Crotched Mountain 2016-2017

1234568»

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Apr. 16, 2017 - Sun.

Pretty scary how much snow was lost since Friday.  Satellite Summit may still be continuous from the top.  Neither Moon Walk nor Lower Blastoff (aka, Upper Pluto's) was.  I quit climbing when I ran out of snow on Lower Blastoff.  Pluto's is still T2B.  Some minimal walking is required on Magnitude and Meteor.

The water hole to the west of the Rocket that gets filled in with snow during the season, was about half full as the drain/outflow could not quite keep up with the inflow.  Lots of water coming off the hill.

To Quietman: If you want to earn some turns, don't wait too long!

I saw a hiker, but no other skiers/riders.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Somebody shutdown the cam so now we can't see what's left to earn turns on. Oh well.
    Remski said:

Somebody shutdown the cam so now we can't see what's left to earn turns on. Oh well.

As of yesterday, you would be hard pressed to find more than 300 continuous vertical feet without "some walking required". The quantity of snow that melted between Friday, the 14th and yesterday can only be categorized as epic.

• QuietmanQuietman novice

Apr. 16, 2017 - Sun.

To Quietman: If you want to earn some turns, don't wait too long!

I waited too long. Drove by this afternoon and didn't bother getting out of the car. Oh well, it was a fun spring!!
    edited May 2 Posts: 1,801
    May 2, 2017 -  Tues.
    Almost no snow is left on the mountain.  A few of the larger features on Lower Park (lower Magnitude) will last to pretty near the end of May.

My 2016-7 CM Season in review:
    First hike: Nov. .26
    First lift serviced: Dec. 10
    Last lift serviced: Mar. 25
    Last hike: Apr. 16
    Total days: 99; Lift serviced: 90; Earned turns: 9
    Total vertical: 1,750,000 feet

A season of extremes: Dec. - good; Jan. - poor; late Jan. to Presidents Day - Excellent; Presidents Day thru first week in March - downright ugly; 2nd week of March to end of season - One of the best ever.

I hope all of our CM readers on SJ enjoyed the season as much as I did - and we'll do it again next winter!
    As of 5/13/2017, there were still a few small patches of snow on Lower Magnitude (aka, the Park) and at the top of the headwall toward the bottom of Velocity.
  • xwhalerxwhaler intermediate
    Any capital improvements happening at CM this off season by chance? Either in the lodge or out on the slopes?
    CM will be our home mtn next yr
    edited May 15 Posts: 1,801
    Nelsbeer tends to follow this more closely than I do, but as far as I know, the only plans for the summer are in the category of "routine maintenance."  

This in itself is neither trivial nor cheap.  A look at the industry shows a lot of areas in a serious states of "deferred maintenance" and doing only the minimum necessary over the summer to pass the necessary inspections so that they can open!

To xwhaler: Welcome to our group of SJers who are also CM regulars. 
  • thebigothebigo novice
    Will also be our home mountain next year. Not that I am advocating for it but surprised CM has not put more of the glades on the map. Lets them claim something new with almost no cost and in some cases the off map stuff is in better shape than on map.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    From what I have heard nothing too fancy is happening at Crotched this summer. Peak does have more $$$ available with the Mt. Snow EB-5 situation straightened out; Crotched will be getting a share for needed maintenance & possibly some rearrangement of the base lodge downstairs (mostly rumor to date).

Regulars may notice the effect of completion of an effort to upgrade the Rocket's (HSQ) grips to make them more resistant to ice & moisture. Fingers crossed for quicker morning start-ups & more consistent rides in miserable weather next season.

Many of the SMI Polecat Snow Guns will be getting scheduled maintenance. All the sand in the water blown through the nozzles over the years have distorted them; 18 nozzles have to be replaced on the regular guns and 24 on the Super Polecats. The result should be better snow/skiing next season on many trails.

No new trails that I have heard about, but they will be continuing efforts to cut back overgrowth on mapped trail edges. The glades tend to get TLC from volunteer crews. Since the crews swap around the conditions vary from season to season on a given glade. Probably better to rely on word of mouth than to publish them all.

The big question, which I haven't seen mentioned, is Peak's commitment to growth through acquisition. Great time to speculate what additional areas might get added to the Peak Passes!

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 16 Posts: 1,737

Total days: 99; Lift serviced: 90;

I hope all of our CM readers on SJ enjoyed the season as much as I did - and we'll do it again next winter!

Wow I still don't know how anyone does those that, especially East Coast. Makes my knees hurt just thinking about it.
    I/we really enjoyed our time at CM this season. It was the most I skied at any one resort in a long, long time. Only a piddling eleven times though. I should probably reread my TRs but I do not recall one issue there except for the Rocket being down on a late season powder day due to icing (although we didn't believe it at the time, I did later).
    For those of you who think BORING, well yeah it's a smaller place, it doesn't have the steeps and bumps, of let's say Killington, or terrain to get lost in, but what do you expect out of 875' vertical?
    And I haven't tried 99% of the multitude of glades that Joshua & Remski have posted about. It's against my doctors orders is my excuse.
    Why don't they put all these glades on the map you ask? IMHO it's a triple edge sword. If they are on the trail list and not open in a poor snow year it can look bad on the snow report. 23 out of 25 looks so much better than 23 out 40.
    Lastly the lodge. Not sure why people have a problem with it. I've seen way worse. Sure it's a boxy high school lunch room design but at the busiest times this year I found always found a space. At least you can walk over from your car on level ground unlike WV, most of Sunapee and many others.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Total days: 99; Lift serviced: 90;

For those of you who think BORING, well yeah it's a smaller place, it doesn't have the steeps and bumps, of let's say Killington, or terrain to get lost in, but what do you expect out of 875' vertical?
    And I haven't tried 99% of the multitude of glades that Joshua & Remski have posted about. It's against my doctors orders is my excuse.
    Why don't they put all these glades on the map you ask? IMHO it's a triple edge sword. If they are on the trail list and not open in a poor snow year it can look bad on the snow report. 23 out of 25 looks so much better than 23 out 40.
    Lastly the lodge. Not sure why people have a problem with it. I've seen way worse. Sure it's a boxy high school lunch room design but at the busiest times this year I found always found a space. At least you can walk over from your car on level ground unlike WV, most of Sunapee and many others.

Re the lodge: It may be ugly, but it is incredibly well-designed functionally.
    1. The steps are extra wide making them much easier and safer to negotiate with ski boots on.
    2.  Restrooms are spaciously designed so that one is not tripping over patrons to get to "a facility". 
    3.  Quantity of "facilities" within the rest room is appropriate for the crowd.
    (I can't say that any of the above is true for the Main Lodge at Killington's base..)
    4.  The entrance area has plenty of room for people to stand comfortably indoors while waiting to buy a ticket.
    5. Parking access to the lodge is one of the best in the industry.  The entrance is on grade with the parking lot and except for a dozen super busy days during the season, parking is close to the lodge and even adequately ample that the management doesn't require that employees park in a remote parking area.

As to glades and trail count: CM's trail count is trails + parks.  It does not include any of the glades that are included on the trail map.  (A number of areas, including Ragged, do not include glades in their trail count.)

Now regarding the "meager vertical".
    1. If you're not going top-to-bottom non-stop, there's plenty of vertical!
    2. Many people going to larger places, spend their entire day on a lift pod that serves only around 1K vertical.  (e'g. Northface at Mt. Snow, most of the lift pods at Killington including all of Snowden, the North Ridge and most of the Skye Peak lift pods.
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Having a HSQ with little or no line most of the time reduces the noticeable effect of vertical height. When the Rocket was added typical runs per hour went from 6 to 10 as lift ride time went from 7 to 4 minutes. With 6 out of 7days per week being 12 hours the major limit on how much vertical you can get in is your legs & snow conditions. 30-40,000 vertical is doable on weekends. One of the snowboard instructors actually got in a 100,000' weekday, not a lot of places you can do that.    

• ski_itski_it expert

Very true, we did like 13.5-22k probably averaged 17k without pushing it. We did 19.3k on opening day and the 22 in under 4 hours.

There must be a reason I keep going back there...I know it's the Rocket Fuel!!

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA