Killington 2016-7

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I chickened out Sunday AM when the early AM weather indicated that I-89 had speeds reduced to 45 MPH.  I kind of figured that the roads wouldn't be in great shape because most of the plows and road-care equipment has already been mothballed for the summer.

If anybody went, I would love to hear a report.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Saturday was fabulous. Top to bottom almost edge to edge all the way. Even the last pitch was almost edge to edge (to the snow guns on skier's left). All bumps with considerable base and lots of tall depth for the cats to push out. Easily going to open next weekend and almost certainly Memorial Day weekend unless the blow torch turns on next week. With favorable weather and perhaps some walking, June could be an option but that will depend on the weather. It certainly isn't out of the question based on what I saw on Saturday. That day was only lacking for sun and short sleeve T-shirt weather. 
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Beware Wed and Thursday vis a vis 'blowtorch'... first heat of the season headed this way...
    Sup can take one or two days of heat no problem. I am much more concerned about a repeat blow torch next week, that would make June out of the question. Even with Weds/Thurs this week, I think they have Memorial Day no prob.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    A repeat blow torch seems very unlikely. It looking like normal to slightly below for next week going into Memorial Day Weekend. There may be somewhat of a high latitude block causing next week to be unsettled and wet at times.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Wow, after two 90*F days, that is amazing for lower SS coverage! Hopefully I'll be back for Sunday this weekend.
    I notice that while Superstar is still t2b, we'll be riding the lift skis-off and getting back on at the bottom with some walking this weekend.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced

I notice that while Superstar is still t2b, we'll be riding the lift skis-off and getting back on at the bottom with some walking this weekend.

Good call on K's part.  Spreading out the snow in this heat will kill it quick. The short walk really doesn't diminish my experience at all.  I'll be there some time in the morning, with a long shot at Saturday also, and will try to snap a few pics.
    View from the top today. Firm snow in spots. I think it's down to the World Cup snowimageimage
    20170519_152246.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 848K
    20170519_151932.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 964K
    Thanks for the preview Chuckstah.  It looks like the ridge on skier's left is still quite deep and based on the website and their unwillingness to disturb the surface, I would say that June is better than 50%.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Agree with Joshua. By this time 2 years ago we were sliding across brown slush at one spot where they pushed snow over a bare area. I will be there Sat. A.M. with alpine equipment because of the walking situation.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Super again even with the short walks
    The bumps win today. Beat me silly. 5 pm closing time picimage
    20170520_171755.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Chuckstah said:

The bumps win today. Beat me silly. 5 pm closing time picimage

Nice picture Chuck
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Very cold tonight- they will be able to move snow.

Very cold tonight- they will be able to move snow.

They could, but I don't think there's any real need for tomorrow, except for the very top.  And there's virtually no snow left up top to move, so I'll be mildly surprised if they do. Maybe they'll push the remaining little pile at the top over the edge?   My best guess is when the top melts out tomorrow, or for next weekend, it will just be a longer and longer walk off the lift as days pass.  Today was great.  Bring on June!
    edited May 21 Posts: 1,549
    May 27, 2017 - Sun.

SJers were represented every day this weekend.  Not bad.

They moved no snow last night and what they moved yesterday pretty much melted away.  I was on one of the first chairs at 8AM with the intent to do 20 runs.  The snow was firm on the first run with some of yesterday's loose surface having firmed.  It was slow, but not unpleasant, although when I got to the bottom, I decided that 10 runs would be plenty.  2nd run was much better as the surface began to soften.  Bumps were deep and required caution.  At the bottom, I upped my intended run count back to 15.  I found nice lines on skiers left both at the top and bottom, but found the middle pretty gnarly.  I reduced my intended run count back to 12.  

It was fun but very tiring.  Mid-season, I'll average 7 to 8 runs per hour if I'm skiing the Superstar Express.  Today, I was doing just a bit over 3.  When I hit 12 runs, I bumped my intended run count back to 14.  Not that I'm superstitious, but 13 seemed like a bad goal. 

The crowd was really growing.  There was a short lift line and way too many people on the trail. So at the end of 13 runs, I did call it a day.

IMO, as of now, I would say their odds of their being open next weekend are pretty close to 100%.  Making it to the first weekend in June I'd put at 55%.  For the 2nd weekend in June, no more than 10%.
  • tededetedede advanced

May 27, 2017 - Sun.

SJers were represented every day this weekend.  Not bad.

Not sure what my plans are for the 27th. Was I there?  ;)

• mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I was there on Saturday. Showed up around 11 am and left around 3 PM. Upper section has a ice base and very thin in places. I got a core shot on my board on one of the last runs from turning on top of a hidden rock. All in all, coverage was pretty good. Everyone was having a  great time on the trail, bar, and parking lot. The lift line got fairly long and lots of standing in mud with equipment before uploading. I might venture back down there this weekend if the glacier is still looking good.

Photo is from the top of the Superstar lift. 
    May Superstar.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 5M
    Interesting how the angle at which the photo is taken can give a different message.  Both Chuckstah's photo and mtsnow123's photo show about the same thing, but I think that mtsnow123's photo give the illusion that there is much less snow!

The thin spots on the trail were at the edges far from the spine.  I did not find the walk, either at the top or bottom, to be objectionable,  although the walk at the bottom was a bit muddy.
    edited May 22 Posts: 234
    Nice! Joshua, I think you are doing spring bumps wrong if you showed up at 8am for first chair! Give those bumps some time to soften up and you'll get your 20! 

:)]

I was planning on K this past weekend but the Auto Road opened so I couldn't pass up prime time East Snowfields. Based on the pictures I saw before the weekend, I assumed Memorial Day K was a lock whereas the snowfields could substantially melt this coming week. I got my Auto Road fix this past weekend to open up next weekend for K.

Unless we get another meltdown, June 1st may be solid at this point. Last year, K opened Memorial Day weekend for free with significant walking and down climbing required. It was a stunning gesture of goodwill. June bragging rights would be incredible for K, I bet they go with it even with significant walking (unless it is worse than last year's closing day).
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    The lower section has by far the most snow. If they are willing/needing to push snow at the bottom it shouldn't be a problem. From riding up the chairlift on the section where the trail is to the right of you, the base is well over 10 feet in the middle.
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    So the question I wonder (if it happens), will they just open on Thursday June 1 (knowing that they been closed midweek except Fridays for almost a month) and call it a season?
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • jaytremjaytrem intermediate
    20 years ago I would say "no doubt".  If it's an option this year my gut says "probably".  Another question is would they open June 1 if they know they can also do 2, 3 and 4?  And will they bring back the June 1 Fun Slalom?  I still have a June 1 t-shirt around here somewhere.
    riverc0il said:

Nice! Joshua, I think you are doing spring bumps wrong if you showed up at 8am for first chair! Give those bumps some time to soften up and you'll get your 20! 

:)]

Thanks.  I'm a huge believer that if you get there early and it's bad, you can always wait.  But if it is good, you can't get back that first hour.

And at this time of year, depending on how quickly the temps rise, the moguls can go from barely skiable to cooked in as little as 2 to 3 runs!  I'd say runs 2 to 5 were condition-wise the best, but runs 4 to 8 were probably about the time that I was warmed up and skiing my best.
    mtsnow123 said:

The lower section has by far the most snow. If they are willing/needing to push snow at the bottom it shouldn't be a problem. From riding up the chairlift on the section where the trail is to the right of you, the base is well over 10 feet in the middle.

Even at the center of the ess-curve, it gets a bit narrow, but it is really deep through there on the spine.  They had one cat parked at the top, one in the middle and two at the bottom.  So if there is snow to move, they are ready to move it.
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    jaytrem said:

20 years ago I would say "no doubt".  If it's an option this year my gut says "probably".  Another question is would they open June 1 if they know they can also do 2, 3 and 4?  And will they bring back the June 1 Fun Slalom?  I still have a June 1 t-shirt around here somewhere.

I know (as I called ahead) that there wasn't a June 1 slalom in 2002, the last time they opened on June 1.

In the years of the Annuals June 1 Slaloms, K would be open daily even in June. I've skied June 1 from 1992 to 1997 - I didn't arrive early enough for the one in 1992, but participated in the next and last 5 held.

Memories from Killington in June back in 1992.

June 1, 1992

June 11, 1992

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Is there a ski movie called Diehard?
    You dudes should make one ( sorry ski it)

Looks like the greenand white mountains all in one
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    My avatar is from June 1st 1994.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.