Outside Magazine article: Is Your Local Chairlift a Death Trap

rickbolgerrickbolger expert
edited October 2016 in Operations/Management Posts: 1,011
I have a feeling this is going to go through the trade like wildfire...

Our nation's lifts are at the breaking point. We spent months researching past accidents and aging infrastructure—and found that it's time to act in order to avoid catastrophic failure.

Comments

Wow, what a great way to make skiers feel safe...
    - Sam
  • slathamslatham advanced
    I had no idea that Vermont was one of the few states with full time lift inspectors.  Very surprised and disappointed. I hope everyone is on top of their game regarding lifts.
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate
    Ski Area Management's online site has a great response to this article, for anyone who is interested. 
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

Ski Area Management's online site has a great response to this article, for anyone who is interested. 

This: Link?
    mtsnow123 said:

Much better, I'm glad they responded with a more reasonable write up.
    - Sam
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

mtsnow123 said:

Much better, I'm glad they responded with a more reasonable write up.
    Only issue is that for the people that read Outside,probably have never heard of SAM
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Thought the title of this thread was an ad for the 1978 movie: Ski Lift to Death.

But seriously, old lifts are a problem when there are significant deferred maintenance issues.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

Thought the title of this thread was an ad for the 1978 movie: Ski Lift to Death.

But seriously, old lifts are a problem when there are significant deferred maintenance issues.
    Hey isn't that the Lake Louise Von roll gondy movie?

And Joshua it was Temple mountain Whitehorn before LL( I know Templehas a special place in your heart)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    ciscokid said:

Hey isn't that the Lake Louise Von roll goody
    I mentioned that on the 9/1 post..
    http://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/823/lake-louise-alberta-8-16-2016-ciscokid#latest

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    The pendulum swings!  Publication says sky is falling, implies more government action needed, while the voice of the industry says all is well, industry polices itself. 

Obviously when Outside mentions that poor woman who fell at Hunter (no fault of the lift) they're trying to make it as sensational as they can.   As for the resorts, I bet some are putting together quality assurance/safety practices responses as a result, listing all the standards and whatnot while knowing full well they have a few uncertainties lurking.

Comments section in SAM has an interesting reply, apparently from someone in maintenance called "sheave dust" well worth reading

Personally, I don't worry about lifts, I've ridden plenty of clunkers in 45 years.  But, if I am on a lift that makes odd sounds and bumps, jumps, stalls etc. or if a guy goes up and down the ladder while the lift shuts down,  I tend to avoid it for the rest of the day.