Regular SJ user requesting opinions, feedback....Gondyline.com / SkiBumUSA

rickbolgerrickbolger expert
in The Pit Posts: 1,028
Dear SJers,

Some of you may have noticed a thread started by kappcity06 called SkiBumUSA.   For those who are not aware I launched a site called SkierNet.com about a dozen years ago, then sold it about 4-5 years ago.  Wanted to stay in the game, so I rushed into a launch called Gondyline.com.  Clumsy name; seemed catchy at the time. 

I'm kind of in a jam right now trying to decide exactly where  I'm going to re-launch the site.  Basically I'm going to let the gondyline.com name fade into the sunset, put all of that content elsewhere, build a new brand.

Originally planned to do it as SKIBUMUSA.com last season.  Always wanted to do the site as SKIBUM.com but that is owned by a retail shop near Philly and I don't think it will ever be available.  So I talked myself into the USA thing, but now it sounds a little jingoistic to me.

Well now I own SKIBUM.org and just got SKIBUM.net (waited 12 years for that)  so I'm considering chucking the USA part. The content does get a lot of traffic from UK & Canada, but it's mostly related to US ski areas.  

Any comments, impressions, opinions, suggestions would be appreciated!  

Thanks,
Rick B.

PS, To kappcity06, Cisco, Woody and others who've used the various incarnations of skiernet.com over the years, sincere thanks!!!  

Comments

• kappcity06kappcity06 advanced
    I like ski bum straight up. A more simplified name will drive more traffic I think. Personally I love the section that has tidbits on every area in every state. I have used those pages many times to plan trips as all the information is nicely laid out. I'd say keep that updated and along with the blog portion and it could certainly keep driving mroe traffic. 
    My heart bleeds for winter.
    I know Gondyline/Skiernet has always been my go to source for basic information about ski areas outside of New England. I'll look forward to its new incarnation! Thanks for providing such a great resource!
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Rick, first of all THANK YOU for ALL your prolific online ski related prowess of sites. It was back in my infancy of this new gaget thing called the Internet roughly at the dawn of the new century where the frustration of waiting for this "high tech" in my mind fad with dial up started to pique my interest once I waited to see what "it" could do. I said doggone it these light switches have been around over a century and I don't have wait a millisecond why am I waiting for this high tech thing and was a long patience thing for me.

Well I thought to myself, I wonder what ever happened to Snow Bowl ski area, I knew it was right next to Jefferson HS and had vivid memories of my mom dropping my brother and I off there and letting us ski alone as 13 and 8 yr olds. and earlier as a 5-6 yr old standing between my dads old long skis(Head Standards) and riding up the TBar . I found a story on Skiernet.com and it sparked a keen interest in knowing hey this computer thing may be for real although my windows 95 was a model T, I slugged on.

Coupled with finding the New England Ski Area Project and Skiernet I now knew there other "whacknut's" out there with the same interest.

After a "rookie of the year" start on Snowjournal 10 years ago this month I met up with a fine group of fellow "whacko's" for a hike on 9/07 at Snow Bowl and the rest is history . I have gained way more than a few friends through this procedure and have several phone #s of these friends I can call to be real with and TALK to.

Thanks Rick for Skiernet, Gondyline, Skibumusa , Snowjournal, Nelsap, Jeremy, and a host of others for my first decade of Enjoyment off online ski related sites of which I am most grateful.

Wherever the Internet highway takes you may it be a enjoyable, profitable venture!

Whew
    :D
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,605
    +1 Ciscokid. I haven't used other blog sites much except for the occasional read here & there, so I can't add much. But like Kappcy06, just plain SKIBUM strikes me as a better site name for more traffic. Although you could get easily confused with SKI-BUMS.org .... not that there is anything wrong with that or anything... 
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    I'm still waiting for my free stickers.

Until then, I have "No Comment".......
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    edited October 2016 Posts: 219
    I'll defer to others about a name, since that's not a big deal to me.  I liked skiernet, adjusted to gondyline, and can live with skibum as long as some weathy guy looking for a green card doesn't buy in and force you to rebrand as Q-Skibum.  Just make sure I get my new stickers.

It's almost embarrassing to confess how often I've logged into skiernet/gondyline, especially c. 2006 after I'd been away from skiing for three decades.  I logged on to find out about ski areas i hadn't visited (Plattekill) or hadn't even known about (Cochran's).  It's no understatement to say that entire road trips were shaped heavily by the writeups on skiernet.  When friends proposed going to the terra incognita "out West," we all turned to skiernet to compare Utah areas with Colorado areas.  We picked Maine, by the way.  Sometimes I would just click on a random state like Montana and read the skiernet entries.  And smile.  Even guffaw.  Sure beats mowing the lawn or shoveling snow.  Three friends and I each bought a copy of The All-Mountain Skier b/c it was featured on skiernet.  Can you help me find a belt and tie for my daughter's wedding?

Whatever you do, don't lose the frankness, clarity, rickbolgerbiases and quirkiness of the ski area writeups.  Updates needed, even pertaining to the character of some places.  Maybe add some more photos if there's room.  

My thanks to you!

Woody
    (edited to fix a typo)
    Hey I'm thinking of getting into the travel agent biz! ( specializing in summer mountain ski area lift rides coupled with the sightseeing)

Of course the boss said I missed my calling

I even got Woody to go west earlier than planned and maybe JimK

Now all I gotta do is SKI with them
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Hey big thanks to all (except Mr. Maul) !!

Appreciate the input and kind words.  Encouragement!

Still moving & fixing bugs with content, but news is up and running....  http://www.skibum.net

Cisco....I gotta update that snowbowl page, have oodles of photos.

Woody...extra thanks for modeling for me for the new logo 

Still moving & fixing bugs with content, but news is up and running....  http://www.skibum.net

Very nice! I like it!
    - Sam
  • kappcity06kappcity06 advanced
    glad to see the site and, and 2 blog postings to boot...cant wait till we get more local news
    My heart bleeds for winter.
    Well I guess it was only 11 years ago but hec I celebrate my 10th Anniversary on SJ this month!
    Hec this must have been from my windows 95 dial up days!image
    image.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    ciscokid said:

Well I guess it was only 11 years ago but hec I celebrate my 10th Anniversary on SJ this month!
    Hec this must have been from my windows 95 dial up days!image

Uhh ... I'm trying to interpret the sketches on the brochure.

:)
    Well, you have my ski stance right.  I thought the beard was jmaul's, though.

Woody
  • JMaulJMaul advanced

:)
    Well, you have my ski stance right.  I thought the beard was jmaul's, though.

Woody
    I get no respect....

I think I am going to keep the beard in check this winter. Got a bit of flack from the Mrs.

Rick, any thought of adding the USA clicky map from previous sites? Keep the drop-downs but maybe have a button for the map?
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....