States that Don't Require Safety Bar on Chairlifts

2»

Comments

• I am not a lawyer, but it looks like New York State has adopted sections of ANSI B77 2006, including the requirement for safety restraints (see pages 10 and 19-20, here: https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safetyhealth/PDFs/Industry/Code_Rule_32_2010.pdf)
  • I've seen NO safety bar on chairlifts at Mammoth, Alta & Bridger Bowl MT. Probably at another place, but I don't recall?
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • None on the chairs at Monarch.
  • MadPatSki said:

I've seen NO safety bar on chairlifts at Mammoth, Alta & Bridger Bowl MT. Probably at another place, but I don't recall?

Alta has recently gotten bars for their lifts or at least most of them. 
  • edited April 24
    All lifts in Maine have safety bars, although I'm not quite sure about the laws.
    Check 'em out here: mainelifts.wordpress.com and go into the database section.
  • We can remove Ski Baba from this list as the lift has been retired and a new covered magic carpet has been installed in its place.
  • mtsnow123 said:

We can remove Ski Baba from this list as the lift has been retired and a new covered magic carpet has been installed in its place.

That was the last in New England
    - Sam
  • TygTyg
    edited April 24
    These resorts I’ve been to and have some lifts without safety bars

AZ
    AZ snowbowl (sunset triple and aspen double)

NM
    Ski Apache

CA
    Mountain High

CO
    Abasin
    Copper
    Hesperus
    Kendall Mountain
    Loveland
    Silverton

WI
    Wilmont

• To Tyg's list, add:

PA
    Seven Springs -- at least one of the chairlifts, maybe two, lack safety bars on the chairs.

Woody
  • Not required in MN on the older lifts. All the newer models had them so I don't know if that's just how they come from the company or the laws changed. I hate riding with no safety bar! It makes me very uncomfortable on a ride I just want to be relaxed on.
  • I was at Sierra at Tahoe (CA) a few weeks ago. Only the high speed lifts had safety bars installed. The only person who actually used the safety bar as far as I could tell was me. When I lowered them I was met with a sigh. The fixed grip lifts that I used, i made sure to hang on for dear life to the most solid structure I could find.
  • drsmooth said:

I was at Sierra at Tahoe (CA) a few weeks ago. Only the high speed lifts had safety bars installed. The only person who actually used the safety bar as far as I could tell was me. When I lowered them I was met with a sigh. The fixed grip lifts that I used, i made sure to hang on for dear life to the most solid structure I could find.

That would be another interesting topic, safety bar usage and the attitudes towards it in certain regions.
    - Sam
  • edited April 27
    If I’m on the outside seat I don’t care but it is weird, around the NE people just can’t wait to raise the bar. It’s seems like eiher they all got hurt as a youngin when they left the bar down too long or it proves their manly (person)hood the sooner it gets lifted. I guess it is just me, Hey, I’ve got this thing that could save YOUR life, let me throw it away for y’all.
    As soon as you are within 2 or 3 lift towers of the terminus people want to raise the bar even when on a detachable. They act like the sooner it is up the better person they are or that they are late for an appointment. You know on a detachable you could probably wait to raise it until it almost stops? And some new lifts even raise it for you? If I’m in the middle, I keep my foot down if possible or “act” old and confused. The more children on board the stupider I get. Maybe I’ll start sharing some youtube chairlift accidents on my way up. More proof Darwin was right?
    GOM
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited April 27
    drsmooth said:

I was at Sierra at Tahoe (CA) a few weeks ago. Only the high speed lifts had safety bars installed. The only person who actually used the safety bar as far as I could tell was me. When I lowered them I was met with a sigh. The fixed grip lifts that I used, i made sure to hang on for dear life to the most solid structure I could find.

Yes I hung on also. The doubles were center bar, so that gave me a hold. I just kept wondering, how many people fall at this place. Every story I heard about back east with people who fall was they didn't have the bar down. I got the huff reaction when I closed the bar on the hs lifts. Like why does he do this to us.

• If someone has to prove their courage by keeping the bar up, then their standard of bravery have a very low bar (pun intended...) 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump