Tenney Mountain 2016-2017

ski_itski_it expert
edited October 2016 in The Pit Posts: 1,651
Last season SJ saw many, many, many hopeful posts of their opening but nothing this season. So what are the chances this season?
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• mapnutmapnut expert
    Five posts on Facebook in the past week, mostly about pipe repairs. Nothing about opening.
  • obienickobienick expert
    They have announced they are 99% confident on opening the Eclipse side with snowmaking and less confident about snowmaking over on the Hornet side.

For those in the biz who have seen these videos, how often do these bulged-out 5-foot-long splits occur? Mike has alluded to that there hasn't been snowmaking on that side in years. Are thae from abandonment or from negligent operation? Are these the types of breaks Magic has been facing?
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    obienick said:

They have announced they are 99% confident on opening the Eclipse side with snowmaking and less confident about snowmaking over on the Hornet side.

For those in the biz who have seen these videos, how often do these bulged-out 5-foot-long splits occur? Mike has alluded to that there hasn't been snowmaking on that side in years. Are thae from abandonment or from negligent operation? Are these the types of breaks Magic has been facing?

There hasn't been snowmaking in years because they haven't been open in years, lol. Tenney doesn't get enough natural snow to open much terrain much of the time without snowmaking (especially if they want to groom the snow out). I can't imagine Tenney being able to run Hornet without snowmaking so I also can't imagine snowmaking not being operational during their final years of operation. Even still, that is what... seven years of inactivity on top of already having a dated system in need of repair?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 853
    He was referring to no snowmaking on Hornet side while the ski area was in operation.  I forget which video it was in, but he said the bottom third of the Hornet hadn't seen snowmaking in over 20 years.

In the description it says 18 years.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    The line that hasn't seen snowmaking was not on the Hornet side but one of the loops off the Eclipse side. I've never seen that many bad breaks in one line. Previous operators either left the line fully charged and it froze or they had a break at one time, didn't fix it, and water got in and filled the pipe up and it kept cracking.
    I'm glad they are so dedicated to getting the mountain back up and operating again!
    - Sam
    The line that hasn't seen snowmaking was not on the Hornet side but one of the loops off the Eclipse side. 
    That's not what they're saying.  Nearly all their work this summer has been lower Hornet.
    For the past 7 weeks we have had teams repairing snow making infrastructure on the Hornet side of the mountain and in the pump house.

This tear is by far the largest to date... But quickest to fix... William got this large patch in place in under 5 hours...
    We are half way up the lower loop and know of only two more splits. I was recently told that this loop hasn't been functional in over 18 years... Love to know the story behind this if anyone could share. 
    Maybe it was just a specific section of pipe on certain trails? 
    I heard that the Eclipse side is ready to go and they will be testing snow guns within the next few days!
    - Sam
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Hope they operate this year,
    I have an invite to my brothers Ashland/ Plymouth NH timeshare and would love to do NH again but I think Bohemia is going to win out.( with the infamous IBrake!)
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    riverc0il said:

Tenney doesn't get enough natural snow to open much terrain much of the time without snowmaking (especially if they want to groom the snow out).

First off, agree 100%++. And, having experienced it one time when it was firing on all cylinders, I have to say seek it out if the stars ever align again.

I waited years to ski at Tenney (they seldom had much open) and when I finally did it was like catching lightning in a bottle, we were just super lucky that we drove in the morning after a snow storm. They had all sorts of little connectors and whatnot opened and a lot of them groomed. It was fabulous, but even as I was skiing it I knew that it was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for me because of the travel distance and infrequency of such conditions.

I think this was February 2008, not sure, that's the photo date embedded in the file. It was probably the 15th or 16th.

If these photos look vaguely familiar, it's because I probably posted them on the old SJimageimageimage
    tenney1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 695K
    tenney2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 551K
    tenney4.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 675K
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    rickbolger - I had a similar experience.  I was kind of bored at first and then I ventured to the advanced trails to the left of Hornet and was blown away.  Also, the advanced trails and glades above the Eclipse chair are must.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Thanks for re kindling my lattice love Rick
    obienick said:

The line that hasn't seen snowmaking was not on the Hornet side but one of the loops off the Eclipse side. 
    That's not what they're saying.  Nearly all their work this summer has been lower Hornet.
    For the past 7 weeks we have had teams repairing snow making infrastructure on the Hornet side of the mountain and in the pump house.

This tear is by far the largest to date... But quickest to fix... William got this large patch in place in under 5 hours...
    We are half way up the lower loop and know of only two more splits. I was recently told that this loop hasn't been functional in over 18 years... Love to know the story behind this if anyone could share. 
    You are correct that's my fault. I was thinking the line that comes off the Lower Eclipse main around tower 3 on the left.

rickbolger - I had a similar experience.  I was kind of bored at first and then I ventured to the advanced trails to the left of Hornet and was blown away.  Also, the advanced trails and glades above the Eclipse chair are must.

Hey that's great!  No glades for me however.

Almost forgot...day I was there, a local Girl Scout troop was selling cookies in the lodge.  Doesn't get much better than that!

I heard that the Eclipse side is ready to go and they will be testing snow guns within the next few days!

Just the water side, no compressors yet and air lines hasn't been tested.
    - Sam
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    WTF is a tree gun?  Unwise.
  • bobbuttsbobbutts intermediate
    Hate to be mean, but when are these guys going to run out of money or get tired of pretending to run a ski area?  Show me top to bottom operation and a plan to put in a faster lift to replace Hornet and I'll start believing.  The results so far show that enthusiasm is no substitute for competence.
    Buy a ski area with your own cash and then you can do with it as you please.
    Have you been following their progress updates and future plans? They aren't opening the mountain until they are sure that it will be fully functional, at least in one pod. Future plans first call for snowmaking expansion, then possibly a new summit lift. They aren't trying to get ahead of themselves like some places do. I think their work should be a model for future ski area reopenings.
    - Sam
    Wow, what's with the hate?  Have you not seen the amount they've accomplished the past 18 months or so?  They are only a real ski area if they have a high speed quad, else it's some guys with a hobby?  You serious? So Smuggs, Bolton, Mad River Glen, Magic, and Saddleback and all other places without a HSQ aren't the real deal? You do realize a HSQ is $6M while they can just spend a few thousand on bringing these back to life, right?

Old air hogs mounted by old management up in trees.  A lot of ski areas tinkered with making their own tower guns (to improve production and efficiency) in the 80s.  They found them when they cleared the trails.  If you look carefully, you can see the tree growing around the horizontal support indicating it's been there a long time.
    obienick said:

Old air hogs mounted by old management up in trees.  A lot of ski areas tinkered with making their own tower guns (to improve production and efficiency) in the 80s.  They found them when they cleared the trails.  If you look carefully, you can see the tree growing around the horizontal support indicating it's been there a long time.
    A post on their Facebook page doesn't state the manufacture, but says they were not homemade. Similar tree mounted guns can be found at Lost Valley.
    - Sam
    Someone had to make the gun itself, yes, but I'd bet the mounting is a homemade bodge job.
    obienick said:

Someone had to make the gun itself, yes, but I'd bet the mounting is a homemade bodge job.

That would make sense.
    - Sam
    obienick said:

Wow, what's with the hate?  Have you not seen the amount they've accomplished the past 18 months or so?  They are only a real ski area if they have a high speed quad, else it's some guys with a hobby?  You serious? So Smuggs, Bolton, Mad River Glen, Magic, and Saddleback and all other places without a HSQ aren't the real deal? You do realize a HSQ is $6M while they can just spend a few thousand on bringing these back to life, right?

The only hate is that being directed towards folks calling a spade a spade. bobbutts made a great point. 18 months without opening and only plans to spin the triple this season (they ain't going to get enough natural for the double, the place just doesn't get much snow) seems not great considering the social media hype. 

That is fine but I think it is legit commentary to note that they have spent a LOT of time hyping the area and the work they have done without having anything to practically show for it yet. They over promised and under delivered on operations last season. Opening the triple last season would have been a solid accomplishment. Not having the summit double open going into their second season of fixes seems odd. 

The area definitely doesn't need a HSQ. I'll count Smuggs and MRG as to of my top three favorite areas, so I "get it" when it comes to areas with all fixed grips. But they need to get the place open top to bottom and think long and hard about how to replace that double. Doesn't have to be a high speed lift, fixed grip with a carpet has done wonders for many areas.
    I have my reservations about the development but over promised and under delivered to whom? It's been a best effort attempt at re-opening from the start. They haven't taken any customer money. Who has he unimpressed except some armchair ski area operators on the Internet?

Like I said, his money, he can do what he wants and go at his own pace. Doesn't effect anyone else.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,061
    Not to speak for rivercOil --  a little perspective, I recall Riv did or has been living/working Plymouth area?  Would explain his POV, I don't think it's hate at all, just passionate, and I imagine locals are exposed to a lot more publicity and hype than the rest of us, so expectations tend to be higher simply because of proximity.  
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier intermediate
    I'm not worried. I'd rather they keep on with the thoughtful in-depth study on the repairs they are undertaking. Do it right the first time, not half-assed, so you don't have to go back and fix it AGAIN any time soon.

I'm sure another item, that they don't talk about quite as publicly, is that they are probably waiting to see how that lawsuit they are involved in turns out. That may A LOT more to do with it than any of us realize.

They've covered a ton of work in the past couple years. It doesn't happen overnight, but I'm willing to bet a round at the bar, that we'll all have the opportunity to ski there this winter, as long a Mother Nature decides to co-ooperate this winter.
    ;)