2016-2017 World Cup

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    Awesome Marcski
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,794
    The Superstar webcam is no longer listed on Killington's website. It is currently showing an obstructed view, which is blocked by a grandstand.

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam
    http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/superstar.html
    - Sam
  • skirickskirick intermediate

Is the NBC on line feed not working or just delayed?

• obienickobienick expert
    Delayed due to fog. 10:00 start now. 
  • skirickskirick intermediate
    I was going to say that it looked pretty foggy on the webcam this morning.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,232
    Like this 360 cam

http://killington.roundshot.co/peaklodge/

Will be flipping NBC at 3 during Buckeye blowout

6 lifts 21 trails sounds good to me
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 198
    That was awesome. Watched with my youngest who loves that she skis the same trail that the WC women raced on. I can't wait for the 2nd run and tomorrow's Slalom.

Huge Kudo's to Killington...the true BEAST of the East.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Really awesome experience along the side of Superstar next to the finish area! HUGE crowd!!
    IMG_20161126_093009709_HDR.jpg
    2952 x 5248 - 4M
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    DrJeff said:

Really awesome experience along the side of Superstar next to the finish area! HUGE crowd!!

IMG_20161126_093554901_HDR.jpg
    5248 x 2952 - 5M
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,542
    Sweeeeetttt!!!! Dr Jeff :D :D :D
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    If there were really 16,000 fans there like USSA claims, you can bet your a$$ that Killington will replace Aspen as a permanent site, especially with how well snowmaking went in one of the warmest October-Novembers ever.

I'm coming tomorrow.  Anybody there have the 4-1-1 on attending?  It appears the skiers' left grandstands are better as they are taller, but they face the wrong way and the VIP tent might block the TV screen.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Awesome experience, what a crowd. 

If you are attending tomorrow, get there earlier than you think you need to. By like, an hour (on top of your already planned early arrival time). If you can park at Snowshed or Ramshead and can walk to/from, you'll have a much easier time getting in and out. The bus to and from Skyeship was a loooooong wait. Looked the same for Pico from the other side.

I should have set my alarm an hour earlier. I had planned to arrive more than an hour before the start but arriving two hours before the start would have been better. Still not sure that would be earlier enough to get parking near Snowshed or Ramshead, perhaps someone else that tried the Access Road can comment. I only saw the start of the race because it was delayed. 
    Shot of the grandstands... big TV just out of the shot on the right side of the frame.
    20161126killington.jpg
    800 x 433 - 219K
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    obienick said:

If there were really 16,000 fans there like USSA claims, you can bet your a$$ that Killington NJwill replace Aspen as a permanent site, especially with how well snowmaking went in one of the warmest October-Novembers ever.

I'm coming tomorrow.  Anybody there have the 4-1-1 on attending?  It appears the skiers' left grandstands are better as they are taller, but they face the wrong way and the VIP tent might block the TV screen.
    I echo what Riv said about getting there EARLY!! I had to drop my kids off at Skyeship base at 6:45 for their pre race athletes parade - my wife and I then drove up and parked at Snowshed, getting to the lot just before 7, got our tickets (we actually took a few runs) and was in the line for the shuttles at Snowshed by 7:10 - line was about 100 yards long, and we didn't make it up to KBL until 8:05!!

The grand stands are reserved seating only, so unless you have one of the sold out tickets, no chance of sitting in there.

I stood on the right side of the finish area as you look up the hill, just above the tower mounted fan gun - great sight line to the entire last pitch, as well as straight across the finish area so you could see the big big video screen that was showing the entirety of each racers run, and I was maybe 100 feet from where the racers walked out from the finish corral area - in reality, based on Riv's picture location, I wasn't very far away from where he took it.

Also, watching people try and negotiate the muddy in spots, snowy in others, slippery hillside of the spectator area was plenty entertaining at times!!!

Souvenir wise, if you want some, and park at Snowshed, they have all the same merchandise in the base lodge shop in Snowshed as they had in the tents outside of KBL. KBL was a zoo!! And there was some muddy, gooey ground for sure!!

Have a blast, it was a really cool thing to see in person today!!

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Phenomenal event today...great to see such a crowd at a terrific venue. I hope it becomes a regular stop on the tour! Will be back for SL tomorrow.
    Yes I have grandstand tickets and a K1 parking pass.

Riv and others, what time did you get there? I'm planning on leaving here around 4am with a 2.5 hour drive gets us there a half hour before gates open.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    obienick said:

Yes I have grandstand tickets and a K1 parking pass.

Riv and others, what time did you get there? I'm planning on leaving here around 4am with a 2.5 hour drive gets us there a half hour before gates open.

Even at 8AM with full bus after full bus dropping people off at the security checkpoint just to the right of the drop off area at KBL, it was at most 10 minutes from getting into the security line until my wife and I were over by the grandstands - once you make it up to KBL proper, it went smoothly.

My hunch is that K was on the phone with a local bus company to get some extra rental buses/school buses on hand for tomorrow - the shuttle system, was literally the only issue I had, as they didn't have enough for the crowd I'm guessing was WAY bigger than they thought they'd have!

One of my friends, who had preferred parking and grandstand seats, said the seats were good, but at times him and his kids wanted to get down and into the electric vibe that the non grandstands spectator areas had!

Parking wise, he had to walk from down by K's Mtn ops area near the Snowdon Quad, and that was with getting to the lot just after 7
    edited November 2016 Posts: 233
    If Jeff was able to get near the Snowdon Quad just after 7am, I would count that as a win and a good time to shoot for that way you can completely avoid the bus situation or at worst just need a bus from Snowshed to KBL. The real issues were with Skyeship and Pico buses from what I experienced/observed.

And I don't blame K for the bus situation, it really was the only issue and they probably didn't expect as many people. They had a really solid plan but just not enough buses for the longer routes. Everything else went off superb and K deserves HUGE props for an otherwise flawless event.
    Shriffen is up by 0.65 seconds after the first run.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Nice reporting people.
    Caught the beginning of the broadcast yesterday but then I had to leave JMaul land and drive into Manhattan then home. :(
    What I did see was a huge crowd and they played up the Killington/VT angle. And they talked about all the ski clubs in the area as they showed 3 seconds of the pre athletes parade. The club that was shown was Middlebury. I then saw like 2 racers in the fog and I was out of there. Clear today I hope?
    Overcast. I'll leave out spoilers. It'll be on nbc at 3.

The big news is it's all but official the WC is coming back. The Secretary General (or some similar position) of the FIS just said on the PA "Everyone will be excited to come back again."
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Was good to watch, don't miss Brooker
    Boy those girls are good
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    ski_it said:

Nice reporting people.
    Caught the beginning of the broadcast yesterday but then I had to leave JMaul land and drive into Manhattan then home. :(
    What I did see was a huge crowd and they played up the Killington/VT angle. And they talked about all the ski clubs in the area as they showed 3 seconds of the pre athletes parade. The club that was shown was Middlebury. I then saw like 2 racers in the fog and I was out of there. Clear today I hope?

The pre-race junior racer parade by ski club was a cool thing! Granted 2 of the kids in it (there were roughly 750+ total!!) were my own 2 kid's, so I might be a bit biased ;)

I just know that my kids thought it was an AWESOME event and I heard many of their racer friends(as well as their parents) at Mount Snow, today, who went to K yesterday as well with the same sentiments!
    obienick said:

Overcast. I'll leave out spoilers. It'll be on nbc at 3.

The big news is it's all but official the WC is coming back. The Secretary General (or some similar position) of the FIS just said on the PA "Everyone will be excited to come back again."

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. It's political too. Aspen is a huge, popular venue for the racers. So much so, that they got this season's finals...hence the opening this fall for another North American venue which Killington filled. Granted there was and probably still is a strong push for the FIS to bring back the WC to the East.
    Also, don't forget, 16,000 people is nothing for a ski race in the scheme of things. They get 50,000 on a Tuesday night in Schlaadming every year for a slalom race.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Awesome event today again. Huge fun to be in the middle of the huge crowd. As much excitement as Schladming or Kitzbühel (I've been at both) but with far fewer drunks... Hope it comes back.

Awesome event today again. Huge fun to be in the middle of the huge crowd. As much excitement as Schladming or Kitzbühel (I've been at both) but with far fewer drunks... Hope it comes back.

Must have been great....eap with Mikaela kicking butt.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Did anyone ski there today? If so, how was it?
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Hey this is fantastic, thanks for the reports and photos!