Crotched Mountain 2016-2017

1235»

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Feb. 10, 2017 - Fri.
    The wind scoured a lot of the exposed trails making them quite icy.

Hard to find untracked powder: even in the woods.  

Mogul run on UFO will require some extensive traffic to make it enjoyable.  One of the reasons I don't care for manufactured moguls.  I'm enjoying the glades so much, I haven't been  contributing to making the UFO's moguls great.

Weekend should be great.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Wow what a day at Crotched 2/11! Skied 10 runs in the glades and most had adequate cover but with the next dump they will be stellar. The trails are in excellent shape with all this natural cover so get over there and enjoy it while it is so good.
    Feb. 11, 2017 - Sat.

Nice seeing remski and taking a run together.  Remski: remind me: Is Hellyuns the path to Uranus or is that Popcorn.  I always get those two mixed up.  I agree: the glasdes were as good as I have seen them in a couple of years.

Today, there were 4 trails significantly restricted by various race courses.  On a normal weekend, this might be upsetting, but i didn't take a single run all day that was not predominantly s glades run.

Things will only improve as this snowy pattern continues.

Question:  When is a glade not a glade? 
    Answer: When it is groomed.

I was surprised to see Final Frontier groomed T2B.

• RemskiRemski advanced
    edited February 13 Posts: 238

Feb. 11, 2017 - Sat.

Nice seeing remski and taking a run together.  Remski: remind me: Is Hellyuns the path to Uranus or is that Popcorn.  I always get those two mixed up.  I agree: the glasdes were as good as I have seen them in a couple of years.

Today, there were 4 trails significantly restricted by various race courses.  On a normal weekend, this might be upsetting, but i didn't take a single run all day that was not predominantly s glades run.

Things will only improve as this snowy pattern continues.

Question:  When is a glade not a glade? 
    Answer: When it is groomed.

I was surprised to see Final Frontier groomed T2B.

Helleons is the one we skied.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    edited February 13 Posts: 264
    Had a great day at Crotched with my girls at the Really Big Race on Saturday. Superb conditions, cold, but good!
    Feb. 13, 2017 - Mon.

The snow report said 10".  I would have said more.  Regardless, the AM was with minimal wind, so it was a spectacular powder morning.  Even when the winds kicked in, the glades were pretty immune - and all skied well - although you had to work to find "Peace Pipe."

As the winds really kicked into high-gear, the Rocket was shut down and put a bit of a damper on a super day!

With more snow in the forecast and no above freezing temps, the foreseeable future looks like it's going to be great.
    edited February 16 Posts: 1,350
    Feb. 16, 2017
    Snow reports in my 40 years in the ski industry tend to reflect either the conditions at close of business the previous day or best guess of what is anticipated. This AM's Crotched Mtn. daily snow reports seem to reflect neither.

FYI: As of close of business the last two days:

Trails:
    - Pluto's Plunge is groomed on the west side with moguls on the east side
    - UFO is groomed on the east side and moguls on the west.
    - Equinox is groomed on the east side and ungroomed on the west
    - Magnitude is groomed on the west side and ungroomed on the east side.

New snow:
    - between close-of-business Feb. 15 and this AM is just under 2".

Terrain Parks:
    - I'm not much on terrain parks, but it appears that NCC-1701 is being rebuilt and was about half done by close-of-business yesterday.  
    - Both Lower Magnitude (aka: CM Terrain Park) and Zero-G appeared under-used and neglected, but not being a user, that's an uneducated observation.

All that being said, the skiing both on-trails and in-glades are excellent and the lift lines remain virtually non-existent.

• xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Foggy night last night for ARL but conditions were very good. Did some warm up laps on the bumps on UFO.
    They get better each week. Hopefully they are getting good use and CM management sees their value.

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Too busy skiing of late at the Crotch to comment much. Basically I am getting as much vertical daily as my legs can handle...  20,000, 30,000, 40,000+ feet vertical daily while taking time out for turns in the top shack for my patrol duties.

Joshua told most of the details a few days ago but with enough snow for the first time in 2 years nice surprises like extra pieces of trail that don't appear on trail maps getting groomed. Over the last few days the Final Frontier Glade got groomed making it into a 'Fun Park' with lots of angles, pitches & fall lines to zip thru. The main pitch of Solstice Glade was groomed as well fixing some boniness and preparing it for more snow.

All the regular trails remain hero snow with more powder base than we have seen in a while.   

Feb. 17, 2017 - Fri.
    What I can add to what nelsbeer said:
    With everything open (including all the stuff off the trail map), the mountain is skiing much bigger than it does when the glades aren't open.  Each run seemed like there were too many great options to choose

For those waiting for moguls, we have them in multiple sizes:
    - UFO/Equinox (west side) has several very nice lines
    - Jupiter Storm (east side) has several very nice lines
    - Pluto's (east side) - nice place to show off
    - For those looking for less challenging bumps or just to learn, the east side of Magnitude (including CM Park) are nice

Glades continue to be awesome
    - The notable bony exceptions:
    West Ledges below the cutoff back to Popcorn
    Kuiper Belt

To those of you who want to find something to complain about: If an area is so wide open that you can run a groomer through it, why call it a glade?  It took Killington 40 years to rename the treeless East and West Glades on what is now called the North Ridge,  so I suppose Crotched has 30 more years to figure out that Final Frontier and the Solstice Glade Trail (not to be confused with the Solstice Glade Glade) are trails.  While I was disappointed that these two were groomed, there is a cutoff of the Enchanted Forest that skis very much like the ungroomed version of Solstice Glade Trail.

This should be a spectacular weekend at CM and the lines will be shorter here than most anyone else.