Tenney Mountain 2017-2018

124»

Comments

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    "Mike at Tenney" aka Sir Michael has been pursuing this as a low key project, learning as he has been going. He can apparently afford to do what he has been attempting, unlike other entrepreneurs in the area he has not touted EB-5 and grand hotels in the immediate future. He has a presentable lodge, parking lots, cleared slopes and working lifts. Delivering a fairly genuine 1970's (pre to limited snowmaking) experience might be feasible with a little help from mother nature. He's not going to get rich from it but he may learn his next steps.. and we may get a few days of old school skiing.  
  • flbskiflbski intermediate
    Which reminds me of a comment a bank president said when applying for a LOC for a ski retail business, "why should I lend money for a seasonal, weather dependent, economy dependent, labor intensive business with a negative growth trend"......."because you're a nice guy, love skiing, and you were on the Norwegian Nat'l x-c team in 1970".......I got the LOC......
  • tededetedede advanced
    Squam said:

I simply expose the financial realities of a capital intensive , seasonal, weather dependent business model as viewed by an MBA educated financier steeped in ski area management practices. Additionally I carry a certified Professional Skier Union Card. I read too many comments from under educated , under informed amateur skiers to remain silent. This is a teaching moment for me which hopefully brings clarity to the Tenney mess.

Googling "Certified Professional Skier Union" reveals nothing. Curious how many of your other credentials would stand up to such scrutiny.  Seems like you've got an axe to grind.
  • newmannewman advanced
    There should be a card for the certified professional snowmakers union. I'd love to have one for my wallet.
  • CannonballCannonball advanced
    tedede said:

Squam said:

Googling "Certified Professional Skier Union" reveals nothing. Curious how many of your other credentials would stand up to such scrutiny.  Seems like you've got an axe to grind.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that it's not actually a thing.  But if Squam posts up a pic of his card I'd be happy to be proved wrong. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    tedede said:

Googling "Certified Professional Skier Union" reveals nothing.

Au contraire!

Like you I was compelled to google that, but I found this article, which is enlightening, and although it doesn't speak directly about the union, it includes bonus information on certified professional bowling.  

Best of all, I am now able to answer the article's opening question with a resounding YES!  

tedede said:

Googling "Certified Professional Skier Union" reveals nothing.

Au contraire!

Like you I was compelled to google that, but I found this article, which is enlightening, and although it doesn't speak directly about the union, it includes bonus information on certified professional bowling.  

Best of all, I am now able to answer the article's opening question with a resounding YES!  
    Haha.  I think we all know that there are professional skiers (and bowlers).  Bode Miller comes to mind, as do all of the ski instructors I know.   Still not convinced that anyone is part of Union of "Certified Professional Skiers".  
  • obienickobienick expert
    IIRC Squam was previously an anti-Tenny vocal during the legal proceedings, but pretty quiet in between. I too sense an axe to grind.
    obienick said:

IIRC Squam was previously an anti-Tenny vocal during the legal proceedings, but pretty quiet in between. I too sense an axe to grind.

It's hard to know. All 12 of his posts are in this thread. So he seems to have a very specific, and very intense interest in Tenney while not have much interest in any other New England ski related topic.

obienick said:

It's hard to know. All 12 of his posts are in this thread. So he seems to have a very specific, and very intense interest in Tenney while not have much interest in any other New England ski related topic.

And every post is something negative about Tenney without any real facts backing up claims.
    - Sam
    According to Facebook, there will be a major announcement within a couple of weeks...
    - Sam
  • SquamSquam novice
    The major announcement: Tenney will not be opening in 2017, meanwhile Cannon 14 trails, 4 lifts, top to bottom; Loon 16 trails top to bottom, Waterville 6 trails... These areas have 100% snowmaking and mountain experienced mountain staff. Wonderful that Aspen now owns Stratton and Stowe.
  • edited November 24 Posts: 2,056
    Squam said:

The major announcement: Tenney will not be opening in 2017, meanwhile Cannon 14 trails, 4 lifts, top to bottom; Loon 16 trails top to bottom, Waterville 6 trails... These areas have 100% snowmaking and mountain experienced mountain staff. Wonderful that Aspen now owns Stratton and Stowe.

What are you trying to accomplish? Mike and the team at Tenney has worked hard for over three years to return skiing to Tenney. Even if you don't think it will work, how does talking this way about Tenney help anyone? Most people would love to see them succeed, why don't you?
    - Sam
  • obienickobienick expert
    Aspen doesn't own Stowe.  What's your deal with your lies, Squam?  And why do you only post to this thread and always negative about Tenney?
  • SquamSquam novice
    Happy that Aspen owns Mt. Tremblant and Vail owns Stowe. Making sure you are paying attention!!!!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Squam said:

I was at Cannon today. They are doing a great job, but 14 trails is a marketing fantasy world. I'm looking at Loon as I write. They are also doing a great job but they do not have 16 top to bottom trails so I don't know where you got that from. Neither of them have 100% snowmaking. In fact I'm not sure of anyone who does (except maybe the mall in Dubai).

But why are we taking about these places in this thread anyway (not to mention Aspen and Stowe!!!)?? They are apples to elbows when it comes to comparisons with Tenney. I'm rooting for Tenney to succeed, but not because I'm expecting them to have better snowmaking, or grooming, or terrain than Cannon or Loon (or Aspen and Stowe). I'm expecting them to eventually offer what those places can't: a small, family vibe at lower cost.

You're probably right that Tenney will continue to struggle. I hope you're wrong. Either way, I don't understand how anyone can find so much joy in their struggles. I hope you got as much joy at wherever you skied today. Where was that by the way? And how was it?
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Squam might as well compare McIntrye to the likes of Cannon, Waterville, and Loon. The fact is Tenney isn't aiming to reopen as a major destination resort. It should more appropriately be compared to Big Squaw, Whaleback, and Ascutney which are previously lost areas that reopened as community areas with minimal infrastructure. Even when it was open, Tenney wasn't competing with Cannon, Waterville, and Loon but rather against other mid-sized areas like Pat's, Ragged, and Gunstock. 
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    edited November 25 Posts: 124
    Squam seems to be an anti-Tenney troll for whatever reason - was he the one who took advantage and was/is in the lawsuit AGAINST Mike@Tenney??????   If I ask the ski-magic-8-ball, "SIGNS POINT TO YES"

by the way, yes, today Cannon was EXCELLENT!!!!!
  • edited November 25 Posts: 2,056
    becca_m said:

Squam seems to be an anti-Tenney troll for whatever reason - was he the one who took advantage and was/is in the lawsuit AGAINST Mike@Tenney??????   If I ask the ski-magic-8-ball, "SIGNS POINT TO YES"

by the way, yes, today Cannon was EXCELLENT!!!!!

I would have thought so myself, but I'm pretty sure that guy is in jail now. Maybe they're buddies.
    - Sam
  • SquamSquam novice
    Any thoughts about skiing Tenney during Hanukkah, Christmas or Kwanzaa this year? Been out of country, so would love to hear about current conditions. Thanks for your help.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Go for it! Just bring your rock skis and skins or roller blades. They've gotten 4" in last 7 days and 5 total this season.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Squam said:

Any thoughts about skiing Tenney during Hanukkah, Christmas or Kwanzaa this year? Been out of country, so would love to hear about current conditions. Thanks for your help.

Shoulda stayed out