2016-2017 World Cup

Comments

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Might as well play 2. Lots of setup and training for just 90 seconds of racing. LL typically has 2 DH when they host
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 981
    World Cup rules and schedule are kind of like NASCAR. They keep tweaking things with the start order and there's apparent favoritism for certain venues  This year they did something with the start order, I think you need a slide rule to figure it out
    edited December 2016 Posts: 981
    Was watching some of that on Universal HD this weekend every time they did that one big jump it was still a surprise and I said "wow" for every skier.  Wow.    I really hate getting air myself but love watching professionals do it!

This Universal HD thing is great, never had it in previous seasons. I don't think I've ever seen that course on tv before, really is an interesting course.  Amazing how Nyman is so dialed in to that, even though he nearly lost it on one of the jumps

Ladies in Val d'Isere, Lara Gut blew two opportunities for big points
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,559
    And as of 12/11/2016 Mikaela Shiffrin had won 11 straight slaloms. But since then Lara Gut has shrunk Shiffrin's lead in the overall from 105 pts to 5 pts.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Women's GS cancelled today due to high wind
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    edited December 2016 Posts: 87

Burke to be First U.S. Ski Team Development Site.

https://vtdigger.org/2016/12/20/burke-first-u-s-ski-team-development-site/ 

• obienickobienick expert
    Wasn't Mittersil named that last year with their build-out?
    Nice race today for the US' AJ Ginnis in Madonna night slalom. Starting 58th, 13th first run, skied conservatively to finish 26th, but great result for a young talent.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    obienick said:

You remember correctly....well I found this link. Training site ..development site..
    http://alpine.usskiteam.com/news/ussa-announces-mittersill-training-site

https://vtdigger.org/2016/12/20/burke-first-u-s-ski-team-development-site/
    Would Burke be for younger kids since the school is there, and Mittersill for the full-fledged team (like for the B/C team folk)?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Mikaela Shiffrin with a .78 sec win in GS at Semmering today has a 55 pt lead in the overall. Another GS tomorrow.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier intermediate
    obienick said:

No. They were named a "U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) Training Site", not a  "U.S. Ski Team Development Site"
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,559
    Mikaela Shiffrin wins her 2nd GS at Semmering in two days. Now a 115 pt lead in the overall. Women's slalom Thursday.
    Elsewhere the Men's DH was cancelled.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    If Mikaela was Austrian she'd be more famous than....Arnold?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 806
    Mikaela swept all 3 races while sick.  7 SL wins in a row now, one away from tying the record. 12 straight SL wins in races she's entered (I think that was reported to be a record ahead of the race, but neither the FIS nor USSA says anything in more recent articles).  First female racer since 1989 to win 3 tech events at one site.  Video in the article.

"I’m just a 21-year-old girl! Everybody has to stop telling me these things [that she's a legend]. (laughs) I’m just trying to ski."
    Watch her first run on NBCSports online if you can. Great lesson in how to recover from multiple mistakes that would have spit out a lesser skier. She is a once-in-a-generation talent.

http://stream.nbcsports.com/nbc/olympics?pid=28974   her run is at the 19 minute mark
    Slightly OT but I saw a rumor that the Town of Killibgton has a $100,000 line item for bringing the WC back. Money for local suppliers and must be voted at Town Meeting whenever it is.
    Lindsey Vonn snapchatted several pictures of her on the slopes at Vail today including on the trail named for her.  I think this is her first day on snow.  Seems pretty quick! 
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    obienick said:

Lindsey Vonn snapchatted several pictures of her on the slopes at Vail today including on the trail named for her.  I think this is her first day on snow.  Seems pretty quick! 

I heard she may race in a fee weeks!!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 9 Posts: 1,559
    Shiffrin wins slalom and now leads overall by 305. It was the American’s 27th career win, which puts her level with Phil Mahre in third place among American skiers with most World Cup wins, behind Bode Miller (33) and Lindsey Vonn (76). She also equaled Swedish standout Ingemar Stenmark’s feat of 27 victories before turning 22.

With his 19 World Cup wins, Alexis Pinturault definitively surpassed Jean-Claude Killy’s French record today with a GS victory.
    ski_it said:

Shiffrin wins slalom and now leads overall by 305. 

Hirscher's lead overall is about the same.    Seems to me Gut will gain significantly on speed events, while Pinturault's only edge on Hirscher is GS, and that pesky Hirscher is either on or just off the podium at most GS events while Pinturault has been a bit lower in SL.  They seem about equal in Super G although lately Hirscher seems to be improving.  So I'm thinking we'll have a close competitive women's but men's likely another runaway for Hirscher.
    Vonn returned today, finishing 13th in the DH race.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 15 Posts: 1,559
    She's nuts and amazing all the same time.
    Jacqueline Wiles USA was on the podium in 3rd
    Great telecast yesterday on Universal HD, going back and forth between events sort of like Wide World of Sports back in the day.  The DH was of course breathtaking and spectacular as usual.  For the slalom in Wengen, I thought the camera work/angles/whatever was far superior to what we usually see.  Seldom do I find slalom races so thrilling!   This time really got to see Hirscher's incredible skills, and then Kristoffersen just lay it out there with such physicality he was able to power through a little glitch he had in run two.  You could tell Chodounsky was skiing past the edge of control and you could also see some skiers just run out of gas. Seems to me the cameras were closer than usual, or longer range lens, don't know.  I don't usually call television "compelling" but this certainly was!

I think Linz has to be ok with her run, I didn't realize just how bad that nerve damage was.  Wow.  Not too many people would be skiing, let alone skiing a downhill.   

^  "She's nuts and amazing all the same time. "   well said!
    USA crashes at Kitzbuehel today were scary:

Don't do this:

Glad they each walked away uninjured...pretty amazing display of how b-net works in Weibrecht's fall.

Vonn's back!  Won the Kandahar DH in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. 
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited February 8 Posts: 199
    Travis Ganong, gave the USA men their first win in DH in quite sometime a couple of weeks ago.

World Championships this week. Vonn skied out in the Super G. DH to come.
    edited February 8 Posts: 981
    Holy cow -- the Crazy Canucks are back!!!!   Erik Guay winner in SG, Manny Osborne-Paradis third   :-O :-O :-O
    Lara Gut torn ACL.   :((     Such a shame, this was shaping up to be an exciting race for the overall