Burke poma coming down

2»

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited May 6 Posts: 1,240

Someone should post a video of their ride on the Burke Poma here. As it disappears after the season ends it would be a nice way to keep its memory alive.

IBRAKE

Yea ski_it- you are the best resurectionist of oldies
    I don't recall the snowjournal south gang taking video of it
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    ski_it said:

I love them too. Killington still runs theirs?

Rode it last November.

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

That poma is one of the last vestiges of the 1958 Killington.  If it's running, I always try to take a ride on it.  It brings back a lot of memories,  That being said, I suspect it was missing half of its hangers the last time I was on it.  I hope they still have people who know how to fix it and a place from whom to buy spare parts.

ski_it said:

That poma is one of the last vestiges of the 1958 Killington.  If it's running, I always try to take a ride on it.  It brings back a lot of memories,  That being said, I suspect it was missing half of its hangers the last time I was on it.  I hope they still have people who know how to fix it and a place from whom to buy spare parts.

I know they get a lot of spare parts from the old Poma at Pico.
    - Sam
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    I grew-up using pomas. Hidden Valley, Somerset, PA had a rope and four pomas in the 60's. All were detachable. Sometimes you would, or could if you tried, get shot out of the start.

ski_it said:

That old Poma is a hoot to ride. It shoots you out of the gate once the grip clamps onto the cable. Very pleased that Killington has kept it in place all these decades.

The world needs more detachable surface lifts. Someone should invent a detachable t-bar.
  • SnowmasterSnowmaster advanced
    Wasn't Giant Killer the old lower Snowdon Poma?
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited May 8 Posts: 314
    Giant Killer was at Pico, actually may have been called Summit Poma .

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Giant Killer is at Pico. There is still a trail there named that, but I believe the Poma was called the Summit Poma, as mentioned by Chuckstah.
    - Sam
    edited May 8 Posts: 1,622

Giant Killer is at Pico. There is still a trail there named that, but I believe the Poma was called the Summit Poma, as mentioned by Chuckstah.
    Yes, but snowmaster's question was, "Wasn't Giant Killer the old Lower Snowden Poma?"  In other words, before it was either the Giant Killer or Summit Poma, it was at Killington and called the Lower Snowden Poma, which went up parallel to where the Snowden Triple is now.  Just before the mid-station, the Summit Liftie Shack can still be seen.
  • newmannewman advanced
    The lower Snowdon poma line was where Interseptior and skiers left edge of High line are.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited May 8 Posts: 468
    Negative, it was on Conclusion as Josh stated - looker's left, skier's right. Ended right below where Great Northern crosses ie where the Triple midstation is.
    newpylong said:

Negative, it was on Conclusion as Josh stated - looker's left, skier's right. Ended right below where Great Northern crosses i.e. where the Triple mid-station is.

It allowed you to get off and ski down to the Upper Snowden Poma.  I think for $3 you could get a poma-only lift ticket which gave you full access to Snowden and from the Glades Poma, access to most of Killington Peak and all of the Glades (now known as the North Ridge).
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 8 Posts: 1,559

I've ridden it a bunch of times but alas no videos. I wouldn't have been able to hold on to my phone on launch or up in the steep section, so I would have had to buy a Go Pro....

Found this though: Burke Poma Man  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NninlipZgA

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA