Crotched Mountain 2016-2017

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    imageimageimageimage

Lower Pluto. Look I even took the time to rotate pics for you non-iPhone users
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    IMG_4669.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    IMG_4670.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    IMG_4672.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    IMG_4676.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    ski_it said:

No glades really. Solstice trail glade, which you've pointed out isn't a glade, Might have hit something on Pluto and ....

You are aware that Pluto's was roped and closed - so anything that happened there is your fault!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 2 Posts: 1,653

ski_it said:

No glades really. Solstice trail glade, which you've pointed out isn't a glade, Might have hit something on Pluto and ....

You are aware that Pluto's was roped and closed - so anything that happened there is your fault!
    I don't duck ropes. It was tempting Sunday as it was definitely the most doable that I've seen this year even for this novice. From the Eclipse crossover down was real inviting too, but we didn't do it. Oh I agree that anything that happens anywhere is probably my fault. BUT, the access from UFO wasn't roped off. SP saw us & said nothing. I saw 3 kids ducking the rope up on top with Ski patrol passing right above them on the chair and they said nothing. And I saw you & your buddy duck the rope to pick up garbage. Kudos on that BTW.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

ski_it said:

I don't duck ropes. It was tempting Sunday as it was definitely the most doable that I've seen this year even for this novice. From the Eclipse crossover down was real inviting too, but we didn't do it. Oh I agree that anything that happens anywhere is probably my fault. BUT, the access from UFO wasn't roped off. SP saw us & said nothing. I saw 3 kids ducking the rope up on top with Ski patrol passing right above them on the chair and they said nothing. And I saw you & your buddy duck the rope to pick up garbage. Kudos on that BTW.
    I forgot about the uphill from UFO.  You are right.  That was not a rope-duck.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Crotched will be closed tomorrow (Tuesday Jan 3rd) due to the forecast rain.

There is a fair amount of water in the ponds already, the rain should supply more for a final push to get the last few trails open. The snow to cover Pluto's has already been made & can be pushed out once the weather clears.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 3 Posts: 1,653

...I forgot about the uphill from UFO.

I can see why you would, it's not a normal route in season but I'd hardly call it uphill. Ok maybe 1.143 to 2.286 Crotched feet up. ;)
    Jan. 3, 2017 - Tues.

Crotched Mtn. made a very smart call and opted not to open today.  The forecast was for freezing drizzle in the AM followed by heavy rain in the PM.  That being said, I was not about to give up my "skiing fix" and began climbing the hill.  In anticipation of the rain, the mountain was groomed to pack down and hold as much loose snow as possible when the rain starts in earnest.

I went up Super Nova to Milky Way.  As I was just below the jct. of Milky Way and Moonwalk, I saw a boarder ride by, so I wasn't the only one who needed a skiing/riding experience today.

Aside:  One of the things I like most about Jay Peak is the fact that it is the only ski area where the Tram is the only way to the top.  If one gets off the tram and waits 5-minutes, everyone has skied away and there one is alone on a mountain top.

Not quite the same as Jay Peak, but I sat on the deck of the Ski Patrol Building for a few minutes to catch my breath and to enjoy that sense of being alone on a mountain top.

The way down was frozuroy - not unpleasant but certainly not powdery fluff.  I started down Satellite Summit which was not groomed and pretty icy.  So I turned off Satellite Summit onto Retro to Moonwalk and finished up on Meteor.

Things here, should be back to normal tomorrow.
    Jan. 4, 2017 - Weds.

Amazing how little damage or lost cover considering the magnitude of last night's rain storm.
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate

tedede said:

Opening day has still not been announced but snowguns have been running.

I think next weekend will be a challenge given the pond filling event forecast for midweek.

I noticed that Wachusett opened and they have similar weather and less fire-power than we have!
    They can now move 11,000 gpm up the hill, we can push 6,000 gpm
    lysikjake said:

tedede said:

Opening day has still not been announced but snowguns have been running.

I think next weekend will be a challenge given the pond filling event forecast for midweek.

I noticed that Wachusett opened and they have similar weather and less fire-power than we have!
    They can now move 11,000 gpm up the hill, we can push 6,000 gpm
    Someone else pointed out that Wachusett upped its fire-power this year.  At this point in time, it probably wouldn't help CM to increase gallons per minute without first increasing its water supply.
    Sorry to ruin everyone's fun. Today at 2:50 the call came in. I pulled the CLOSED sign from Pluto's and took the first (legal) tracks. No more secret stashes there!

They have been blowing snow on Pluto's for 2 weeks whenever weather allowed, including last night. The mixed ages of snow made for a rough ride in places today, the surface hardened up due to dropping temps.  With a nights wear and a good grooming it should be great for tomorrow. They have blown snow in many places over the last week preparing for the weekend, surfaces and coverage have been improving steadily. It looks like there is still enough water left to finish the last few snowing making  trails.

Rain and freeze have pretty much eliminated good glade skiing for the moment. There is a good base in the woods so they should be back quickly with a descent snow fall.
    Today the rope came down on COMET DROP, the last regular trail to open. The rain had soaked the snow but wind & cool temps had pulled out enough surface moisture to yield a firm surface in the morning. The sun came out at 9 am and softened things up where it hit, temps hit 51 F early afternoon & kids were skiing in shirt sleeves . Through the day you had a choice of anything firm chattering corduroy that required riding your edges to near spring soft stuff.

Earlier in the week most of the trails got freshened up & stocked with whales ready to be spread out for the weekend. Major park builds are underway for the Saturday night park event as well. Should be fun with the PAT's game on, park events, Bon Fire & midnight madness happening together on MLK weekend.    
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Ran the gates last night on Meteor as part of ARL. Quite firm but you could sink an edge in with the right skis. 
    Similar conditions to last week and based on temp trends looks like next Wed night as well.
    The rest of the mtn during warm up runs was less than desirable.

Jan. 12, 2017 - Thursday
    Better conditions today than  those of yesterday, but with the fog overnight, there has been tremendous loss of snow depth.

No real loss of open terrain.

The snowmaking pond is refilling, but those of us looking forward to glades and bumps will have to wait a bit longer.
    Jan.  14, 2017 - Sat.

Amazing what a little snowmaking and grooming will do.  Skiing is really pretty good today.  That's a bit of a surprise considering how bad it was yesterday!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited January 15 Posts: 1,653
    Sh-hh-hhh. Don't tell anyone ;)

Guns are blazing. They were draining the pond. Firm underneath but the trails where the fans were going were nice. Satellite to Meteor, UFO & Velocity. Jupiter...forgetaboutit...Pluto, not too bad. I found Moonwalk to be the usually stuff but late in the day some novices seemed to have trouble with it. Saw 4 at one time with skis off. Nelsbeer surprised me in the lift line and we shared a chair. I didn't recognize him at first because he was in camo (in his civvys). It was not crowded for a holiday weekend and we banged out 20+ runs in no time and we were out of there.
  • yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    Skied CM today 8:30 to 12:15. Rocket was loading early for college GS race on Satellite Summit/Meteor so I hopped on. Soft cord just about everywhere for the early morning runs. Jupiter Storm skied off quick probably due to the race as it was the only route down skiers left of rocket. Robust crowd due to Pat's promotion - lots taking advantage of the $29 ticket. Rocket was still ski on via the singles lane. Skied the short bump line on UFO - icy troughs but good sized soft/crusty bumps. Skied Satellite Summit / Meteor in between morning and afternoon races. Perfect morning to get in a ton of runs and be home and ready for SB LI.  Comfy temps in high 20's.

Cord on Pluto's

Jupiter's Storm headwall before it got skied off

Morning GS woman's run

Meteor
    Feb. 5, 2017 - Sunday
    I was surprised more people weren't here today given the $29 Super Bowl special.  I noticed I haven't commented since Jan. 14.  Basically, the skiing has been OK, but there isn't much change to report.  The major storms keep missing us.

It's been pretty much frozen granular with minimal glades.  There are moguls on UFO, but because of the poor snowmaking job over there, they are barely skiable by mortals.  The snowmaking missed the top 1/6, the next 1/3 is lovely, the next 1/3 they missed with the snowgun and the last 1/6 is nice.

I wasn't feeling the magic today so I decided to get the adrenaline pumping by trying some glades. The glades report:
    A summary: 
    - Enchanted Forest: A lot of thin cover but I hit no rocks.  I did not take it to the serpentine path.
    - Dark Star: I didn't even consider it.  It really wasn't maintained last summer and it will need more snow.  The exception is the T-Bar line which is maintained by another SJer.  I didn't take it, but the report I got from 2 who did: Nice at the top. Icy and scrapy at the bottom.
    - Kuiper Belt: Didn't try, but it wasn't maintained last summer
    - Solstice: Thin cover but quite skiable.
    - Uranus: Didn't try
    - West Ledges: Only took one of the 4 options and it was REALLY bony.  I did more sidestepping than skiing
    - Final Frontier and most of its chutes and cutoffs: Quite skiable and pleasant.
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    edited February 6 Posts: 37
    Everyone has to complain about the poor snowmaking. We're just trying to do our job!
    edited February 6 Posts: 1,717
    lysikjake said:

Everyone has to complain about the poor snowmaking. We're just trying to do our job!

Try moving the gun so that it covers the area of interest! When making snow on a mogul field, you can't just park a gun and make whales.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited February 6 Posts: 1,653

Edit: Great report Yardsale and good addendum JS. I thought conditions were good. Machined groom on hardpack. Rode the Rocket with Tedede and had a chat for the first time. Said hi to Nelsbeer. SJ homecoming? Besides the $29 Pats promo I heard that midweek pass holders could ski free. That was their PeakPass holders Appreciation Weekend perk. Mt Snow had wine & cheese and a raffle, not that I tried to get any. Attitash had an apres ski party. I think CM should have given out a free Rocket fuel.  <:-P

I parked pretty far back in the lot so I expected a bigger crowd. There must have been a lot of race fan non skiers. It was more crowded after Christmas for sure. But I did see more than a couple people who should have stayed on the beginner rope..er I mean carpet, instead of venturing up ot the top.  Rode up with some nice Babson racers and got the lowdown from them.

YS: I like that low angle shot of Pluto and was there a sun halo visible or is that just in the camera.

Re the college race:  The last time they had one (2 or 3 years ago), they left our mountain as though they were in a pig sty.  I wrote a scathing report and one of the Clarkson coaches who was active on SJ1.0 (I don't think he is on SJ2.0) said he would deliver my message to the appropriate race organizers.  While their clean-up was not perfect, they left minimal trash on the hill.

From this we learn:
    1. Sometimes bitching pays off
    and
    2. Half the problem is to get the complaint to the right people!

A hearty thanks to those associated with the race.

• yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    I rode up with some Castleton racers and had a great conversation.  Very polite and courteous.
    Feb. 6, 2017 - Mon.
    With very light traffic, the mountain held its groomed granular surface pretty much all day.

With the opening of the connection from Super Nova to Comet Drop,  Shooting Star is fully open and as of today, all trails on the trail map are fully open.  A rope remains on Re-entry where it allows one to cross under the West Double, but that's not named on the trail map. (Not sure why it's closed.  Snow was made at its base and there is plenty of snow to push if management wanted to open it.)
  • tededetedede advanced

.  A rope remains on Re-entry where it allows one to cross under the West Double, but that's not named on the trail map. (Not sure why it's closed.  Snow was made at its base and there is plenty of snow to push if management wanted to open it.)
    The groomer may not be able to make it under the low clearance under the double on the left side of that pitch.  
    Feb. 7, 2017 - Tues.

It snowed all day.  Everything was skiing beautifully - but for the adventurers, it was a day that really makes Crotched an area with true expert skiing.

Solstice and Final Frontier (and all its chutes and cuts) skied well.  You probably won't even ding a good pair of skis.
    Dark Star (including T-Bar lift line) and Upper Enchanted Forest skied well - but I advise against using a good pair of skis.

Uranus and the West Ledges were difficult (due to logs and rocks) and were marginally pleasant.

Kuyper Belt remains unskiable.
    tedede said:

.  A rope remains on Re-entry where it allows one to cross under the West Double, but that's not named on the trail map. (Not sure why it's closed.  Snow was made at its base and there is plenty of snow to push if management wanted to open it.)
    The groomer may not be able to make it under the low clearance under the double on the left side of that pitch.  
    You know it is not a requirement that a trail be groomed to open it!
    Feb. 8, 2017 - Weds.
    After a lackluster January, February is off to a great start.  One of the great beauties of living on a mountain and skiing every day is just how different every day can be.  

After Tuesday's powder day, Weds. was a combination of groomed powder.  (The groomer broke the crust left by the freezing rain.)  As the day warmed up, the ungroomed started to ski well as a combination of spring snow plus soft chop.  The natural-mogul lovers will appreciate the run under the Rocket.

But today (Feb. 9), that's just history as the new storm has already started dumping.  About an inch is down and the forecasts are calling for 3" per hour snowfall rates meaning every run is a powder run!  Local forecasts are calling for more than a foot - although with our bad luck this year,  I suspect most of us will be pleased with a foot!  Stay tuned - and if you dare to drive - come on up!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    "After a lackluster January.."
    Compared to last season or on the average?
    edited February 10 Posts: 1,717
    ski_it said:

"After a lackluster January.."
    Compared to last season or on the average?

I'd say compared with an  average season.  While VT got a lot of good snow, we were almost snowless.  Machine made snow plus grooming made it tolerable, but the snowless January is why we had neither glades nor bumps all month. 

Feb. 9, 2017 - Thurs.

When the lifts opened this AM, it was dust-on-crust and not much fun. By 11AM, pretty much everything was skiing nicely, but especially the glades which are all pretty much protected from the wind. The only glade that I thought was particularly bad was Kuyper Belt. It would have been fine had it received even minimal care last summer

While there were short (less than half-minute) liftlines, it is most unusual to see a crowd of this magnitude on a non-holiday Thursday.

Nothing happening overnight to change condx, so tomorrow (Fri., Feb. 10) should be super also.