Lake Compounce Sky Ride

edited August 2016 in The Pit Posts: 1,676
Here are some photos of the Sky Ride at Lake Compounce from yesterday. The lift is a Doppelmayr Quad and is a very scenic 25 minute ride up and down the ridge.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
- Sam
image.jpeg
960 x 1280 - 451K
image.jpeg
1280 x 960 - 622K
image.jpeg
1280 x 960 - 520K
image.jpeg
1280 x 960 - 334K
image.jpeg
1280 x 960 - 533K
image.jpeg
1280 x 960 - 653K

Comments

• newmannewman advanced
    I went there the first season it was in. A lot of temp ladders were still sitting next to many of the cliffs from construction. The liftline looks like Icicles at Bouquet but ten times longer. I think that chair does the most very in Conn.
  • verticaldropverticaldrop intermediate
    I took the ride a couple weeks ago.  Very steep for the first third of the ride, steepest chairlift I have ever rode and also very high at some points and mostly over rock. The return down was a white knuckle ride for me.   Id like to know the vertical?  Guessing 800' ?
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited August 2016 Posts: 723
    IDK the exact elevations of the terminals, the DEM for that park on GoogleEarth has an error in it.  But from USGS topo maps, the lake is at 201' and the summit is at 931'.  It's only about 2100' long.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,676

I took the ride a couple weeks ago.  Very steep for the first third of the ride, steepest chairlift I have ever rode and also very high at some points and mostly over rock. The return down was a white knuckle ride for me.   Id like to know the vertical?  Guessing 800' ?

It's certainly not the type of terrain that would be expected in CT. It's roughly 600' vertical and it must be more than 2,100' long because that's about how long it is without including the elevation change.
    - Sam
    The map length is approximately 1995'.  It certainly is very steep.
  • newmannewman advanced
    1981 length to 745 vert. That's steep.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert

The return down was a white knuckle ride for me.   

Funny you should say that. For some reason I can ride chairlifts all winter long.  Even lack of safety bar at Loveland doesn't bother me.  But summer chairlifts?  I'm always uneasy.  Can't explain it.
    Up or down?  In summers I'm fine going up. But going down is always a lot more scary, even if the liftline is just an easy black.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,386

Rick that's because there is no soft snow 25-100 ft below you. We had the same feelings this weekend. Mrs Ski_it didn't enjoy the Auto Road (I was driving) or hiking along the "edge" of Huntington or Tucks, but she had no problem with going down the Attitash chair. She actually enjoyed it. Myself, the Wildcat gondola didn't bother me but I didn't care for going down the Bear Peak chair all that much. Just felt wrong.  Weird, huh?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    It seems to me any time I visit a ski area in summer it looks steeper.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited August 2016 Posts: 900
    Yes!  Agree with much of above and will add a few variations...

Not sure the snow makes a difference....a lot of times I'm riding a chair up and there is no snow underneath it in the winter, be it early season or banana belt conditions.  At that time it doesn't bother me, I'm wondering if it's subconsciously because of the skis?  I really don't know.

Up or down doesn't matter, agree down is worse, but not by much. 20ish years ago went on the Whiteface summer rides, which was two fixed grip chairs to get to the semi-summit.  I got off after the first leg, they pointed me to the next chair, I said no thanks and walked down!

A couple years ago rode up Belleayre Lift 7 for some kind of harvest festival.  Again I walked down.  Been on that lifts dozens if not a hundred times in the winter!

Yet as a little kid I rode the Killington summit double up & down summer of 1966 and it didn't bother me a bit.

Cannon trams old and new, Wildcat gondy old and new, Sunapee gondy, none of them bothered me in the summer.  I think its seeing my feet dangle over the abyss ;) that bothers me
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Slide Brook Express express connecting Lincoln Mountain and Mount Ellen at Sugarbush has some pretty scary downhill rides over the mountain ridges. 
  • slopefillersslopefillers novice
    mapnut said:

It seems to me any time I visit a ski area in summer it looks steeper.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Took the little ones hiking across the mountain from Snowbasin last week and couldn't believe how steep even the beginner runs looked with no snow.
  • JimKJimK advanced
    I rode the Snowbird Tram in Sep 2015 with no snow on the ground.  Not only did Great Scott, etc. look super steep, but incredibly rocky.  The slopes were covered with brick-size rocks by the millions.  You wouldn't want to walk/climb very far on that terrain if you were a hiker.  Shows you that skiing can be the easiest way to traverse certain kinds of terrain
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    That Mt Blanc thing looked scary, a 10 year old over night, I'd be crappin my pants.

Who has done the Whistler peak to peak?

I have driven SO many mountain hairpin roads but the one that sticks in my gut was that auto road, combo gravel, steep grade, high winds,etc I was glad Mrs kid stayed at the bottom.

Never had queasy guts on any chair except for an old center pole( replaced now I think) at the smaller Boyne owned area in Utah with a huge drop. Millicent?

I just loved that Garaventa center pole double atbNorquay, it had lots of knee room and rode up a steep grade,imageimage
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Your all right, it is weird riding DOWN a chair.
    I kick myself now for not taking the Lake Louise chair