Making Snow at Any Temperature

bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
OK, where will we see one of these Technoalpin systems first in eastern NA?

Woody

Comments

• shprideshpride intermediate
    In my backyard would be nice
  • steamboat1steamboat1 advanced
    Next November at Killington for FIS if we have another warm fall.
  • SkizixSkizix advanced
    Was it Tenney that tried a similar technology 5 - 10 years ago?
    "I need a powder day"
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Skizix said:

Was it Tenney that tried a similar technology 5 - 10 years ago?

I don't think it was that brand - but they did.  IMO, they tried to keep snow on the trail in August and couldn't make it fast enough to keep up with the melting.  If I were doing it, I would try to start in September on the beginner trail in conjunction with a learn-to-ski program.  The ad would read, "Learn to ski in the warmth of September and be ready to ski from the chairlifts by opening day!"
  • obienickobienick expert
    This looks like the same exact technology but Tenney's was by a Japanese company ... IDE I think.

I can't imagine this will catch on even now after our horrible winter.  Ober Gatlinburg installed 2 of these for their ~90' x ~360' tubing park a couple of years ago.  It takes them 6 weeks of around the clock operation to open tubing for Thanksgiving.  There was video of it operating (cannot find it right now, I think it was a local news story/clip) and these machines barely spits out any ice ... each one maybe equivalent of a freezer ice cube tray a minute (but all crushed up).  It simply isn't anywhere near what is needed to make snow on Superstar for the WC races. Or for opening any early season trails.  I can't even fathom the amount of energy required as well.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 720
    Off topic, but has any ski area dabbled in thermally-insulating tarps for early/late season trails? Much like what you'd use on your swimming pool to keep it warmer when not being used, and much like what golf courses now put over their greens in the winter to keep them warm.  Certainly daytime is the warmest time of the day, but you could shield snow from melting if it doesn't drop below freezing overnight.  Also supposedly in spring, a substantial amount of the snowmelt comes from the ground up.  A thermal blanket below your manmade snow may save it longer.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    I believe that Aspen did use thermal tarps a few years ago on one of their terrain parks to save snow for a post season park event. Haven't seen any mention of the concept since then.
    obienick said:

Off topic, but has any ski area dabbled in thermally-insulating tarps for early/late season trails? Much like what you'd use on your swimming pool to keep it warmer when not being used, and much like what golf courses now put over their greens in the winter to keep them warm.  Certainly daytime is the warmest time of the day, but you could shield snow from melting if it doesn't drop below freezing overnight.  Also supposedly in spring, a substantial amount of the snowmelt comes from the ground up.  A thermal blanket below your manmade snow may save it longer.

I can't remember the years (80s, I think), both Jiminy Peak and Sugarloaf experimented with them.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    On trails with any pitch I think if you used it above the ground the snow would have a hard time binding to it and you would have a lot of slippage. Of course there are a lot smarter people than myself out there they probably could address this somehow.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    obienick said:

High Speed Quad - A ski lift that enables a skier to rapidly get from the front of one lift-line to the rear of another.

summerski.jpg
    799 x 581 - 56K
    What year was the Aug. 4 skiing?
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    marcski said:
     :-O

OK, marcski, I'm keeping my skis ready.  Thanks for the link!
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Boreal is currently using it for there summer terrain park Link

If you look at their webcam, you can see the farmed snow from the season and the bottom right corner is the end of that snowmaking stick: LINK
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert

What year was the Aug. 4 skiing?

Sorry, just saw this, it was August 1985.

High Speed Quad - A ski lift that enables a skier to rapidly get from the front of one lift-line to the rear of another.

• skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    Ober Gatlinburg has been using Sno-Magic for four years to get their tubing hill open in time for Thanksgiving.  They has just purchased a new 150 ton machine.  When not needed for tubing, the product is used on loading and unloading ramps on the beginner chair.
    At one point it would take them well over a month to get just the little tubing area open. How much bigger is this new machine compared with their old ones?
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    This 150 ton machine is replacing 2-50 ton units. They will continue to use another 50 ton unit that is in a different location. In order to have tubing ready to open for Thanksgiving, they would start making product in early October.  I don't see that changing except the start date might be mid-October.