Boston.com Ski & Snowboard Expo 2016 Nov 10-13

ski_itski_it expert
in The Pit Posts: 1,605

"Get ready to kick off your season at the 35th annual Boston.com Ski & Snowboard Expo presented by SUBARU of New England.  Live acts, interactive exhibits and ongoing giveaways provide Expo visitors with non-stop entertainment and this year will not disappoint.

Seaport World Trade Center

Thursday, November 10: 3pm to 10pm
Veteran's Day
Friday, November 11: 
 10am to 10pm

Saturday, November 12: 10am to 8pm
Sunday, November 13: 10am to 6pm

$15 ticket includes a $10 Liftopia Gift Card, plus a 1-year subscription to SKI or Skiing Magazine*
Kids 12 and under are FREE. "

http://www.bewisports.com/boston-expo

There's a $3 dollar off coupon online. They emailed a $5 off coupon good until 10/10 to last year's visitors.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,605
    Heavy ad air play around here. I'll probably go Friday pm. The pundits claim people are chomping at the bit to go skiing after last year. So could be crowded? idk  - For me, the show paid off last year. Maybe I can get some more of those free NH tax dollars out of Cannon again. After that meet me in the Long Trail beer garten.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Been there, done it, yesterday afternoon.

First annoying thing was parking, weekday rates now $22.00 across the street. Pre buying the Expo ticket on line saved a few bucks.

There was a good crowd, but the show was not packed. Had to wait a few minutes for good food samples at Stowe (they bring chefs every year & offer samples of different items throughout the day.) The ski areas were all there and well enough staffed to allow time to chat. Chris Bradford is over at the Bretton Woods booth and seems happy with his marketing position there. Lots of posters, chap sticks, snacks, pens & other doodads were available for the taking. Lots of show specials on season passes, lift tickets and lodging. If you missed the spring/early prices on your season pass this may be your last chance to save.

All the ski vendors were there with their latest wares and the usual 'ski shop' was set up with many deals on last seasons stuff. I was surprised how much of last season's top of the line equipment was still available.

Some of the good swag you had to arrive early for, SUBARU gives away hats each day until they run out. T-shirts were available at certain times (Stowe & K'mart)  or you could jump thru hoops to get them elsewhere (Cannon).

By the way, Cannon had a map showing where all the new guns are located... none on Mittersil.  Many were on the upper mountain with an eye towards getting the top open earlier. They apparently have computer controls, maybe we have another early season entry in the works??? 

All in all the show had a similar feel to past years.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    It sounds like a better show than in recent years based on nelsbeer's report.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Yes getting in there and the price of parking is not fun. Supposedly there is a $12 lot down the street and a shuttle. Similar to last year although Cannon did not have the $25 tixs but they hinted if you still have the phone app you might be getting a special message soon. You can get a free T shirt with a social media pic post.
    I think I have enough passes for this year so I didn't check out all the deals too closely but this Peak Passport could work for some people. Last year this was only available early season but they said it will be available all year. There's a $45 Magic ticket. The WV deal, if I have it right, is $49 one ticket and then $15 off every tix.
    Stowe had a $59 liftopia with some blackouts. I'm sure there were other similar deals. Stowe's Spruce restaurant was serving horderves. Big chunks of cheese, ham, pepperoni and later salmon & chicken thingys.
    Nelsbeer thanks for the tip on the hats. They'll make good stocking stuffers.
    You can win a free ticket at Crotched with a bullseye on a dart board. I won a $10 off.
    Oh yeah I forgot, walked by Dan Egan a couple times. He was taking the show in too
    imageimageimage
    image.jpeg
    2448 x 2448 - 1M
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    image.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • JimKJimK advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 213
    Thanks for the reports.  Fun for me to read.  I miss the stoke, the deals, the networking.  We don't have a regional ski show anymore down here in the Wash DC area.  Beware of moderate attendance.  I think we've discussed this before.  Apparently, down here it was more trouble than it was worth to the show sponsors and the resorts??  They can do promotion with electrons instead.  But us old schoolers miss the real deal.
    You New Englanders are lucky to get so many good ticket deals at one place in this kind of event.  Loved the Magic Mtn poster, New Ownership - Old Soul.  Do you guys know the skier in that great picture?
  • SpruceSpruce intermediate
    Took my kids today (Sunday) after a two year hiatus and must say it was quite easy going. Scored some vouchers to Crotched due to my daughters dart throwing prowess. Oddly enough the booth that got most of my business was the New England Ski History Museums. Picked up a nice Tuckerman print and a couple of chairlift tree ornaments.  
    Subaru was still giving out hats and we each got one....Id bet we could fetch some good $$$$ if we were to sell them to hipsters. 
    Good times and many familiar faces.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    JimK said:

Loved the Magic Mtn poster, New Ownership - Old Soul.  Do you guys know the skier in that great picture?
    No idea who the skier is but they appear to have two right hands or a shadow
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    JimK said:

Do you guys know the skier in that great picture?

That's DoWork.  He's a phenomenal skiier, and responsible for most of the snowmaking pipe patching/ welding.  An all around great guy!