Crotched Mountain 2016-2017

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,802
    tedede said:

It is a shame that these decisions are made by desk jockeys as opposed to those who are actually skiing.

Just because it's poachable on your rock skis doesn't mean it's safe to open to the general public.

I find it somewhat ironic that the ropes that you complain about actually protect the limited natural snow that you enjoy when you duck under them.
    Ted: I'm not talking about the natural snow terrain.  I am talking about upper Pluto's, Retro and Cosmic Blast, all of which are fully covered and waterbars fully filled in - and any ropes I've ducked following Monday's storm - were not on rock skis.

And one more thing: To get home without walking, I went down Milky Way late on Monday, PM.  It was fully packed out by skiers traffic.  Thin cover - yes.  But it shows that when ropes are there for no good reason, my Milky Way example demonstrates that many skiers will lose respect for ropes that are up for a good reason, when they are used to seeing their frivolous use.  Thin cover warnings: Good.  Roped off due to open water bars: Good.  Roped off because of ongoing grooming - good.  The other day, Magnitude was groomed, fully covered and closed - not good.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited December 2016 Posts: 259
    Crotched generally does not like opening main trails until they are adequately covered edge to edge for most any skier & with enough snow to keep the trails open once the ropes are dropped. Decreasing announced trail counts really rub people the wrong way.  

The patrol asks the same questions as Joshua but has to wait for clearance before dropping ropes. The trails mentioned have been opened over the last few days. We got some new signs mandated by the risk people and got all clears from snowmaking (there were electrical wires on some of the closed trails). Magnitude opened the day after Joshua mentioned. Pluto's chute & Cosmic Blast opened today (with CAUTION / Ungroomed / Thin cover signs)... Unfortunately the upper hill was on wind hold. 

Snowmakers ran wires and hoses down Milky Way Thursday morning, are blasting it with snow today and tomorrow & should have it open for the weekend. Velocity, Comet, Super Nova & the park above the base lodge are about ready for the weekend with fresh very powdery snow being made in the current cold snap on top of earlier production. They were doing final checks on the West double Lift today & the carpet has been running for a few days. Ropes and signs are largely in place for this weekend... not bad for starting a week ago.

All areas are cooperating to get as much open as possible for the weekend. Here's a photo of a few patrollers helping another area get ready.

Yep, that's "Rocket Fuel" now in larger kegs to avoid running out.  
    RocketKeg3.jpg
    448 x 336 - 33K
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,740
    Who you kidding?? That's going right in your car ain't it. :D :D
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lysikjlysikj novice
    Josh if it's there ski it. LIVE FREE AND SKI!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks to a new person added to snow making this year it's been great. About time they give the kid a chance
  • ski_itski_it expert
    I finally met Joshua, briefly while he was heading down with Nelsbeer on his 30th something run and I was on my 6th at sunset. It was nice(for me anyway ;) )to finally say hi. Rode the lift later with Nelsbeer. It's been a few years since I've been night skiing, but it's been enjoyable. Nobodies here, most of mountain is open except that upper & middle trail under the Rocket. The snows not bad and the beer is great. As I headed out the driveway onto the highway a Crotchety old fox ran across the street.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Actually we process the beer & return it to the pond before the next cold snap.

They pretty much sucked the ponds dry during the last cold snap getting a few more trails open, UFO & Jupiter Storm are among the steeper trails on the hill and the Zero-G park opened with some jumps and other intermediate park fare.
    Some areas were dusted up with powder when temps were in the lower teens earlier this week.

There is still a fair flow of water into the ponds from the rain last weekend, hopefully there will be enough water to get the last few major up/down trails open when the temps drop next week.

The mountain crew was out all day today making sure the lights are all ready for MIDNIGHT MADNESS next weekend, 3am on Friday and Saturday. Could be quite the party if forecasts hold true. There is no special party, prices aren't jacked up or anything...  
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    NELSBEER said:

Actually we process the beer & return it to the pond before the next cold snap.

They pretty much sucked the ponds dry during the last cold snap getting a few more trails open, UFO & Jupiter Storm are among the steeper trails on the hill and the Zero-G park opened with some jumps and other intermediate park fare.
    Some areas were dusted up with powder when temps were in the lower teens earlier this week.

There is still a fair flow of water into the ponds from the rain last weekend, hopefully there will be enough water to get the last few major up/down trails open when the temps drop next week.

The mountain crew was out all day today making sure the lights are all ready for MIDNIGHT MADNESS next weekend, 3am on Friday and Saturday. Could be quite the party if forecasts hold true. There is no special party, prices aren't jacked up or anything...  
       question about the lights....i noticed the other night (Wednesday) that there were a few random lights out on the trails, but, a bunch out on Supernova - was like a black tunnel - would those be replaced soon?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    becca_m said:

NELSBEER said:

The mountain crew was out all day today making sure the lights are all ready for MIDNIGHT MADNESS next weekend....  
       question aboutes the lights....i noticed the other night (Wednesday) that there were a few random lights out on the trails, but, a bunch out on Supernova - was like a black tunnel - would those be replaced soon?
    Hmmm, I didn't go over there after dark and didn't notice if the lights were on there. I did see a couple crews fixing lites elswhere. Seemed pretty well lit except after where Moonwalk crosses Pluto. I did come down from UFO to the bottom of Velocity above the lodge and that was very well lit.

There are about 30 total that are out.  They were working on the tower lights on the Rocket yesterday (about 10 were out).  I know there are 8 to 10 out on Magnitude/Park, which I heard were on the to-do list.  I hadn't been on Supernova at night  to notice, but hopefully, someone in ops has been!  

In keeping with the Star Trek theme, perhaps one of these trails could temporarily be renamed, "Moonlight"!
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    we could say there are a few black holes on the mt.
    Remski said:

we could say there are a few black holes on the mt.

That works too.
    Tonight there a lot fewer than last week, nothing really eerily dark. Single lights on Super Nova & Galaxy rather than big black holes. They apparently ran out of bulbs so we may see more improvement when they restock. Definitely enough light to kick off Midnight Madness in style.

The lights were still on at 6pm when I left, maybe a little touch up snowmaking is in the works?. 
    NELSBEER said:

Tonight there a lot fewer than last week, nothing really eerily dark. Single lights on Super Nova & Galaxy rather than big black holes. They apparently ran out of bulbs so we may see more improvement when they restock. Definitely enough light to kick off Midnight Madness in style.

The lights were still on at 6pm when I left, maybe a little touch up snowmaking is in the works?. 
    This PM, I saw 4 out on Super Nova, 4 out in the Big Park, 1 on Magnitude and 1 out on the top tower of the Rocket.  I missed the one you noticed on Galaxy.

The water level in the pond looked adequate for some serious snowmaking and the forecast looks like serious cold weather.  It would be nice to have Pluto's within the week.
  • yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    I visited Crotched today 12/26.  I was on the 3rd chair on Rocket which they opened a few minutes early.  Surfaces were hard groomed - fast and firm but easily edgible.  .Snow making was ongoing on Pluto's.  No crowd to speak of but traffic did pick up as the morning progressed. 

I had to drop my son off at the 128 Amtrak station at 6:45am for him to get back to NYC so headed right up after I dropped him off. It is exactly a 1hr30min drive from the train station.  I had not been to Crotched since I was very young, maybe 10-12 years old - mid 1970's.  My grandparents lived in Peterborough and I would ski at Temple Mt and occasionally Crotched with my father and siblings.  However, I didn't recognize or remember anything about the mountain from those years.

I really enjoyed the slopes there today.  The Rocket is set up perfectly for lapping the whole layout.  I'm guessing I got in 20+ runs in the 3 hours I skied.

The grooming on Jupiters Storm/NCC-1701 was a bit rough, but everything else was very good.

Satellite Summit with some fan gun snow

some ice marbles on Jupiter's Storm  

moon walk - nice view.

• ski_itski_it expert
    yardsale said:

I had not been to Crotched since I was very young, maybe 10-12 years old - mid 1970's.  My grandparents lived in Peterborough and I would ski at Temple Mt and occasionally Crotched with my father and siblings.  However, I didn't recognize or remember anything about the mountain from those years."

Hmmm, I have the same feelings then I remember that's because it closed in 1989 and what you are skiing on today was Onset\Bobcat\Crotched West which was only part of Crotched East from 1981/82 to 1989/90. And then Peak bought, rebuilt & renamed everything open here today. The West Double is probably what's left of the only original chair. I don't think we really ski on the actual Crotched Mtn anymore, unless its the northern flank of it.

See Bobcat & Crotched here with a lot of info from Chris Bradford:

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/nh.html and https://skimap.org/SkiAreas/view/343 and here too of course from (timberleaf maybe?) : http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/NewHampshire/crotchedmtn.php

Ice Marbles? We call those death cookies. Nice pics. Cisco the last shows the cliffs with the trail.

edited December 2016 Posts: 259
    Ice Marbles? Too negative we don't use ICE anywhere anymore... How about Marbleous conditions?

Anyway everything will soften up today, something of a delicious Butter Cream surface while we wait for Thursday's snow.
    Ice Marbles? Too negative we don't use ICE anywhere anymore... How about Marbleous conditions?

Anyway everything will soften up today, something of a delicious Butter Cream surface while we wait for Thursday's snow.
    Dec. 27, 2016: Quite amazing how much snow was lost last night and the small brown patches of yesterday have  grown. The skiing is quite pleasant, but temps are already on the way down and tomorrow may be firm.  And like everybody else, I'm living in hope of an epic storm on Thursday.
    One bit of good news.  The pond is up at 4 to 6 feet and I think that most of that water was not melt from the hill.
    Dec. 29, 2016 - Thurs.
    The storm was a bit of a disappointment.  We were expecting 8" to 14".  Unless there is another burst of snow, we came in at 6" to 8".  Still better than any storm of last season.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 564
    Same here in thr upper Valley - 7 "
    They had us pegged at 12 to 18".
    Nice panorama shots! Any other ski areas visible off in the distance?

IBRAKE

Nice panorama shots! Any other ski areas visible off in the distance?

IBRAKE
    Looking west from CM, one can see Stratton, Okemo and Killington.  Looking north you can seen Ascutney, Pat's and Sunapee, but unless you know exactly what you're looking at, you wouldn't know - because you're looking at the south side and can't see the trails
    Pet peeve of the day: morons in the singles line who think:
    1.  They can wait for whomever they want while the rest of the line doesn't move and chairs go up at less than full capacity
    2.  Who haven't learned how to count to "x" where x=the number of seats on the chair!

That being said, the lifies did a reasonable job keeping the line moving.  At the peak of the day, the lift line might have reached 4-minutes, but only 2 minutes in the singles line.  Less than a minute on the Valley Chair.
    yah - it was a great morning there!!!!!      :)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Becca were you skiing or riding?
    Spoke to Nelsbeer while he was working and had a couple JS sightings. Hit some 6" cut up powder all day on the edges. A good day
    Dec. 30, 2106 - Fri.
    A rare day when the crowd overflowed into the last parking lot.  As mentioned above, lift lines existed but were small compared with most areas.

Except while I was teaching, I spent most of the day checking out the condition of the various glades.  becca_m is a terrific boarder and we took a few runs together thru some serious gnarl.  

A summary: 
    - Enchanted Forest: A lot of thin cover.  Some open water, but some good turns. (A variety of cuts and chutes on that side of the mountain were pretty decent.)
    - Dark Star: Pretty bony
    - Solstice: Thin cover but quite skiable.  Deteriorated thru the day due to high traffic.
    - Uranus: Bony
    - West Ledges: Only took one of the 4 options and it was bony enough that I didn't try the others..
    - Final Frontier and most of its chutes and cutoffs: Quite skiable, but not maintained last summer.  As a result, lots of small saplings that added a dimension of difficulty.

Bottom line: unless you're on a pair of really junk-skis, another foot of snow is necessary in most places as well as a period of cold to freeze some of the open water.
    Bluebird Day; 3" of fresh powder - Consensus: Probably the best day at CM since Thanksgiving 2014.  Weird that Friday's crowd (Dec. 30) was much bigger than yesterday or today.
    edited January 2 Posts: 115

Except while I was teaching, I spent most of the day checking out the condition of the various glades.  becca_m is a terrific boarder and we took a few runs together thru some serious gnarl.  

Thanks Joshua!!!!   I had no idea there were so many great glades there!!!  Thanks for the tours!!!!   :)     I cannot, however, promise to avoid first tracks in Solstice   :)     

No (new) damage to the base of my board!!!!!   :)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 2 Posts: 1,740
    I'm afraid to look at our bases. Found a phone on Solstice. Not yours I hope
    ski_it said:

I'm afraid to look at our bases. Found a phone on Solstice. Not yours I hope

Which glade did you try that did damage?

Yesterday, I tried Kuiper Belt - not good; but the T-Bar Lift line was awesome with only one really bad spot (pretty obvious when you get to it and requires two side steps to get around it.)

I hope you turned the phone in to lost and found.  I met someone who was searching for a lost phone.  Assuming the battery wasn't dead, it's easy enough to find out the number and/or just call the "emergency contact" and tell 'em you got it. 
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 2 Posts: 1,740

No glades really. Solstice trail glade, which you've pointed out isn't a glade, Might have hit something on Pluto and I crashed and burned on Blastoff. It was either bedrock, ice or a snow snake that popped one ski off spun me around and off came the 2nd. First binding(s) test of the year, so it's good to know they still work. All in all it was still fun skiing on some fairly good conditions. The wind blown-in powder on Pluto was fun. The crowds got progressively smaller Fri-Sun. Great views on Sunday as well.

Yes I brought the phone to the Customer Service desk who asked me to give to the ticket window. I didn't turn it on figuring I'd let it warm up/dry out. I hope they got it back.