system based on the diameter of the pipe staged in the Carinthia parking lots now to be installed along Handle/Coldbrook Road from Carinthia down to the West Lake site!! The pipe is at least 20" in diameter if not 24"!! That's a large amount of water they'll be able to send up the hill when this project is done!!
    newpylong said:

They've been leapfrogged by just about every other major Southern VT player over the past 15 years. Other resorts have access to a much greater amount of water. Mount Snow has tried various approaches over the years but until West Lake came up empty.

I think there will be plenty of runs that will never see a gun even with the expanded snowmaking.

IMG_20150524_164732468.jpg
    2952 x 5248 - 7M
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
     ropeways.net | Home | 2015-05-27
    Stratton Mountain Announces $8.5 Million Base Lodge Investment
    NEW FOR WINTER 2015-16STRATTON MOUNTAIN, VT. -- Just as the stellar 2014-15 season wraps up, work begins on an $8.5 million project that literally raises the roof on Stratton’s storied Base Lodge, adding a second floor to the east and west wings, bringing another 350 seats and approximately 4,000 more square feet.Design and materials marry the traditional Base Lodge architecture with native stone, hardwoods, barn style board and gates, Vermont-crafted energy-efficient lighting, and a standing seam roof all in a color palette that complements the natural surroundings. A larger kitchen has been designed to serve the expanded Grizzly’s restaurant while the main floor will also be transformed with a new serving area, coffee shop, flooring and details that include wainscoting and Douglas fir columns throughout. The work will be completed for the 2015-16 season which will begin with a grand opening of this new space at the heart of the resort.Jakober Haus 1642, a wooden structure discovered by Stratton founder Frank Snyder in Alpach, Austria, served as the model for Stratton’s Base Lodge which since 1961 has welcomed generations of friends and family. The design delivers the seating we need with revised floor plans to meet the demands of an evolving market while maintaining the solid structure and traditional elements of Stratton’s original Base Lodge,” explained General Manager Bill Nupp.
    With state-of-the-art kitchens, modern food storage systems and advanced prep technology, guests can expect exceptional dining experiences with high quality meal options in the Base Lodge, across the mountain and throughout the resort as well as in catering for special events,” he added.Project Highlights: Second floor to the east and west wingsApproximately 4,000 more square feetAn additional 350 seatsRedesign marrying new materials and traditional architectureVermont-crafted energy-efficient lightingExpanded Grizzly's restaurantState-of-the-art kitchens, modern food storage systems and advanced prep technologyThis summer’s expansion retains elements of the original with updates throughout. In addition to winter music, après and dining, the expanded Base Lodge will offer new opportunities for summer conferences, weddings and meetings.