Tenney Mountain 2017-2018

Comments

• newmannewman advanced
    You will be skiing Cannon M-F free soon.

• newmannewman advanced
    Whats that about?
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    idunno, but, this thread got creepy.....
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Reminds me of Magic threads of yore
  • ski_itski_it expert
    newman said:

Whats that about?

WAG they mean it will be closed and you'll be earning ur turns. iDK
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • SquamSquam novice
    Age 65 plus resident of NH skis free @ Cannon, M-F. Mystery solved. Any other questions about the skiing universe?
  • SquamSquam novice
    Mike confirmed on Tenney Facebook, my earlier "closed for the season" comment. Legal issues and lack of funding from potential South American investors crippled management plans.
  • 8ntslo8ntslo novice
    No money at Tenney but lots of BS.
    8ntslo said:

No money at Tenney but lots of BS.

What's that supposed to mean?
    - Sam
  • obienickobienick expert
    Troll account. Note the one post.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Troll account. Note the one post.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Now what? I don't see opening this late in a season. Anyone heard anything more?
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Unfortunately I think it's time to stick a fork in it
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Very unfortunate they couldn't open this year. Very big snow year in this region. Either the most or second most base depth in ten years that I've had at my house just a bit southeast of Tenney. 
  • SquamSquam novice
    Recent massive storm damage to trails and infrastructure will delay Tenney opening until 2018. Negative cash flow will severely restrict their 2018 operations to weekends only.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Those folks can't seem to catch a break.
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier advanced
    Squam said:

Recent massive storm damage to trails and infrastructure will delay Tenney opening until 2018. Negative cash flow will severely restrict their 2018 operations to weekends only.

Friday thru Monday they are saying.
    Where is the information posted? 2018 as in later this season? Or next season?
    - Sam
    This
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 12 Posts: 1,795
    Doesn't say anything like that on their FB or weird web page. But it doesn't say much of anything about the upcoming season that I can find on this here intraweb. So no news is most likely bad news. It's not the way I'd expect to see a Grand Re Opening done.
    You have to read thru the posted comments of people, to see their replies. And I don't believe that is their website. It was there last winter too, and they never said anything about it being theirs.
    Read the "Visitors Posts" from the right hand column top on their FB page.
  • ski_itski_it expert

Yes I guess you are right. IDK who's FB page that is or who's this site belongs to either http://www.tenneymtn.com/

Neither site looks like a site of ski resort about to open for the season.

• SquamSquam novice
    Tenney can't be sustained by the 47 locals who pledge their support. No revenue from ski school, rentals or day care combined with discounted tickets , limited daily operation , very marginal snow making and no season pass income spells DISASTER in capital letters. With the recent major improvements at Waterville, Loon and Cannon/Mittersill , Tenney management is on a fools errand.
  • 4aprice4aprice intermediate
    Squam said:

Tenney can't be sustained by the 47 locals who pledge their support. No revenue from ski school, rentals or day care combined with discounted tickets , limited daily operation , very marginal snow making and no season pass income spells DISASTER in capital letters. With the recent major improvements at Waterville, Loon and Cannon/Mittersill , Tenney management is on a fools errand.

I think Tenney would be wise to get on board with the likes of Magic, Black (NH) and others on the Freedom Pass.  I believe there is a place for these areas and if they can somehow keep the costs reasonable as a nice alternative to the larger resorts.  Freedom Pass is on my radar for sure and if I get one and Tenney was on board I would certainly pay a visit.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • bobbuttsbobbutts advanced
    What they really need is to be viable to be competitive in the day trip and destination market.  It's not clear how possible that would be even with a significant budget.  I don't see any effort being made to that end.  If they manage to get a bare bones operation running with this current effort I am afraid that it won't get the results they'll need to maintain it.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Two seasons ago  SJ saw many, many, many hopeful posts of their opening but nothing this season. So what are the chances this season?
  • SquamSquam novice
    The possibility of Tenney opening in 2017 is 0%. No meaningful snow is forecast for December, their snowmaking is totally inadequate and they really have no staff on site. The absence of a Tenney Mtn. web site and a self promoting Facebook site with several amateur smart phone videos is evidence of their incompetence.

• riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    It certainly doesn't look very good from an operations perspective. But does the owner even care? Wasn't the original intent of the owner purchasing Tenney not to reopen the area? 

Squam, what is your deal in this? I seem to remember from last year that you had some sort of connection to Tenney, no?

Wasn't there some sort of legal issue that prevented Tenney from opening last year? Shame that they couldn't open in such a massive natural snow year for the area. Tenney doesn't get much natural snow and last year would have been a banner natural snow year for them had they opened.
  • SquamSquam novice
    I simply expose the financial realities of a capital intensive , seasonal, weather dependent business model as viewed by an MBA educated financier steeped in ski area management practices. Additionally I carry a certified Professional Skier Union Card. I read too many comments from under educated , under informed amateur skiers to remain silent. This is a teaching moment for me which hopefully brings clarity to the Tenney mess.