nice video from yesterday on SS

• ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited May 23 Posts: 348
    Sorry, can't get video to work. 
    - Sam
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Nice job man.
  • obienickobienick expert
    Are they running it that slow due to the walk-on/walk-off access?
    obienick said:

Yes, and it is also only two per chair which created long lines this past weekend.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Chuckstah said:

obienick said:

Yes, and it is also only two per chair which created long lines this past weekend.
    If the chairs were running full, the trail would be beyond dangerous.  I already felt there were too many people for the trail's capacity by 11 AM or so.

Chuckstah said:

obienick said:

If the chairs were running full, the trail would be beyond dangerous.  I already felt there were too many people for the trail's capacity by 11 AM or so.
    Completely agree.  I thought it was very manageable with 2 per chair at fixed grip speed, but would have quit early with more than double the people on the trail.
    Sunday will be operating day number 200!
    - Sam
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

Sunday will be operating day number 200!

That is a wild number!
  • edited May 24 Posts: 2,012
    It's happening!! Killington has announced that they will be open until at least June 1st!

http://links.powdr.mkt8305.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MjkxMzM5MTkS1&r=NDk5NDk2MTA3MTA1S0&j=MTA0MzI3MTkyMQS2&mt=1&rt=0
    - Sam
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate

It's happening!! Killington has announced that they will be open until at least June 1st!

http://links.powdr.mkt8305.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MjkxMzM5MTkS1&r=NDk5NDk2MTA3MTA1S0&j=MTA0MzI3MTkyMQS2&mt=1&rt=0

If schussable....so still tentative, but promising.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    Going Sunday the 28th, but the latest photo appears close to showing a break (or at least a very narrow spot) at the "ess-curve".  If they do make June 1,  there will likely be some major bare spots to negotiate.

Going Sunday the 28th, but the latest photo appears close to showing a break (or at least a very narrow spot) at the "ess-curve".  If they do make June 1,  there will likely be some major bare spots to negotiate.

It looks like they moved some snow this morning at that point.
    - Sam
    Superstar will be groomed tonight per the daily report. I guess I'll need to be there at 8 to get a couple bump free runs, and probably the last continuous runs of the season.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced

I've skied the mud breaks mid-May before. One or two small breaks ain't nothing, especially considering what they had on offer Memorial Day weekend last year. I'd be shocked if they don't go for June at this point. The weather is cooperating with no melt down in the forecast and seasonal or cooler weather. I'll be there for Saturday this weekend, likely back next weekend if they go for it. At the least, I am sure they would do June 1st for bragging rights even if they can't make the following weekend.
    riverc0il said:

I've skied the mud breaks mid-May before. One or two small breaks ain't nothing, especially considering what they had on offer Memorial Day weekend last year. I'd be shocked if they don't go for June at this point. The weather is cooperating with no melt down in the forecast and seasonal or cooler weather. I'll be there for Saturday this weekend, likely back next weekend if they go for it. At the least, I am sure they would do June 1st for bragging rights even if they can't make the following weekend.
    The fact that there are breaks in the snow cover is significant only in that it portends the end of the season.  It doesn't keep the hard core away.  Before snowmaking, rather than grooming/pushing snow they just covered the bare spots with bales of hay which were less damaging to skis than the bare spots of this era!
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Looks like buttah on the webcam now....dirty buttah but still buttah..have fun!
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    I found this 

It's like a snow cone. Good cover all the wat except the very top. image
    20170527_090836.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 882K
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    edited May 27 Posts: 210
    It is a beautiful day. As Chuck said, no breaks, up top is narrow and getting rocky now. This morning, after grooming last night, the entire run was really nice. I was lapping it for a couple of hours and got many runs in already. I was on the lift at 8. I'm going back out now for a few more before I need to get home on time for an evening bbq tonight or the wife will kill me!

Edit:
    The headwall was getting beaten up pretty badly by 1-1:30 when I left. Not sure how much longer that will make it without walking. I walked the headwall my last run.
    This morning's webcam shot. Groomed again

cambox.jpeg
    303 x 171 - 7K
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    Sad to see it groomed! Kinda like seeing lots of hard work go to waste. It took a while to build up some solid bumps yesterday. But by 1-2pm it was starting to get pretty good! 

It looked like they still had enough snow at the very top to push a bit more snow over the edge and get the headwall skiable for Sunday morning. But at this point, everyone should assume they will need to down hike the headwall to the first waterbar (about 20' vertical). I started down hiking on Saturday around noontime.

The very top of the headwall is the only week spot. The S curve is starting to narrow but still not bad. They have June 1st easily. If they want next weekend, I see no reason they can't do it with maybe a little more down hiking on the headwall and two splits at most at the two narrowest points.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Very cool. Always was walk down headwall and sometimes other sections when they did June in past.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Thanks for the video
    Even though almost a week ago gives one an idea how long and bumpy that run is.
    How long is it a mile?
    May 28, 2017 - Sun.

It was nicely groomed and it was even skiable on the headwall at 8AM.  It was a pleasure to have the first few runs as cruisers, without having to jump into the moguls immediately.  By 9AM, there was some walking on the top of the headwall.  By 1PM when I quit, there was about an 80 foot break on the headwall.  Some were sidestepping; most were walking down to the snow.

From there to the bottom the snow was nice and the cover was good.  The ess-curve was narrow but well covered.  There was a brownish area higher on the hill where the cover was thin but no problem skiing it.

The crowd was good - perhaps 350 or so which resulted in serious crowding of the one open trail.  What made me pack it in early was not the crowd, as much  as the flat light - and it was tiring side-stepping and/or walking down to where the snow started.

It was Killington's 200th day of the season and since I wasn't pushing for every last run, I took the time to take a photo of the banner - and I posted it specifically for ciscokid :-)

I can't top the other posted photos of the trail, so there are no other photos!

It's pretty close to 100% that they will be open Thursday, Jun. 1.  The rumor I heard on the hill was that they plan to be open thru the weekend, ending Jun. 4.
    KillingtonDay200_lowres.JPG
    930 x 612 - 293K
    Worth noting, they will be closed tomorrow for weather.
    My guess is they stay closed until Friday. Forecast is terrible
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate

My guess is they stay closed until Friday. Forecast is terrible

There is an opening in the forecast for Thursday, I expect if there is enough snow, they will open on Thursday and might be the last time...we'll know by Wednesday afternoon.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

May 28, 2017 - Sun.

It was nicely groomed and it was even skiable on the headwall at 8AM.  It was a pleasure to have the first few runs as cruisers, without having to jump into the moguls immediately.  By 9AM, there was some walking on the top of the headwall.  By 1PM when I quit, there was about an 80 foot break on the headwall.  Some were sidestepping; most were walking down to the snow.

From there to the bottom the snow was nice and the cover was good.  The ess-curve was narrow but well covered.  There was a brownish area higher on the hill where the cover was thin but no problem skiing it.

The crowd was good - perhaps 350 or so which resulted in serious crowding of the one open trail.  What made me pack it in early was not the crowd, as much  as the flat light - and it was tiring side-stepping and/or walking down to where the snow started.

It was Killington's 200th day of the season and since I wasn't pushing for every last run, I took the time to take a photo of the banner - and I posted it specifically for ciscokid :-)

I can't top the other posted photos of the trail, so there are no other photos!

It's pretty close to 100% that they will be open Thursday, Jun. 1.  The rumor I heard on the hill was that they plan to be open thru the weekend, ending Jun. 4.

Thanks Joshua

I still enjoy reading your thoroughly descriptive reports both here and Crotched, it's just with the video and pictures I can visualize what you thoroughly describe.

200 days skiing wow, Joshua how many for you this season? 150?