Jay Peak 3/25/2016 3/26/2016 3/27/2016

edited October 2021 in Trip Reports Posts: 312
Every year we venture to Jay Peak in late March and was banking on some additional snow last week...which did show up.  Friday had good snow but rain came in around 1:30 PM and I called it quits early since the Jet Triple was the only good thing open.  Kitz woods was skiing pretty well though.  Sunday night cold front froze things up and dried the snow up.

Saturday was absolutely stellar. Undercast conditions until early afternoon then crystal bluebird.  A good portion of the mountain softened by noon.  Vermonter was skiing way nice.  Timbuktu glade skied lousy, yet Beaver Pond glade was mind-blowing good.  The Jet was also particularly enjoyable.

Today, Easter Sunday, was soft right of the gate.  Still many natural trails open and a rope duck here and there proved good. Expo glade was very very nice.  Kitzbuehel was soft n' sweet.  Canyonlands was borderline closure and I wouldn't be surprised if it is done tomorrow.  Ullr's is awesome up top but fading fast on the flats.  Considering it is the SFbasrbab season ever, no complaints about the snow at Jay. 

They do need to ditch the Flyer quad. It broke down Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and had to diesel everyone off of it at a snails pace and shut it down.  Honestly, I rarely see that thing working well...ever.  Is it just me or do these Leitners suck?

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

Thanks for the report
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Great report! The Flyer worked perfectly while I was there & it's one of the most comfortable HSQs I've been on.
    - Sam
    Gorgeous pictures, thanks!
  • The latest Tim Kelley weather report has some good snow predicted for Jay over the next week.  I think fresh snow on top of what is there would make for some continued glade action.  I would go back in two seconds. 
  • Great report! The Flyer worked perfectly while I was there & it's one of the most comfortable HSQs I've been on.

Definitely comfy when it is operational. It must be whenever I am there.  It seems VERY sensitive to icing in particular. 

Definitely comfy when it is operational. It must be whenever I am there.  It seems VERY sensitive to icing in particular. 

Comfy is not the word that comes to mind when I reflect on my experiences with the bone chilling Green Mountain Freezer, er, Flyer!   
    ;))
    I am a regular JP skier and I haven't noticed any long term issues with the Freezer other than the fact that being broken down would usually be doing its guests a big favor. 

;))

Nice pics, really like the one from the tram.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,667
    The Freezer is a big speed improvement over the old double but I never thought that extra half mile in length got you much more terrain. The top section is kinda strange IIRC. I know it gets u over to Beaver Pond and a couple others but I never liked those runs out much especially in the spring
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

The Freezer is a big speed improvement over the old double but I never thought that extra half mile in length got you much more terrain. The top section is kinda strange IIRC. I know it gets u over to Beaver Pond and a couple others but I never liked those runs out much especially in the spring

Agreed on the extra length not being worth it. The old lift that went up Powerline (and where they want to install a high speed six) could get you over to the Ullr trails via the top of St George's. Not ideal because it is difficult to lap anything in the Ullr's drainage. But you can get back to Stateside from as far out as Green Mountain Boys. Alligator Alley is a waste and Upper Goat from Northway to GMB is almost always carnage. Heck, you can get to Beaver via the Bonnie with just a little bit of pole pushing to the cut off. I think a better decision would have been to install a lift that ran from Kokomo/Ullr's runout to the current end of the Freezer to service the Ullr's drainage (sorry Everglade fans). I'd love to ski JFK more often (best trail over that way) but I rarely ride the Freezer. Dealing with Jay's crazy lifts is half the fun of being a Jay skier... I keep telling myself that.

:)]
  • riverc0il said:

Nice pics, really like the one from the tram.
    Thanks.

I'm all for something up Powerline, up high enough though to provide that Ullr's access.  That would be very cool...as long as it is designed with the wind in mind.  I do love Everglades so perhaps run your proposed lift up from the bottom of JFK?

The only lift at Jay that seems to make any sense is the Jet Triple and perhaps the sweet little Hall double that services the condos.
    Bonnie quad would make sense if Can Am had reliable snow cover. Could be a signature trail with good coverage. Or chair from base of NW Passage to freezer top. Still not an easy layout to easily cover.