It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
mapnut said:It's heartwarming that with all the Eastern ski areas reeling from the terrible winter and EB-5 scandal fallout, little Whaleback is pushing ahead with improvements. (Not that I sent them any money.)
It's heartwarming that with all the Eastern ski areas reeling from the terrible winter and EB-5 scandal fallout, little Whaleback is pushing ahead with improvements. (Not that I sent them any money.)
Whaleback said:Good afternoon SJ,If the install goes on time, and if weather cooperates we aim to open in mid December to get our race teams/clubs on snow here and also get people skiing here vs elsewhere prior to and through Christmas as opposed to after.Going to be a big party on opening day for sure for a ribbon cutting - hope some Snow Journalers make it.
Good morning SJ,
Season passes are now on sale for the 2016-2017 ski season.Benefits to pass holders are huge, including big day ticket discounts atKillington, Sunapee, and new for this year Magic Mountain (under new ownership), etc. A full list of benefitscan be found here: http://www.whaleback.com/season-pass-benefits/
We also are going to be offering night tickets to pass holders from ANY mountain for only $20 this year. We also have partnered with numerous discount programs including the popular Ride and Ski NE card.
Our trail map has been updated to reflect the new West Side Learning and Training center and the new glade (Kraken - name was chosen through voting) has been added: http://www.whaleback.com/trail-map/
We are also making a substantial investment in snowmakingequipment (purchase of 10 HKD Impulse tripods and Lease to buy 2 Demarc-Lenko Titan 2 fans) to help us make more snow in marginal temperatures.
We have Tramway approval and have begun the relocation and retrofit of the Magic Carpet and Handle/Platter tows. We anticipate approval for T-bar installation this month. Snowmaking loop is complete and testing is underway.
Greetings from the Upper Valley. As we did last year wewanted to give the forum an update on both mountain happenings and season passpricing in case anything interests people.
As far as passes, they will officially go on sale on 9/1 butthey are available for purchase online now: https://www.whaleback.com/passes/Early Bird pricing will be in effect between now and 9/30. We have some greatbenefits for pass holders: https://www.whaleback.com/season-pass-benefits/ Please note that as of this writing Magic andRagged are not confirmed partners, but we are anticipating that will once againbe. We are also likely going to be part of the Freedom Pass program this year –even more benefits for our pass holders. Pricing in general has come down a bitthis year and we have added a new pass – the Young Adult Unlimited (18-29years). For $249 you can ski and ride with us any day any time and also receivefull partner mountain benefits. The Military pass has been extended to includenot only active but all veterans.
As for as mountain updates, this off-season has been andwill continue to be extremely busy for us. We kicked off this spring with acomprehensive snowmaking system audit by a leading engineering firm in the industry.The results of that report, peer reviewed by another firm, has helped guide ustowards improvements for this year and future:
- Our snowmaking pump house was levelled to theslab and is in the process of being rebuilt. The new building has more space,will be safer to operate and heat, and is being built to accommodate future pumps.
- Our existing 250 HP pump motor was sent out forrebuilding – rewound with inverter duty windings, bearing replacements, baked,etc.
- Our fixed speed drive is being replaced with aVariable Speed Drive and as such our manual pressure controls in the pump houseare being eliminated. They were undersized for the volume and required muchguesswork. New automatic pressure controls will allow us to pump 25-40% morewater on the hill.
- All on hill water distribution valves are eitherbeing replaced or rebuilt. This will help alleviate a lot of the pains for ourcrews in switching water between trails.
- Our air cooler is being brought back onlineafter being out of service for numerous years. Having this will allow us tocool our compressed air further in marginal temps to increase output.
- We are adding fan gun plugs to theScrimshaw/Canyon trails. These have large acreage and the fans will cover itquicker and more efficiently.
- We are adding 2 additional Demac Lenko Titan 2fans to our fleet, which will consist of 4 Titan 2.0 fans, 2 older ST 940 fansand 10 HKD viper air/water guns. We have never had this much equipment toutilize and the water to use much of in combination with each other.
West Side T-Bar:
- Forms for the towers began to arrive today andwill be set in the holes early next week. We anticipate beginning to pour theforms mid next week. The lift is scheduled to be commissioned by the end ofOctober. This is a very exciting project for us as it will allow for a moredependable opening for the season and increased terrain or our LearningPrograms. All of the trails with exception of the glade serviced by the T-Barwill have lights and snowmaking. Much of which was last used 17 years ago. Weare excited to bring this area of the mountain back to life.
See you soon!
Whaleback said:Our new snowmaking pumphouse going up and pouring the T-Bar base terminal and towers 1 and 2 this week.
Our new snowmaking pumphouse going up and pouring the T-Bar base terminal and towers 1 and 2 this week.
Whaleback said:Season Passes are on sale at Early Bird rates today until 9/30: https://www.whaleback.com/season-pass-benefitsNew this year - we are a member of the Freedom Pass. Anyone who purchases today through end of 9/4 will be entered into a drawing for a pair of new Nordica Enforcer skis MSRP $700.With some of the passholder perks you don't even need to ski at WB to come out ahead quick.
NewEnglandSkier13 said: Whaleback said:Season Passes are on sale at Early Bird rates today until 9/30: https://www.whaleback.com/season-pass-benefitsNew this year - we are a member of the Freedom Pass. Anyone who purchases today through end of 9/4 will be entered into a drawing for a pair of new Nordica Enforcer skis MSRP $700.With some of the passholder perks you don't even need to ski at WB to come out ahead quick.
Its good to see another mid-sized mountain join the Freedom Pass. With all of those benefits, and reasonable prices, a Whaleback season pass is something I will consider for this season.