Crotched Mountain 2016-2017

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Feb. 10, 2017 - Fri.
    The wind scoured a lot of the exposed trails making them quite icy.

Hard to find untracked powder: even in the woods.  

Mogul run on UFO will require some extensive traffic to make it enjoyable.  One of the reasons I don't care for manufactured moguls.  I'm enjoying the glades so much, I haven't been  contributing to making the UFO's moguls great.

Weekend should be great.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Wow what a day at Crotched 2/11! Skied 10 runs in the glades and most had adequate cover but with the next dump they will be stellar. The trails are in excellent shape with all this natural cover so get over there and enjoy it while it is so good.
    Feb. 11, 2017 - Sat.

Nice seeing remski and taking a run together.  Remski: remind me: Is Hellyuns the path to Uranus or is that Popcorn.  I always get those two mixed up.  I agree: the glasdes were as good as I have seen them in a couple of years.

Today, there were 4 trails significantly restricted by various race courses.  On a normal weekend, this might be upsetting, but i didn't take a single run all day that was not predominantly s glades run.

Things will only improve as this snowy pattern continues.

Question:  When is a glade not a glade? 
    Answer: When it is groomed.

I was surprised to see Final Frontier groomed T2B.

• RemskiRemski advanced
    edited February 13 Posts: 251

Feb. 11, 2017 - Sat.

Nice seeing remski and taking a run together.  Remski: remind me: Is Hellyuns the path to Uranus or is that Popcorn.  I always get those two mixed up.  I agree: the glasdes were as good as I have seen them in a couple of years.

Today, there were 4 trails significantly restricted by various race courses.  On a normal weekend, this might be upsetting, but i didn't take a single run all day that was not predominantly s glades run.

Things will only improve as this snowy pattern continues.

Question:  When is a glade not a glade? 
    Answer: When it is groomed.

I was surprised to see Final Frontier groomed T2B.

Helleons is the one we skied.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    edited February 13 Posts: 281
    Had a great day at Crotched with my girls at the Really Big Race on Saturday. Superb conditions, cold, but good!
    Feb. 13, 2017 - Mon.

The snow report said 10".  I would have said more.  Regardless, the AM was with minimal wind, so it was a spectacular powder morning.  Even when the winds kicked in, the glades were pretty immune - and all skied well - although you had to work to find "Peace Pipe."

As the winds really kicked into high-gear, the Rocket was shut down and put a bit of a damper on a super day!

With more snow in the forecast and no above freezing temps, the foreseeable future looks like it's going to be great.
    edited February 16 Posts: 1,403
    Feb. 16, 2017
    Snow reports in my 40 years in the ski industry tend to reflect either the conditions at close of business the previous day or best guess of what is anticipated. This AM's Crotched Mtn. daily snow reports seem to reflect neither.

FYI: As of close of business the last two days:

Trails:
    - Pluto's Plunge is groomed on the west side with moguls on the east side
    - UFO is groomed on the east side and moguls on the west.
    - Equinox is groomed on the east side and ungroomed on the west
    - Magnitude is groomed on the west side and ungroomed on the east side.

New snow:
    - between close-of-business Feb. 15 and this AM is just under 2".

Terrain Parks:
    - I'm not much on terrain parks, but it appears that NCC-1701 is being rebuilt and was about half done by close-of-business yesterday.  
    - Both Lower Magnitude (aka: CM Terrain Park) and Zero-G appeared under-used and neglected, but not being a user, that's an uneducated observation.

All that being said, the skiing both on-trails and in-glades are excellent and the lift lines remain virtually non-existent.

• xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Foggy night last night for ARL but conditions were very good. Did some warm up laps on the bumps on UFO.
    They get better each week. Hopefully they are getting good use and CM management sees their value.

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Too busy skiing of late at the Crotch to comment much. Basically I am getting as much vertical daily as my legs can handle...  20,000, 30,000, 40,000+ feet vertical daily while taking time out for turns in the top shack for my patrol duties.

Joshua told most of the details a few days ago but with enough snow for the first time in 2 years nice surprises like extra pieces of trail that don't appear on trail maps getting groomed. Over the last few days the Final Frontier Glade got groomed making it into a 'Fun Park' with lots of angles, pitches & fall lines to zip thru. The main pitch of Solstice Glade was groomed as well fixing some boniness and preparing it for more snow.

All the regular trails remain hero snow with more powder base than we have seen in a while.   

Feb. 17, 2017 - Fri.
    What I can add to what nelsbeer said:
    With everything open (including all the stuff off the trail map), the mountain is skiing much bigger than it does when the glades aren't open.  Each run seemed like there were too many great options to choose

For those waiting for moguls, we have them in multiple sizes:
    - UFO/Equinox (west side) has several very nice lines
    - Jupiter Storm (east side) has several very nice lines
    - Pluto's (east side) - nice place to show off
    - For those looking for less challenging bumps or just to learn, the east side of Magnitude (including CM Park) are nice

Glades continue to be awesome
    - The notable bony exceptions:
    West Ledges below the cutoff back to Popcorn
    Kuiper Belt

To those of you who want to find something to complain about: If an area is so wide open that you can run a groomer through it, why call it a glade?  It took Killington 40 years to rename the treeless East and West Glades on what is now called the North Ridge,  so I suppose Crotched has 30 more years to figure out that Final Frontier and the Solstice Glade Trail (not to be confused with the Solstice Glade Glade) are trails.  While I was disappointed that these two were groomed, there is a cutoff of the Enchanted Forest that skis very much like the ungroomed version of Solstice Glade Trail.

This should be a spectacular weekend at CM and the lines will be shorter here than most anyone else.
    Feb. 22, 2017 - Weds.
    Beautiful day here today and with a similar forecast for tomorrow, we have reason to hope for similar.

To those of you who have been yelling, "Give us moguls", there are moguls on UFO/Equinox, Jupiter Storm and Pluto's.  All were skiing very nicely today.  

The rest of the mountain is in great shape.  

Glades are getting thin, but Dark Star, Solstice and Final Frontier plus its cuts and chutes are still holding up to the warm weather.
    edited February 25 Posts: 1,403
    Feb.  25,  2017 - Sat.
    Given the weather + the forecast, be aware that CM will be closing at 5PM today.

BTW, the season is by no means over and the current plan is to make snow on Sunday night.
    Feb. 28, 2017 - Tues.
    The base is still holding up.  UFO/Equinox moguls are still skiing nicely.

The bump line under the Rocket is done for now and as significant bare spots appeared in the troughs on Jupiter, that was groomed out.

All things not called "glade" are still open - and if we could just get back to normal temps...

That being said, it remains pleasant skiing.
    Mar. 2, 2017 - Thurs.
    Sad to say that the UFO/Equinox bumps were groomed out. 

Wind holds limited skiing to the Valley.  Pretty noisy snow,  but it's still skiing!

It's already below freezing and our best hopes are for some good snowmaking wx.
    edited March 3 Posts: 1,403
    Update: CM closed today, 3/2 a bit before 1 PM.  

Wind and lack of customers made it a smart decision.

CM will be closed 3/3, hopefully to make lots of snow for the weekend.
    (Corrected as per ski_it's comment below.)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited March 3 Posts: 1,368
    Umm JS I know you are retired but today is 3/2. Actually I take that back. I'm sorry I don't know if you are retired.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Umm JS I know you are retired but today is 3/2. Actually I take that back. I'm sorry I don't know if you are retired.

I fixed it - and yes, I am retired.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Joshua - for some reason I am getting a notification in red every time someone posts on this thread.
    Can it be corrected? Please
    edited March 3 Posts: 1,403
    ciscokid said:

Joshua - for some reason I am getting a notification in red every time someone posts on this thread.

No idea.  I suggest a PM to admin.  I'm just a moderator.  Don't know anything about the technical.

Note the snow report on the CM web site is now saying for 3/3::

We're going to attempt to re-open for a afternoon/night skiing session tomorrow, but that'll depend on our ability to solve the problem and will be communicated ASAP. 

ciscokid said:

No idea.  I suggest a PM to admin.  I'm just a moderator.  Don't know anything about the technical.

We're going to attempt to re-open for a afternoon/night skiing session tomorrow, but that'll depend on our ability to solve the problem and will be communicated ASAP. 

What is the mechanical issue that they reference?
    - Sam
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced

Lodge is flooded out.
  • lysikjakelysikjake intermediate
    I bet I know where it happened! In radicals somewhere! Always got wet in that corner!

ciscokid said:

Just curious: From where did you hear that or is that just a logical supposition? 
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Which trails is CM making snow on out of curiosity? The snow report lists 8 trails but doesn't list which ones they are

ciscokid said:

Just curious: From where did you hear that or is that just a logical supposition? 

That's what it says on their website.
    - Sam
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    The mechanical problem is nothing spectacular. A simple breakdown in the building's water supply made it necessary to shut down & drain the system to make a repair. This affected kitchen & restroom causing the shutdown.

The good news is that with lifts, lights & lodge off line there was a lot more power for SNOWMAKING! ... which is really what it is all about anyway. Should be great tonight & tomorrow.

They did do a full groom yesterday, double groom in places, before they shut down. The stuff they pushed out was cold & firm due to the wind sucking moisture out, The new snow will have a good base & should hold up well.
    Mar. 8, 2017 - Weds.
    Skiing today was still pretty good.

However, 

1. CM has removed the non-fixed snowguns from the hill. Snow making is over. 
    2. Moguls were plowed under last week. Snow was breaking through to dirt. As much as I hated losing them, it was the right thing. 
    3. Unless there is significant fresh snow courtesy of mother nature, the following are done for the season:
    - Jupiter Storm, Blastoff, Retro, Comet Drop (above where Shooting Star crosses it), Big Dipper and anything with the name "glade" in it. 
    4. The quality of the skiing especially in the AM, really depends on the groomer. The last week has been good.  

So, if you want cruising and no lines, CM is still the place.

That being said, I'm not sure from where they are pushing snow to keep the top of Super Nova and Velocity going.  I don't see any nearby tappable whales.

I'm 90% sure CM will make it through this weekend - and last year, which was much worse than this year, they were able to find enough snow to stay open through the the 3rd weekend of March, so I'm think there is a good shot at the 3rd weekend.  However, without help from mother nature (and I see none in the forecast), I'm thinking that the 10th might well be the last day of weekday ops.  I hope I'm wrong!
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    Good info Joshua!   Tonight (Wednesday, March 8) was really great!   Things firmed up around 7pm which is when I left.   Nice spring riding!!!!!     
  • tededetedede advanced
    edited March 10 Posts: 102

Apparently there was a change of heart according to their facebook page and snow report.
    tedede said:

Apparently there was a change of heart according to their facebook page and snow report.
    You've got to admit: Pulling the guns off the hill would give most sane people reason to believe snowmaking is done for the season, (even if it wasn't the 2nd weekend in March!)