2016 Closing Thread

edited February 2016 in NELSAP Forum
Even with the bad year, I didn't think it would come so soon, but areas are already closing for the season.

Today is Storrs Hill's last day of the season.
- Sam

Comments

• I hate this thread
  • If Wed/Thursday this coming week is as warm and wet as its looking like it might be, my hunch unfortunately is that this thread will have a double digit long list before next Saturday - ugh!!!
  • As moderator, I am exhibiting extreme self-control by not deleting this thread!!!
  • Terrible thread....

Also, I saw a truck towing a motorboat heading north on Route 93 tonight... ARG!!!!!
  • This Wed/Thursday edition of "The Blowtorch" will hasten the demise of many... heavy rain, wind and pushing 50 degrees

Worst winter weather ever in my life in New England, at least for skiing.
  • edited February 2016
    And I bought new ski's yesterday ;))

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• This Wed/Thursday edition of "The Blowtorch" will hasten the demise of many... heavy rain, wind and pushing 50 degrees

Worst winter weather ever in my life in New England, at least for skiing.
    I am a life-long snowmobiler as well and this winter ranks as easily one of the worst I have ever seen in the last 25+ years. Many events such as the SnoDeo in Colebrook, NH were cancelled for the first time ever. My family and I decided to take the snowmobiles out for a ride this past Saturday after the 3-4 inches we received in the ossipee, NH area, but it was thin and by late afternoon, it was nearly melted. This was the extent of our riding season.. most snowmobilers are saying they have yet to ride this winter.. Sad.
  • Thursday looks horrific...
  • I guess we could add places like saddle back and Mt Eustis on NH as well as mount Greylock , mount prospect and bellows falls/Rockingham rec. Ski tow as thew never opened
  • MrMagic said:

I guess we could add places like saddle back and Mt Eustis on NH as well as mount Greylock , mount prospect and bellows falls/Rockingham rec. Ski tow as thew never opened

Many small tows didn't open this year, but Saddleback wasn't closed due to the weather.
    - Sam
  • edited February 2016
    Northeast Slopes is currently closed due to lack of snow. They look unlikely to re-open this year.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• MrMagic said:

I guess we could add places like saddle back and Mt Eustis on NH as well as mount Greylock , mount prospect and bellows falls/Rockingham rec. Ski tow as thew never opened

Many small tows didn't open this year, but Saddleback wasn't closed due to the weather.

Correct on saddleback but now with this weather buyer or no they look doubtful to open. in addition to north east slopes hard ack and ascutney look unlikely to reopen
    List is growing quickly after this Thursday I'd wouldn't be surprised if the list grew expediently
  • I bought a brand new pair of Volkl RTM77's yesterday and I want to try them out next Saturday. I am curious who will be making snow with a decent stretch of cold weather forecast after this rainstorm.

• no comment.....
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • sugarloaf said:

Northeast Slopes is currently closed due to lack of snow. They look unlikely to re-open this year.

I pass NE Slopes on my way to MRG so I got a look at them on Saturday. Looked thin in places but fully covered. It was actually the busiest I have ever seen them when I was coming back from MRG so I imagine it was a community event due to the upcoming holiday week for VT. The warming Saturday afternoon into Sunday probably hit them hard but I was surprised by the amount of coverage they had when I drove by Saturday afternoon. 
  • No one will make snow, as holidays are over. Need to stop the bleeding. This year will bring historic losses to NE ski areas.

maybe Killington will get on it for the King of Spring dealio, but no one else who values their bottom line will fire up guns, other than maybe MRG to stay alive on the Practice Slope...
  • No one will make snow, as holidays are over. Need to stop the bleeding. This year will bring historic losses to NE ski areas.

maybe Killington will get on it for the King of Spring dealio, but no one else who values their bottom line will fire up guns, other than maybe MRG to stay alive on the Practice Slope...
    Check the "Places still blowing" thread.  What you are saying isn't supported by the facts.
  • Jay Peak, Nashoba, King Pine, Butternut, Crotched, McIntyre, Nashoba, Ward, Pats Peak, Bradford, all at 100%
  • Jay Peak, Nashoba, King Pine, Butternut, Crotched, McIntyre, Nashoba, Ward, Pats Peak, Bradford, all at 100%

Ski Sundown as well.

• On Sunday, Mt. Southington, Conn., had good cover. I was there to see my four grand nieces race. I don't know what this week's weather will do to it. It was warm and the snow soft, so the slalom course got rutted up after a while. And all age groups, both girls and boys, used the same courses for the two slalom runs. They were side-slipped periodically so it wasn't too bad. BWT, the grand niece who is the U10 division has been doing very well this year. She had won every race she's been in this year by pretty big margins as much as 8 + seconds in one race. She was ahead by two seconds after her first run, then hit a rut and missed a gate in her second run. She climbed back, made the gate and finished fifth. She was pretty mad, for about 10 minutes, then she got over it. Good attitude, I think.

Monday, WAWA looked to be in great shape with all snowmaking trails and slopes covered, as far as I could see. The skiers I talked to were very enthusiastic about the "perfect conditions." It looks as though WAWA will keep going for a while.

Hard to believe that a single major resort getting to 100% open this year is likely to be the high mark. I was at Jay today... their snowpack reminds me of mid-January average despite it being late February. Low angle off map woods are good to go but cautiously, not sure I'd try for some of the steeper off map lines quite yet. Lots of brush and sticks still sticking up through the snow in the off map woods. Conditions were a pleasant packed powder for the most part though sometimes firm underneath the top layer of PP in natural snow areas. Some traverses have still yet to fill in and contain patrol boo and undulations. It doesn't seem like they got any rain this past weekend but maybe some dense/wet snow before things got cold again. Overall, probably some of the best conditions in New England right now I would bet...
  • Ski Sundown was 100% opened by the second week in January.

• Drove by Bradford today, still a solid base and groomed out nicely. Not bad considering the weather we have had in our area.
  • Pico announced due to the challenging circumstances that they will no longer be open weekdays. They will continue with a Sa and Su only schedule. During the week Pico pass people can use Killington. Info below is from their email letter.  I am a big Pico fan and a pass holder.  It has been a tough year on them.  The snow they made was of good quality but there is only so much budget to go around.

Hello from Pico Mountain!
    It is no secret this season’s weather has challenged us at every turn. The lack of natural snow, or even consistently cold temperatures, has left us with limited terrain and diminished business levels. With no relief evident in the long-range forecast, we have made the difficult decision to reduce Pico Mountain’s operating schedule to Saturdays and Sundays only. Beginning Monday, February 29 until the end of the 2015-16 season, Pico will not be open midweek.

That was the bad news, but now here’s some good news: Monday through Friday beginning February 29, 2016, Pico Mountain Season Passes and lift tickets will be accepted at Killington Resort; get all the details before making your way to the slopes.

We know there is no substitute for Pico Mountain, but now you've got access to five days of midweek skiing and riding instead of the usual three, as well as access to more trails and more terrain.

We appreciate your continued support during this often-disappointing season. Thank you for being a part of the Pico Mountain family and we hope to see you soon, at Pico Mountain on the weekends and midweek at Killington Resort.

• Although not closing, Mad River Glen is going to a Fri, Sat and Sunday only schedule for March for however long they last.  A big enough storm could make them reconsider.  

• There's a good chance that this weekend was the last for Spruce Mountain.
    - Sam
  • edited March 2016
    I took a look at Powder Ridge Sunday. Pretty sad. They were holding Special Olympic races on the only slope (Middlesex?) open from the top of the hill to the bottom. The two trails to the north had big bare spots and looked to be melted out at the top. I think only one of them opened this season. Shorter slopes at the base were open. I expect that, w/o a change in weather, the season for Powder Ridge will be over very soon. Too bad.

Ski Ward in Shrewsbury, MA, had full cover - or so it appeared - Monday. But it was soft and wet at 11 a.m. The chair was running but there was no one there except employees. One was trying to set up a temporary restraining fence, but the snow cover was too thin to hold up some of the poles.

• Don't look at the forecast from next Wednesday onward....crazy warm. 
  • Don't look at the forecast from next Wednesday onward....crazy warm. 

Yup - EVERYONE better get out this weekend if they want some more lift served turns in the Northeast this season, as if the blowtorch they're thinking will arrive later next week does, it's likely going to put the nail in the coffin for this season for many, many resorts  :-O