Hike set for SUNDAY July 5 (edited) Bearpen/ Princeton Ski Bowl

ciscokidciscokid expert
edited June 2015 in The Hook-Up Posts: 996
Any interest? :-/

Comments

• mapnutmapnut expert
    Not out of the question, but I'm not sure my knee can do 1900 vertical feet. Also see pm.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited June 2015 Posts: 996
    Well not much of a response. I will call Trackbiker and SkiBabe.
    Rick Bolger?
    Looks like a 12% average grade 2.5 mile each way hike to summit on a logging road.
    I know it's work days(6-9th) but I will make a day of it if we can get a decent group together.( even if 1 person can make it)

I'm trying to get ahold of Russ(thatNYguy )or James M(deluxe). Harvey do you know how to get ahold of either?
    If we're lucky the extended Lane family is in the vicinity for the holiday weekend extended.

Jeremy? JMaul? Jaytrem?

I would like to meet all of you guys.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    I would love to join you guys but I think we are going to be away for a few days over the weekend.  It's crazy that I haven't hiked Bearpen, I've only rented a house a few miles up the valley for the last few winters to ski Platty!
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    Hey guys! Count me in. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Looking forward to seeing everyone.  I apologize for not posting in a long time. My job has been crazy busy but really good. I am still searching for lost ski areas in NJ too!
    Jaytrem will be joining us and waiting for a response from Rick B and others.

How do you like this upside down plate and car from Australia?image
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    marcski said:

I would love to join you guys but I think we are going to be away for a few days over the weekend.  It's crazy that I haven't hiked Bearpen, I've only rented a house a few miles up the valley for the last few winters to ski Platty!

Marc, if you can take a day off on either Monday the 6th, tues 7th, wed 8th, or thurs the 9th we will try to make it work for the most folks.

Read the Bearpen " Original Beast of the East" article and Russ's/ Joshua Segal's Lost ski areas of NY Bearpen history.

I may even call Dr Ben Lane myself to see if we can get the visionary himself to lead us!

Trying to get ahold of Russ ( that NY guy) or James Deluxe too.

I guarantee no hurricanes %%-

Here's the lowdown on the hike itself

http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/BWF-bearpen2.html

Depending on the size of the group and time, we may try to see Simpsons in Phonecia, Highmount, Big Vanilla, and for IBrake go to Andes and photo the Hall T's at Bobcat!

And I'm buying breakfast at 9 or so at the Prattsvile diner!
    And the 1st round wherever we can find a little local joint to celebrate Mapnut's first grand child , he'll have to tell you if it was a boy or girl.
    ciscokid said:

marcski said:

Marc, if you can take a day off on either Monday the 6th, tues 7th, wed 8th, or thurs the 9th we will try to make it work for the most folks.

Read the Bearpen " Original Beast of the East" article and Russ's/ Joshua Segal's Lost ski areas of NY Bearpen history.

I may even call Dr Ben Lane myself to see if we can get the visionary himself to lead us!

Depending on the size of the group and time, we may try to see Simpsons in Phonecia, Highmount, Big Vanilla, and for IBrake go to Andes and photo the Hall T's at Bobcat!

And the 1st round wherever we can find a little local joint to celebrate Mapnut's first grand child , he'll have to tell you if it was a boy or girl.
    A pic of the Hall t-bars at Bobcat?!? That's awesome - and really flattering that you all are thinking of me! :D I'm curious which lifts are still standing at Big Vanilla so do take pics if you make it there.

So many nifty downstate ski areas that are no more. Sigh.

IBRAKE
    IMHO you are the come back King of SJ IBrake.

Here's the link to the hike itself with details

ciscokid said:

IMHO you are the come back King of SJ IBrake.

Here's the link to the hike itself with details

Thanks, Ciscokid!

ciscokid said:

marcski said:

A pic of the Hall t-bars at Bobcat?!? That's awesome - and really flattering that you all are thinking of me! :D I'm curious which lifts are still standing at Big Vanilla so do take pics if you make it there.

So many nifty downstate ski areas that are no more. Sigh.

IBRAKE

Here's pics of Davos Vanilla IBrake

http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/bigvanilla_photos/BIG VANILLA GALLERY.htm

edited June 2015 Posts: 195
    Cisco, I'll see what I can do as the date approaches....but don't wait for me to make your definitive hike plans.

And....one of those pics from the catskills hike link has my beloved Platty in the background: (upper right):

marcski said:

Cisco, I'll see what I can do as the date approaches....but don't wait for me to make your definitive hike plans.

And....one of those pics from the catskills hike link has my beloimageved Platty in the background: (upper right):

I was hoping to go over to Roxbury to take a look see at Lazlo's place after Bearpen and if its in the cards say hi to Bobcat to fulfill Ibrake's t bar lust.
    :D

I was hoping to go over to Roxbury to take a look see at Lazlo's place after Bearpen and if its in the cards say hi to Bobcat to fulfill Ibrake's t bar lust.
    :D

Please do!! Take a pic of some of you resting against of the t's at the base station as if you were about to have a ride up!

IBRAKE
    As everyone know I'd also love to see some nice t-bar photos, being a t-bar aficionado myself!
    - Sam
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Cisco, have you narrowed down a specific day yet?
    My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game......
    JMaul said:

I'm gonna set it for Monday the 6th of July meeting at 10 am at the Prattsville diner.
    So far we have Liz Babe, Jaytrem and myself. Jeremy has to confirm but he knows he needs this to get ready for triathlon and spiritual well being.

Rick Bolger is on the fence and needs pushing.
    James can't make it.
    Waiting to hear from illustrious Russ

Can someone post a thread/ advert on Nyskiblog? I'm having trouble registering there.
    Or for that matter, AZ, other ski sites.
    Does someone know how to get ahold of Alex 4 aprice?
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    ciscokid said:

JMaul said:

I'm gonna set it for Monday the 6th of July meeting at 10 am at the Prattsville diner.
    So far we have Liz Babe, Jaytrem and myself. Jeremy has to confirm but he knows he needs this to get ready for triathlon and spiritual well being.

Rick Bolger is on the fence and needs pushing.
    James can't make it.
    Waiting to hear from illustrious Russ

Can someone post a thread/ advert on Nyskiblog? I'm having trouble registering there.
    Or for that matter, AZ, other ski sites.
    Does someone know how to get ahold of Alex 4 aprice?
    Give me the weekend and I'll get back to you.
    My Life Is A Very Complicated Drinking Game......
    I won't be able to join you guys, but will be anxiously awaiting the trip report from the day's hike and activities!!!

I'm at a desktop (at work now) so, I will post that photo from the Catskillsmountaineer.com Bearpen hike article that is posted above in this thread that shows Platty in the upper right of the photo as seen from the summit of Bearpen looking Northwest.

Ok Marc, good excuse. [-X didn't see Platty til now.

Ok to further enhance the mystery, Roxbury Ski Center(aka No Name, Big Bear) operated directly on the west side of Bearpen (Sallys ally rd )at the same time . ( and longer)

Did this area have anything to do with putting Bearpen out of biz?

Does anyone know if there are any T bar remnants there?

I feel like an archeologist :-bd

http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/ROXBURY.htm

J Maul I'm counting on you man to make it, being you, Track and Rick are hang in' this weekend.
    Push Rick to come.
    Lots of Catskill history here

By the way , I emailed Dr Ben Lane asking if he was available to guide us to his ski area! ( if we get extremely lucky I said we could do it Sunday the 5th if it was possible for him to make it instead of the 6th)

https://books.google.com/books?id=jyYKAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA114&lpg=PA114&dq=roxbury+ski+center+big+bear+no+name&source=bl&ots=B-DRBHDpv7&sig=BTJQ6OmU_DLX_2Fho9KVfVsPTyo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCkQ6AEwBWoVChMI3danmfaIxgIVAgisCh00MQDG#v=onepage&q=roxbury ski center big bear no name&f=false
    ciscokid said:

Ok Marc, good excuse. [-X didn't see Platty toil now.

Ok to further enhance the mystery, Roxbury Ski Center(aka No Name, Big Bear) operated directly on the west side of Bearpen (Sallys ally rd )at the same time . ( and longer)

Did this area have anything to do with putting Bearpen out of biz?

Does anyone know if there are any T bar remnants there?

I feel like an archeologist :-bd

http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/ROXBURY.htm

J Maul I'm counting on you man to make it, being you, Track and Rick are hang in' this weekend.
    Push Rick to come.

Not sure about lift remnants. It is a hunting club now. The original lodge still stands and is used as the hunting ludge/clubhouse.

I also highly recommend the book you posted the link from on googlebooks, Skiing in the Catskill Region. The author, George Quinn, is a great guy and runs the Platty ski shop.

Date CHANGED to SUNDAY July 5
    10 am Prattsville diner
    Does this help anyone ?
  • njskibabenjskibabe intermediate
    I am in. Anyone that misses this one - too bad for you! This is one that should NOT be missed. See you in Prattsville.
  • montebedimontebedi novice
    ciscokid said:
    Date CHANGED to SUNDAY July 5 10 am Prattsville diner Does this help anyone ?
    Remember date locked in SUNDAY July 5

Scheduled appearance of Dr Ben Lane. This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is one of the top lost vertical areas of the northeast. Bring your family and friends and enjoy. Rain or shine.

Sounds like Russ( thatNYguy ) will be there as well as Jamesdeluxe , Njskibabe and ciscokid . Hoping for Jeremy Davis.

10 am meet at Prattsville diner

Independence weekend **==
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    I drove in to NoName in the late 80's and the t-bar was still standing with the steep Avalanche slope very clear.  The lower slope had a j-bar and had freshly cut roads and vacation home starts thru and around it.
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    I think I might be able to make it. Looks like it should be a fun day.
    flbski said:

I drove in to NoName in the late 80's and the t-bar was still standing with the steep Avalanche slope very clear.  The lower slope had a j-bar and had freshly cut roads and vacation home starts thru and around it.

I just keep sleuthing

http://www.memorareclub.com/history/

Maybe Dr Lane will take us this route

http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/BWF-bearpen.html