Killington 2016-7

Comments

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    It looks like snow making weather will return Sunday night and last a few days. Perhaps this will come just in time for Killington to make the rest of the snow they need on Superstar.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 451
    This week, but they aren't going to pull the plug. SS is largely done. 
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
     At what point do the WC people pull the plug on this?
    Judging by the FIS website this morning, they're still plugged in

• obienickobienick expert
    dcapbtls said:

I am surprised that I don't see more discussion about the race, race prep, snowmaking, etc.  Just saw on Killington website a groomer going up and down Superstar.....Does that mean they have enough snow?  Doesn't look like it.  At what point do the WC people pull the plug on this?

From what I've seen, they have enough already.  This was taken Friday (not by me) and there's a more up top as it's colder up there:image

Snow Control is Wednesday.  Killington will pass.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 726

Doesn't seem like it could be any worse than the Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Or Sochi, for that matter.

• ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 306
    dcapbtls said:

I am surprised that I don't see more discussion about the race, race prep, snowmaking, etc.  Just saw on Killington website a groomer going up and down Superstar.....Does that mean they have enough snow?  Doesn't look like it.  At what point do the WC people pull the plug on this?

dcapbtls said:

I have heard that this Wednesday is the decision day.  Race officials are scheduled to be on hand to decide the fate of the races.   While I am rooting for the races to go on, it won't break my heart if they are cancelled and I'm lapping SS next week!  (I don't know why this is showing as a quote?)

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Snow check by FIS is a week out from the event. It is going to be close. Looks like after this Sunday they have temps...but before that, zippo...
  • ME2VTskierME2VTskier intermediate
    "Doesn't look like it"? Lol! They said there was 18ft up on top.
  • slathamslatham intermediate

Upcoming races:

Men's race next Wed at Lake Louise, Women at Killington 11/26,  Men at Beaver Creek 11/29 and Women at Lake Louise on 11/29.

The only ski area open? Killington. LL delayed until this weekend. Beaver Creek is next Wednesday 23rd.

Between the snow on the ground and what they can make in short order on Monday- Wed there is no doubt in my mind that SS is well covered for training on Thur/Fri and racing on Sat/Sun. This warm rain may actually be beneficial - no need to inject water into base to make it boilerplate - it already will be!

• whygimfwhygimf novice
    At all WC events, no training is allowed on the race slope 5 days or less prior to the scheduled races.
    They have a video on instagram of some groomers pushing the snow around up high, it looks pretty darn impressive

Regret I don't know how to post a link to that
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    The Vermont Travel Club put it on Facebook.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 955
    Lake Louise was just cancelled
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,542
    Oh goody, additional VIP Killington WC tickets are on sale. I like how they are using Lindsay's pic on the ads. Reminds me how they use the big names in soccer friendly games posters/ads & 90% of the time they no show. Like Cristiano Ronaldo 
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • slathamslatham intermediate
    Besides the $350 price tag, who wants to watch from inside? If I go (and I hope to) I'm hoofing it up the side to watch.
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    They have a video on instagram of some groomers pushing the snow around up high, it looks pretty darn impressive

Regret I don't know how to post a link to that

So, make a $h!tload of snow up high and push it down. Guess it'll look nice, but worried about the soft ground beneath on the low section.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • obienickobienick expert
    They already had 2 feet of base at the bottom before they started moving snow around.
    Wild guess here, having just hiked up along and across that trail about a month ago, I'm thinking big issue is high road and the umpteen waterbars below high road, might explain why they need so much snow
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Nov. 28, 2016 - Monday
    I was pleasantly surprised at the quantity of natural snow terrain was open: Great Bear, West Glade (I think it's called upper Rim Run these days) and a few other things on Snowdon whose names escape me..  

Temps were comfortable.  The skiing was spectacular except for the constant roar of snowguns.  It did get a bit slick in the late PM when the guns were putting out an more water than snow

There was a lot of "take-down" work going on by Superstar and while it is T2B deep cover, but not open to the public yet.
    Nov. 29, 2016 - Tues.

If I had been day-tripping, I probably would have stayed home, but I was there and with the icy road warnings, I opted to ski.  It was excellent.  With mostly cold rain, there was no loss of snow cover and no real damage to the surfaces

Except that I got wet, the day was excellent!

The tear-down of the tents and grandstands continued.  Superstar is still not open to the public.

• NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    November 22, 2016 Report

We hit up Killington on Nov 22, taking advantage of a 2 for 1 coupon. 7 trails open, 1 foot of new snow, cold temperatures, and plenty of crowds. This was the last day for the Peak Walkway, top to bottom opened up the next day.

From the top of the North Ridge Triple, Double Dipper and High Traverse were open on natural snow. Double Dipper was particularly nice on the edges where the powder had drifted in.

Reason/East Fall and Rime were the other choices, and had good snow to start, but by midday, were getting quite scraped with the traffic. Lots of crowds resulted in a 20 minute liftline. Certainly it was great to be out on the slopes, just that the lines were rather long.

Great lunch at the Peak Lodge, very impressed with their offerings.
    15193431_10211385334891901_24766034278166848_n.jpg
    960 x 540 - 42K
    15095464_10211385253049855_7276255737863247892_n.jpg
    960 x 540 - 54K
    15078932_10211385253969878_2357454959811625396_n.jpg
    960 x 540 - 83K
    14054069_10211385256489941_4209422044360990884_n.jpg
    960 x 540 - 125K
    Dec. 7, 2016 - Weds.

Awesome powder day.  While there was only 3" of new, a number of runs including North Star and Great Bear were opened and there were large unpoached sections where the fresh snow was 8" to 12".

Lovely moguls on West Glade (Upper Ridge Run) and Powerline. The brown/dirt in the troughs allowed for visibility in the fog/flat light

They are fully connected now with access from Killington Peak to Superstar via Heaven's Gate and Bear Trax and Ramshead might be online by today.

Glades are close.  We poached Patsy's but it wasn't pleasant enough to try anything longer.

Undoubtedly, my best day of the season.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    12/11 report. Weather was perfect winter, upper teens to mid 20's. Snowmaking trails and many open were excellent with nice edge holding snow. Most of the natural snow trails were way to thinly covered for this guy I can't believe they even had most of them open. A lot of snowmaking taking place to expand the trail count and should be ready anytime this week. All in all a great day for Dec.
    Remski said:

12/11 report. Weather was perfect winter, upper teens to mid 20's. Snowmaking trails and many open were excellent with nice edge holding snow. Most of the natural snow trails were way to thinly covered for this guy I can't believe they even had most of them open. A lot of snowmaking taking place to expand the trail count and should be ready anytime this week. All in all a great day for Dec.

In the flat light,  the snud* in the troughs provided excellent contrast for skiing the moguls in the West Glade (I think they call it Upper Ridge Run now).

*snud= snow-mud
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited December 2016 Posts: 198
    I was there this past weekend (10th and 11th) as well. I skied a few of the natural trails. I thought there was plenty of snow to avoid the "chocolate chips" showing through. Only the low angle natural snow trails were open. Cascade was really nice on Saturday. They were blowing soft, dry snow that bumped up beautifully before they groomed it overnight into sat. 8-|

It was some fun December skiing. Plus they had a demo day going on Sunday and I was able to try out a few different skis.
    March 17, 2017 - Fri.
    As the season draws to a close at many of the areas, 2.5 months of great skiing remain at Killington.

Mar. 17 at Killington can only be categorized as amazing with soft powder bumps on most trails.  Runs that are almost always a little bony, such as Flume, Thimble, North Star, Royal Flush, etc. were beautiful.

How often can you say you took Outer Limits without hearing a scraping sound?

I was skiing alone, so I avoided glades that I wasn't familiar with.  Low Rider, Julios and Double Dipper Glade all had lots of untracked soft powder.  (Julio's had some bony spots at its jct. with Flume, but it was still, better than usual.)

Moguls on Lower Wildfire were unbelievable.  I went 9 to 4 with no breaks.  My last run down Royal Flush was pretty ugly.  There was nothing left in the legs!

While the day was in the 99th percentile of memorable days that I skied in my life, I still can't rate the entirety of this season any better than average to average-minus.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    I was also there on Friday and, agree with your report. The woods were awesome as was Escapade up in the Canyon. I also enjoyed a couple of soft runs on Outer Limits as well.

I disagree with your assessment of the season. 1st off, it is too early to give a solid assessment since the Spring season has just begun. Also, personally, I skied a lot. (A personal new high number of ski days). Granted the last 3 weeks were pretty crappy, starting with the President's week heatwave, but I've had a lot of really good, deep days this season and skied woods and natural snow trails at Platty throughout the season. So, IMHO, this season is at least average, trneding above average despite the up and down nature of this winter's weather.
    I was also there on Friday and, agree with your report. The woods were awesome as was Escapade up in the Canyon. I also enjoyed a couple of soft runs on Outer Limits as well.

I disagree with your assessment of the season. 1st off, it is too early to give a solid assessment since the Spring season has just begun. Also, personally, I skied a lot. (A personal new high number of ski days). Granted the last 3 weeks were pretty crappy, starting with the President's week heatwave, but I've had a lot of really good, deep days this season and skied woods and natural snow trails at Platty throughout the season. So, IMHO, this season is at least average, trneding above average despite the up and down nature of this winter's weather.
    Wrong thread for the season assessment!  Why not repost it on the correct thread.  I'm not sure the crowd who are discussing it are reading this thread too!
    ---
    I'm back at Killington for Sunday, Mar. 19.  It was a great day - although not quite as good as Friday, which was epic.  Today was only a "10".

Conditions were similar to Friday, but there were a few more scratchy spots and surfaces firmed a bit.
  • yardsaleyardsale intermediate
    edited March 20 Posts: 32

While the day was in the 99th percentile of memorable days that I skied in my life, I still can't rate the entirety of this season any better than average to average-minus.
    JS, you brought the season assessment into this thread first. A response was warranted IMO.