Hey, are you getting the Super Mega Mountain Ultimate Combo Pack Pass this year, or what?

rickbolgerrickbolger expert
edited September 2016 in The Pit Posts: 981
My brother forwarded this to me, gave me a good laugh.

It’s a tough call, as you probably know. I haven’t decided between the Super Mega Mountain Ultimate Combo Pack Pass and the other one, the Ultra Total Peaks Super Multi Pass.

Link to article

Comments

• mapnutmapnut expert
    I just hope to ski at least 3 days this year.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,559
    mapnut said:

I just hope to ski at least 3 days this year.

Amen to that brother
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • jgrecojgreco intermediate
    I want the "No Loose Granular Pass" after last season.
  • ski_itski_it expert

Ooh I like that NLG Pass. Sign me up.

Ok, is it me or does this make no sense? I was looking at the bennies for the Peak Pass and I sent them this question. 

Question:
    Under Benefits the Ranger Pass lists: Exploring Non-Holidays, the Drifter Pass says Exploring Unlimited. I don’t see another reference to it. What is Exploring?

Answer:
    "The Ranger Pass is valid non-holiday only; it is blacked out for 11 holiday days. Therefore, you can go ‘exploring’ (skiing/riding) only non-holidays.
    The Drifter Pass is valid every day, with no black out days.  Therefore, you can go ‘exploring’; every day so it is unlimited."

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Ooh I like that NLG Pass. Sign me up.

Ok, is it me or does this make no sense? I was looking at the bennies for the Peak Pass and I sent them this question. 

Question:
    Under Benefits the Ranger Pass lists: Exploring Non-Holidays, the Drifter Pass says Exploring Unlimited. I don’t see another reference to it. What is Exploring?

Answer:
    "The Ranger Pass is valid non-holiday only; it is blacked out for 11 holiday days. Therefore, you can go ‘exploring’ (skiing/riding) only non-holidays.
    The Drifter Pass is valid every day, with no black out days.  Therefore, you can go ‘exploring’; every day so it is unlimited."

I wouldn't have guessed that. :-/
    - Sam
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Eleven holidays in three months!  Eleven!   American skiing has many ties to its European roots.
  • ski_itski_it expert

Eleven holidays in three months!  Eleven!   American skiing has many ties to its European roots.

More time for you to go non-exploring...oops I mean exploring..no I mean, er ... #$%*!  IDK what I mean.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    In answer to Rick's original question, I think I'll just get The What.

Woody
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Read the PEAK RANGER pass a little more carefully, it has more of a grey out. There are NO Blackout days at Crotched Mountain with that pass. Why? Well it turns out many of the locals/regulars go North for the holidays & school vacation leaving Crotched relatively less crowded.

So, if you don't mind less vertical, short lift lines on a HSQ, good parking and a seat in the cafeteria/bar come ski the Crotch. Chances are you can get 40 or 50 runs in if your legs can take it - last years record was 107 runs in one day!   
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    NELSBEER said:

So, if you don't mind less vertical, short lift lines on a HSQ, good parking and a seat in the cafeteria/bar come ski the Crotch. Chances are you can get 40 or 50 runs in if your legs can take it - last years record was 107 runs in one day!   
    Actually, it was 111 on the Rocket; Dylan went from 9AM to 9PM + he ate lunch and dinner during 2 rides on the west double.  His log from the app he was using was posted on the CM FB page at a bit over 100K vertical.  BTW, that was the same day I did a humble 70 runs on the Rocket between 9AM and 5:45PM, good for a bit over 60K.
    Oh yeah, if that's not enough skiing for one day on Fridays and Saturdays in January & February the season passes now include Midnight Madness - ski until 3 am the following morning. Although the marketing folks probably aren't allowed to encourage such things I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear how many vertical feet a person can pack into 18 consecutive hours of skiing or riding.    
  • ski_itski_it expert

"Read the PEAK RANGER pass a little more carefully, it has more of a grey out. There are NO Blackout days at Crotched Mountain with that pass."

Very true, it was still a great deal. Also, the ages 18-29 with no blackouts is still only $399.  I rarely go out over the Xmas week any more (unless the conditions are really good) or on 1/15 so that's 6 days gone from the 11. And as you point out, I can go to Crotched any day, to see JS go flying by me!  

Plus with using 2 days last spring at Wildcat & 2 summer chair rides I've already taken a $180 list price out of my pass.

My point was that the Exploring as a Bennie was worded a tad strange (EDIT) like the orig. article . And I think Rick's (EDIT) ok - 2nd point was that most working stiffs are lucky to get 11 holidays for the entire year, yet the ski industry squeezes 11 in to 3 months. But it is something we skiers & riders are long accustomed too.

A side note, I was at my local shop this weekend dropping my skis off for tuning, err.. base repair, & checking out the equipment. Can't wait to go. See you on the slopes.  

• rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited September 2016 Posts: 981
    In answer to Rick's original question, I think I'll just get The What.

Woody
    It wasn't my question!

I was linking to an article ...for those who missed that, it's fun reading, a remarkably similar to discussions above: 

WHAT SKI PASS ARE YOU GETTING THIS YEAR?

Hey, are you getting the Super Mega Mountain Ultimate Combo Pack Pass this year, or what? I know it’s already September, but I haven’t decided quite yet.

It’s a tough call, as you probably know. I haven’t decided between the Super Mega Mountain Ultimate Combo Pack Pass and the other one, the Ultra Total Peaks Super Multi Pass. I know, it seems like a no-brainer, with the Super Mega Pass giving you access to three resorts plus four days each at the other three resorts, plus 1.5 days each at six resorts in four states that are only a $250 flight way if you go on a Tuesday, for only $899. But I did that last year and I was unable to take advantage of those extra 1.5 days at the other six resorts in four states that don’t border my home state.

Plus I just started seeing this person I met on Tinder and they’re really into the Ultra Total Pass, which in contrast to the Super Mega Pass, is only $649, and gives you unlimited access to the three resorts slightly closer to where I live (less than two hours if you leave at 6 a.m. on Saturday and don’t stop to pee on the way up there), plus three days at that other super-chill place that’s only 45 minutes away and is kind of cool for a few days of skiing but I would never buy a season pass there. Because if the dating gets any more serious, it’s going to be super awkward if ski season starts and I have a Super Mega Pass and they have an Ultra Total Pass. I mean, how are we supposed to grow a relationship if we can’t ski on the same mountains the whole season? We might as well just say goodbye on Nov. 15 and pick it back up on April 1, because I’m sure as sh-t not paying full-price for lift tickets at those places. That’s like $90 a day, plus parking.

My buddy says he has a friend who’s like some sort of mathematician who went to MIT but dropped out, and he apparently designed an algorithm that will decide which ski pass is the most bang for your buck. I don’t know how it works, but the guy says the Ultra Total Pass is the way to go. But there’s no way the guy could factor in which has the best terrain, because—and I know this is personal preference—I really think after about four or five weekends of skiing at all three mountains covered under the Ultra Total Pass, I’m pretty much bored. There isn’t enough tree skiing, except at that one place, and the other two mountains don’t have enough steep stuff. But I think the traffic is worse if you’re trying to ski weekends and you go to the Super Mega Pass mountains. Oh, you disagree? Yeah, it’s kind of a tossup, isn’t it.

Anyway, who knows if that MIT dropout guy doesn’t work for one of the big ski corporations anyway? I mean who the hell designs these ski pass deals, right? It HAS to be some MIT mathematician, doesn’t it? Sh-t is so complicated. It’s almost as confusing as trying to decide which paper towels are the best for your money, or which health insurance plan to get.

So I’m leaning toward the Super Mega Pass, I think. Mostly because I have been reading long-range weather forecasts, and a higher fraction of the Super Mega Pass resorts are supposed to be hit more with storms coming from some sort of jet stream or La Nina/El Nino/La Abuelita pattern or something like that. But I have another date tonight with that person who has the Ultra Total Pass, so if it goes well, everything could change by tomorrow morning.

What are you going to do? Oh, you’re selling all your sh-t and moving to Jackson or Telluride in October? Yeah, that’s probably less confusing. Well, have fun. I gotta put some more work into these Pros and Cons of the Super Mega Mountain Ultimate Combo Pack Pass and Ultra Total Peaks Super Multi Pass lists before my date tonight. Maybe I’ll see you out there this winter. Or not.  
    ;)
    We're all just having fun waiting for the massive Halloween Blizzard precipitated by a 'Perfect storm' encountering a freak early polar vortex... dumping 4 feet of snow on New England (& closing the roads)....

Being a patroller, skiing Cannon free (65+ NH resident) and various deals my 95 days of skiing cost very little last year. But if anyone can come up with a Super Mega Beer Card or a Super Mug Club I'll be in line.

Oh, a note anyone JS is skiing past at relatively high speed is probably sitting down or in my toboggan. JS' style is distinctive, he will ski anything but at a moderate pace   
  • ski_itski_it expert

"Oh, a note anyone JS is skiing past at relatively high speed is probably sitting down or in my toboggan."

Ok, may be I did exaggerate some for literary effect, but he is faster than that! 70 runs in less than 9 hours

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

"Oh, a note anyone JS is skiing past at relatively high speed is probably sitting down or in my toboggan."

Ok, may be I did exaggerate some for literary effect, but he is faster than that! 70 runs in less than 9 hours

nelsbeer is accurate concerning my "conservative (read: Slow)" pace. But on the 70 run day, we were cooking.  Ski Tracks noted that I maxed at 50+MPH - but there is many a day that I don't go over 35 MPH.
  • ski_itski_it expert

That's about my "pace" these days too.

I was amazed when my Ski Tracks said I hit 65.6 mph at Bretton when I checked it after I stopped apres ski at Cannon to take some pictures. Then I realized I forgot to turn it off when I was done skiing. Doh!

X_X