Magic updates?

1235»

Comments

• slathamslatham intermediate

Not much new news to those following closely, but great to see consistent (and good) press on Magic.

http://vermontjournal.com/featured-articles/magic-mountain-is-bringing-the-magic-back

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Bill29 said:

O.K. George, here's some history that probably won't be repeated.

From an old "Ski Talk" column from the Worcester Evening Gazette, circa late 1960s or early 1970s, by guess who and that I just found:
    [edited]
    "Thorner also said he will have night skiing on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Thorner said he wants to create a little more atmosphere in the area and give people a place to go. He said it will also give local residents who work all day a chance to ski. There will be torchlight parades Thursday and Saturday nights and NASTAR races Friday nights, he said. For those who don't want to ski, there will be dancing in the base lodge each night in the Abracadabra Lounge."
    (Magic was a happening place in those days.)
    Thanks for posting that!

The guidebooks, magazines etc. I have from that era all point to Magic as the place to be for Apres-Ski as you said...never really knew if that was true or just carefully planned P.R. since Thorner lagged so far behind in addressing the need for snowmaking. Thanks for confirming -- maybe someday they can get that part going again! Since they're reanimating that green chair, I wouldn't rule anything out!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert

Bill29 said:

O.K. George, here's some history that probably won't be repeated.

From an old "Ski Talk" column from the Worcester Evening Gazette, circa late 1960s or early 1970s, by guess who and that I just found:
    [edited]
    "Thorner also said he will have night skiing on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Thorner said he wants to create a little more atmosphere in the area and give people a place to go. He said it will also give local residents who work all day a chance to ski. There will be torchlight parades Thursday and Saturday nights and NASTAR races Friday nights, he said. For those who don't want to ski, there will be dancing in the base lodge each night in the Abracadabra Lounge."
    (Magic was a happening place in those days.)
    Thanks for posting that!

The guidebooks, magazines etc. I have from that era all point to Magic as the place to be for Apres-Ski as you said...never really knew if that was true or just carefully planned P.R. since Thorner lagged so far behind in addressing the need for snowmaking. Thanks for confirming -- maybe someday they can get that part going again! Since they're reanimating that green chair, I wouldn't rule anything out!

That's probably true about apres-ski at Magic in the late 60s.  I have fond memories of Dostals as well as the other places suggested by Bill29.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    ski it
    It's closed. NELSAP has a history written by Laurie P. I haven't been passed it in about 6 months (no pressing need to go to South Barre) but the last time I went by it was closed. I don't know about the plots, but Bob Anderson was there and he called it a tornado. Central Massachusetts gets small twisters (and some big ones, too) from time to time.  
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Bill29 I do not doubt either fact. I was just trying to find a date for the tornado for you. I also can't believe how out of date some of these guides are. I know they do not want to count people out too soon, but it's been more than a decade that Pine Ridge has been closed.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Bill29 said:

ski it

It's closed. NELSAP has a history written by Laurie P. I haven't been passed it in about 6 months (no pressing need to go to South Barre) but the last time I went by it was closed. I don't know about the plots, but Bob Anderson was there and he called it a tornado. Central Massachusetts gets small twisters (and some big ones, too) from time to time.  
    If I remember right,  Pine Ridge's closing had to do with a burned up T-Bar, not a tornado.  The tornado seriously damaged Butternut.  Its not a place I ski at often, but I wanted to see the damage and skied there in 1996.  My guess is the tornado was in 1995. (Don't know what happened to Laurie P., but I notice that her web site is gone.)
  • skipro77skipro77 intermediate
    I do recall that a tornado hit NW Conn./ SW Mass in the fall of 1989.  That's the one that did so much damage to Mohawk.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 10 Posts: 1,548

I guess we should have made a Pine Ridge page...

Yes the fire in 2006 was the last straw, but if Bill has an article quoting Bob Anderson about a tornado then it had to happen well before 1982 as NESH speculates because of Anderson's failing health it closed about then until 1990 when his wife & the O'Connors reopened it. So I assume the tornado happened 1970-80 and the damage was repaired to continue operating the area.  

No mention of the tornado on NESH or NELSAP that I noticed.

Not every micro burst or tornado gets confirmed as a tornado, or necessarily in this database either.

http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/tornado/Massachusetts

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited May 11 Posts: 726

There was another tornado that went right through the base area of Mohawk, CT in 1989, damaging the lift and the lodge and knocking down every pine tree within hundreds of yards. I skied there the following year; everything was in order but many of the fallen trees could still be seen. It's all nicely re-grown now.

That's three ski areas impacted by tornadoes in 30 years. I hope they don't have a special attraction.

Somehow I forgot to mention that this was at the Mohawk ski area.

• bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    Stowe had a pretty extreme microburst a couple years back.  Made a mess of lower goat area.
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    mapnut, a lot of those trees came down in the state forest next to Mohawk, as you know. Some people wanted them cleaned up, but the state said let 'em decay and return to the soil. It was kind of a mess for a while, but the state was letting nature take its course. That's a pretty area. I get there occasionally to see my grand nieces race for Mohawk. They do pretty well.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced

Project and Season Pass Updates  5/10/17

We are pushing ahead on several
    fronts to "make better Magic"--all designed to give our customers
    better and more access to our special mountain. And, as a reminder, there's
    only a few days left to get your Early Bird priced passes.

Green Chair: This new lift
    project is underway already. We just received a shipment of sheave trains for
    all the lift towers and are obtaining other equipment soon we hope from Suicide
    Six. The haul cable will be inspected on Sunday to determine its status. 107
    chairs have been set aside for work (new paint and wood slats for all as we
    just removed all the old slats from the chairs). A lot more work to come to get
    the lift finished over the next 6 months in time for the new ski season. Adding
    the mid-mountain access lift up to "Sunshine Corner" will make it
    easier for beginners/intermediates to enjoy skiing here; provides a means for
    Magic to open earlier than ever with a smaller footprint for early season
    (November) snowmaking; makes running youth races and race/freeride programs
    better for the athletes and customers in general by taking liftline pressure
    off the summit chairs; and, finally, creates an off-season lift for special
    events, like Weddings, at picturesque Sunshine Corner.

New Learn-to-Ski Beginner
    Conveyor Lift: We met this week with Starlifts out of NH to walk the area for
    the "magic-carpet" style lift in the "old", but now new,
    beginner area to the right of the Black Chair (Little Dipper). It will take
    about 12 weeks to build, but the approximately 170 foot conveyor lift will
    provide state-of-the-art transportation for beginners to learn how to ski
    and ride at Magic. Tucked away from heavy downhill traffic and on a nicely
    pitched beginner slope, our Nelson Famly Snowsports Learning Center will become
    THE place for families to have their kids learn the skills to take them
    eventually up the new Green Chair and then finally on to the summit to tackle
    some of the most challenging terrain in the East.

Snowmaking Pond: Engineering
    plans have been submitted and we will be meeting next week with the State of
    Vermont on a huge project to take our pond "off-stream" as
    desired by the State, while providing the necessary volume of water for Magic
    to cover about 80 acres of its trails and base area with man-made snow. This
    will allow us to more than double the typical amount of trails covered by
    snowmaking so we have a broad variety of trails on both East and West Side
    guaranteed to be open during the ski season no matter what mother-nature
    delivers in terms of natural snowfall.

p.1

• TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    5/10/17 p.2

Snowmaking
    Efficiency: Great strides were made this season in terms of dramatically
    improving the amount of snow that could be made more quickly utilizing less
    energy and fossil fuels. Beyond the HKD low-e guns we purchased, the next phase
    focuses on new pipe work in the base area. Aging (and leaky) pipes out of the
    pump house immediately lessens the pressure in the system (especially at the
    top) and means we are not maxmizing efficiency of our water and air at the
    start. Therefore we have identified and measured the piping (much of it
    underground) that needs to be replaced and have already received a quote for
    the steel (made in the USA quality steel). By our mathematical calculations,
    completion of this project over the summer should allow us to obtain the
    necessary pressures to utilize low-energy HKD guns top to bottom. This
    will significantly improve the efficiency of the system and further drive down
    our carbon footprint. We will again be partnering with Efficiency Vermont on
    this project.

With even more projects
    planned than highlighted here, please stay tuned here and on social media
    for updates. We are making Magic better with significant capital expenditures
    (~$1 million this off season), so we can better serve our customers while
    putting in place a more efficient operating infrastructure for a sustainable
    long-term future for Magic. The road can be winding and sometimes bumpy,
    but then again, aren't the most interesting drives off the crowded
    highways?