Mount Snow / Peace Pipe Rail Jam

With winter all but in the rear view I couldn't resit one last look at the snow.

Me and some buddies headed up to Mount Snow for their Peace Pipe Rail Jam at the bottom of Inferno. For those of you who might not know, that trail has their largest jump which they leave in the pile until Memorial day weekend to spread out and throw up a few rails.

We drove up and arrived for the session at about 10:15 and the entire upper Carthina parking lot was full and cars were starting to fill in the lower section. We got a spot right at the end of the top lot. I have to say I was surprised at the crowd but all in all what they had to offer was impressive considering the winter. They had some tunes playing and the lodge bathrooms were open but there were no concessions at all open. It was very hot with the sun blaring down most of the day. Considering the heat, the coverage lasted pretty good throughout the day.

We channeled a little of our inner A-basin and grilled up some burgers and dogs between the sessions and overall had a great time.  My ACL recovery is going great but I wasn't quite ready to put on some skis so I spent some time looking around the base area at their progress. It looks like most of the trees are cut down in the area next to Grommet and some near heavy metal. Some piles of wood chips are all over with the logs in various places. The Ski Baba lift is still there. None of the cabins on Carinthia Way have been touched yet so it looks like we will get out place again next season before they start tearing stuff down.

All in all a great day and I'm glad to have gone up.
Morning.jpg
3024 x 4032 - 5M
Afternoon.jpg
4032 x 3024 - 4M
My heart bleeds for winter.

Comments

• Wow! Great post. Cool to see that much from the last jump in Inferno. I remember it being around 65-70 foot gap from lip to knuckle. Here's a  photo from Monday that my parents captured. Pretty wild, but the heavy rain and warmth is the explanation.

IMG_1122.JPG
    320 x 240 - 32K
  • wow pretty amazing the snow loss...looking at the superstar cam at killington i find it amazing that they were skiing yesterday considering there is almost nothing now.
    My heart bleeds for winter.
  • Warm day/overnight temps, high humidity, rain + an ultra high sun angle will melt snow really quickly.

Arapahoe Basin for example, starts to go really quickly from this point on, as temps at night start to climb above freezing.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• You also have to remember that before they plowed out the big pile last week, it was basically functioning as a giant ice cube.  Once they plowed it out, and chopped it up a bit and got some air into the snow, let alone greatly increased it's footprint onto warm, unfrozen ground, the snowpack became more like a snow cone than an ice cube.  Add in the heat over the weekend and the rain, and it's no surprise that it's melting out as quick as it is.

Look at Superstar at Killington over the weekend as another perfect example of this.  Where they had to push a bunch of snow on the upper and lower headwalls it melted out much quicker than in the mid section where they did much less manipulation to the snowpack
  • Great report Kappcity06!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA