Magic updates?

Comments

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    Ok.
  • slathamslatham advanced

For those of you who might not be following the Magic web site, they've got a busy off-season!

The Inaugural SKI MAGIC season has come to a successful close after staying open until April 9th. But skiing was still taking place here this weekend as skinners hiked the hill and hit Talisman which meant crossing some pretty big dry land patches two-thirds of the way down and then hooking back up with some snow for the runout. But, that's the fun of late April turns and we're glad the snowmaking provided the opportunity for our Magic die-hards. The Black Line Tavern will again be open from Thursday-Saturday this week starting at 5pm. We are already turning our attention to some major off-season projects which our SKI MAGIC investor group has given the green light to for this summer. The "Green Chair" project is undergoing an inspection by our operations crew and Ski Lifts Unlimited to more accurately determine the status of the gear box, tower alignments, haul rope viability, parts for rebuilding tower assemblies, and chair count. This will give us a more accurate estimate of project costs and timing with goal of bringing this new third chair online for the 17-18 season. The mid-mountain chair gives young families and less advanced skiers an easier way to access Magic's intermediate and novice terrain without going to the top, and, importantly, provides interesting terrain for all to access earlier in the ski season as snowmaking can cover a smaller trail footprint quicker to get us open earlier than ever before. That means potential Thanksgiving weekend openings versus Christmas openings if the cold weather cooperates. And that means more value for our season pass customers and youth programs like racing, freeride, and young devos.Another key project being fleshed out right now is work requirements and approvals on our snowmaking system as we need to  rebuild our pond dam and stream system, plus sketching out new piping needs coming from our pump house through the base area. These projects will give us more access to water and better performance at high pressures when we are blowing snow. In addition, previously existing snowmaking trails will be brought back online for the first time in decades with the purchase of new hydrants and repair of piping (ex: Lower Magic Carpet, Vertigo, Sorcerer, Witch, Black Line). More good news: in a busy week for the ski industry, we have NOT been purchased by Vail or Aspen yet. Magic is perfectly positioned as a real alternative to the mega-resort trends overtaking the ski business. There's nothing wrong with big resorts getting bigger. But as that occurs, there is even more of a need for independent ski areas that focus on the sport of skiing and riding and not all the ancillary amusements, amenities and real-estate ventures that drive corporate profits. We are focused on providing a better skiing experience at MAGIC and keeping it as fun, laid-back and affordable for families as possible. Magic must make money to be sustainable long-term. But, if we efficiently manage our skiing operations, we can be profitable by offering a truly unique product at a good value to customers who appreciate a different experience. There's a generation of skiers who has grown up not realizing that a more intimate, freer and close-knit camaraderie to the sport exists. We want to see that old-fashioned ski culture survive and thrive. For those of you nodding your heads, we hope you will "take the road less traveled" with us next season. Magic's affordable 2017-18 season passes are on sale now at our lowest "Early Bird" prices until May 15th.So come join us on this grand adventure! I will keep you posted on our progess throughout the off-season.- GeoffSKI MAGIC LLC

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    slatham said:

For those of you nodding your heads, we hope you will "take the road less traveled" with us next season. 

Make it stop, please. :x

Misused quotes aside, they posted a photo on Instgram yesterday that shows some green chairs being moved around by a crane or something like that, looks like it really is happening!

"take the road less traveled"

Out of curiosity, what is the issue with this slogan?

edited April 19 Posts: 1,011
    It originated with a poem The Road Not Taken and through the years has been misread and twisted to an entirely different meaning than the author intended.  
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

It originated with a poem The Road Not Taken and through the years has been misread and twisted to an entirely different meaning than the author intended.  

Robert Frost poem, but became the ultimate guide to recover from a break-up or divorce in a book of the same name by Scott Peck.
    edited April 19 Posts: 1,011
    The people who misuse it in thousands of sappy speeches are erroneously quoting Frost, because they usually say they are quoting Frost.  Peck went to Middlebury at a time when Frost's influence was still very strong there, so I imagine he was, ahem, well versed with the true meaning.  But not having read his work I don't know what context he used it in.

I once had a boss who pressured me to use that expression as a Hallmark style metaphor, quoting Frost!  Really ticked me off as I had little choice but to comply.  

:x :x :x
    edited April 20 Posts: 102
    Not sure about Geoff, but I use the phrase in its practical sense, with no literary reference. I live on Long Island, work in Manhattan, and ski on weekends and holidays. I literally try to find the road less traveled! Magic satisfies that practicality. Sorry you don't like the slogan, but don't expect them to change it.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    When the history of most quotes or words are closely examined, they usually turnout to go back longer than expected in one form or another. The same can be said of songs.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Interesting discussion. It makes me think that the ski season is just about finished.
    slatham said:

Not sure about Geoff, but I use the phrase in its practical sense, with no literary reference. I live on Long Island, work in Manhattan, and ski on weekends and holidays. I literally try to find the road less traveled! Magic satisfies that practicality. Sorry you don't like the slogan, but don't expect them to change it.

No I don't expect anybody to stop.  And, I suppose there's nothing wrong with it, as long as someone isn't deliberately quoting the poem.   Perhaps, just perhaps, I take it too seriously!   ;))

And Bill29s "just about finished" observation is quite appropriate for me -- every now and then Middlebury Snow Bowl is my final stop for the season, and then afterward I stop at the Robert Frost wayside and make anybody who is with me trudge out to the first reading.    Yes, I've stopped at the one in Franconia, and Bennington, etc.

One of my ski buddies says "No more Robert Frost, and no more cheese factories!"  
  • ski_itski_it expert

Way off topic: If I was your ski buddy I'd agree with the "No more Robert Frost", but never agree with no more cheese factories! I tried to make it to the Plymouth Notch Cheese Factory but they close the same time the lifts did. Which brings me to another off topic question. I've noticed several businesses up North that close at 4pm on Saturdays, like the aforementioned cheese factory, some breweries, & others. You would think they would want skiers as customers?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Just because they make cheese and beer doesn't mean they are smart business owners  ;)

BTW the Robert Frost Wayside in Ripton never closes.  Just sayin.  
    :D
  • JMaulJMaul advanced

Nothing like a Robert Frost discussion on a skiing forum.

Or, Frost in your In Box.............
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    20160129_164320.jpg
    3053 x 2379 - 2M
    If only the Robert Frost attractions sold beer and cheese....
    I tried posting Magic's 5/1/17 update. It is similar to what slatham posted 4/19. I gave up.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Anyone else seeing double or do I need to see a doctor?
  • obienickobienick expert
    Yes, for some reason Tom White's post isn't displaying right on my end either (on both Chrome and Safari).
    edited May 4 Posts: 1,661
    I reproduced the posting above.  If you think it is correct, I will delete the one that is problematic.

We are already turning our attention to some major off-season projects which our SKI MAGIC investor group has given the green light to for this summer. The "Green Chair" project is in the works with a new gear box and other key parts being sourced and the haul rope scheduled for inspection within the next two weeks. The new Green base-to-mid-mountain lift gives young families and less advanced skiers an easier way to access Magic's intermediate and novice terrain without going to the top, and, importantly, provides interesting terrain for all to access earlier in the ski season as snowmaking can cover a smaller trail footprint quicker to get us open earlier than ever before. That means potential Thanksgiving weekend openings versus Christmas openings if the cold weather cooperates. And that means more value for our season pass customers and youth programs like racing, freeride, and young devos.

Another key project being fleshed out right now is work requirements and approvals on our snowmaking system as we need to rebuild our pond dam and stream system, plus sketching out new piping needs coming from our pump house through the base area. For the Pond Dam build and stream alteration, we are working with both Tech Environmental and DuBois & King as consultants for permitting with the State of Vermont and engineering and oversight for project management. These projects will give us more access to water and better performance at high pressures when we are blowing snow. In addition, previously existing snowmaking trails will be brought back online for the first time in decades with the purchase of new hydrants and repair of piping (ex: Lower Magic Carpet, Vertigo, Sorcerer, Witch, Black Line).

We will soon be placing an order for a new "magic carpet"-style conveyor lift for a new beginner area over where it was originally pre-1990s. To the right of the Black Chair, this new beginner area will be a less traffic intense location for learn-to-ski, and will then allow us to create a bigger terrain park/rail jam area where the beginner handle tow currently exists, with jumps created above the handle tow area on Hocus Pocus. Both the Magic Freeride Team and younger skiers and boarders will have a bigger playground to enjoy themselves in next season.

With even more projects planned, please stay tuned as we continue to provide more access for all skier/rider abilities, over a longer season, to Magic's great terrain.

We hope you will "take the road less traveled" with us next season. Magic's affordable 2017-18 season passes are on sale now at our lowest prices at https://www.magicmtn.com/tickets-passes. "Early Bird" prices will apply until May 15th.

-Geoff
    SKI MAGIC LLC
    Any chance they could reactivate the old Timberline area on the mountains back side? The purist in me says get a t-bar in there if the original one is either long gone or unable to be restored to functionality.

IBRAKE
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    That would be a perfect way to overextend themselves and get in the same situation as previous owners. Focus on core areas.

I reproduced the posting above.  If you think it is correct, I will delete the one that is problematic.

Yes that looks like Magic's (Geoff) May 1 update. Thanks
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    Timber Ridge/Timberside had a chairlift to the top / t-bar lower.
  • NJSkiNJSki advanced
    edited May 4 Posts: 264

Any chance they could reactivate the old Timberline area on the mountains back side? The purist in me says get a t-bar in there if the original one is either long gone or unable to be restored to functionality.

IBRAKE

"Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it" -George Santayana 

• Bill29Bill29 advanced
    O.K. George, here's some history that probably won't be repeated.
    From an old "Ski Talk" column from the Worcester Evening Gazette, circa late 1960s or early 1970s, by guess who and that I just found:
    "A flock of sheep was turned loose on the slopes of Magic Mountain, Londonderry, Vt., last summer to keep the slopes and trails groomed. They did that job, but they aren't through yet. Hans Thorner, owner of Magic, said about a dozen have been kept. The rest will be showing up from time to time this winter in the picnic lunches served on the mountain.
    "Thorner also said he will have night skiing on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Thorner said he wants to create a little more atmosphere in the area and give people a place to go. He said it will also give local residents who work all day a chance to ski. There will be torchlight parades Thursday and Saturday nights and NASTAR races Friday nights, he said. For those who don't want to ski, there will be dancing in the base lodge each night in the Abracadabra Lounge."
    (Magic was a happening place in those days.)
    Other items in that column tell of Bob Anderson holding an open house at Pine Ridge Ski Area in Barre, Mass. (now a NELSAP area) after extensive repairs following a small tornado - but big for him.
    "We had just completed a base terminal for the new T-bar when the storm started," Anderson said. "A half hour later the building was gone. We found the roof a half mile away."
    The twister demolished a lift attendent's shack - "we still haven't found one wall," Anderson said - and tore the roof off the base lodge.
    "The tornado was like a vacuum cleaner. It moved all the kitchen equipment in the lodge and pulled it toward the front window," Anderson said. 
    At the time the storm was going on, Anderson was in his house at the ski area, listening to the banging and crashing and watching chunks of his ski area blow away."
    (He got it all back together after hard work. I'm pretty sure Laurie, a contributor to this web site, used to teach and patrol there).
    The rest of the column noted a ski swap at a local high school, a sporting good store giving away tickers to "Downhill Racer," starring Robert Redford at a Worcester theater, and a Warren Miller movie, "This is Skiing," showing at a regional high school.

I know this is long, and I apologize. But we are nearing the end of the season and things are a bit slow. Besides, this gives me an opportunity to do some re-cycling (an old column). I promise not to do it again - unless I find another old column.
    Re: Timberline (or is it Ridge?). That has separate ownership.
    slatham said:

Timber Ridge was its name when it operated independently, When it was attached to Magic, it was known as "the Timber Side".
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    edited May 4 Posts: 296
    nm see below
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced

slatham said:

Timber Ridge was its name when it operated independently, When it was attached to Magic, it was known as "the Timber Side".
    And.. the Hall double that was there, is over at Smuggs now. The t-bar
    is long gone. All they have now for lifts are gas powered- see the
    Timber Express attached!
    D
    Timber express.jpg
    720 x 960 - 174K
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 5 Posts: 1,587
    Bill According to AZ Pine Ridge is still open. X_X http://www.alpinezone.com/resorts/pineridge/
    And these guys too http://www.snowskiing.com/resorts/north-america/usa/massachusetts/pine-ridge/
    Of course my car GPS has it listed too.

I found two tornados near there but their plots I found don't go over it.
    Oct 3, 1970 4pm and May 29, 1969 5pm. What we need is a weather person