Killington 2016-7

12346»

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited May 29 Posts: 1,804
    MadPatSki said:

My guess is they stay closed until Friday. Forecast is terrible

There is an opening in the forecast for Thursday, I expect if there is enough snow, they will open on Thursday and might be the last time...we'll know by Wednesday afternoon.
    Thursday looks like an OK weather day as of this AM.

To ciscokid: Assuming that June 1 materializes: 125 days, 2.4 million vertical, 115 lift-serviced. 
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    ciscokid said:

Chuckstah said:

The bumps win today. Beat me silly. 5 pm closing time picimage

Nice picture Chuck
    Thanks!  Just noticed it made the home screen top left pic.  And was rotated properly.  Something I couldn't do!
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Nice pic. Again it is weird  that I just logged in on a PC and the old home screen pic is up. Until I click refresh after I saw your post. Then voila, Superstar!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    webcam shows cat on the hill working on the "s" narrows. 6:30am Wed
    skiers on it now. Likely mt. ops checking snow  9:40 am Wed
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    The lift is running as well.
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate
    Here it is this folks...one last post for one last day of lift serve skiing in the East

Skiing in June: ski season is never over when it’s an endless season – Eastern Closing Thread 2017 – One Final Post
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
  • obienickobienick expert
    Killington announced they'll be open June 1, which will be the final day of the season.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    FREE skiing tomorrow, as it's the last day:  http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/conditions/dor
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited May 31 Posts: 938
    From Killington's home page:

Looking like you'll have to walk down the headwall and to the lift.  And at least one opening may occur (at the breakover to Preston's Pitch and at the "S").  Killington won't push snow.

Can someone explain the issue of the "S"? A lot more effort went to making a bigger snowpack there. Is there a spring or something?
    obienick said:

Looking like you'll have to walk down the headwall and to the lift.  And at least one opening may occur (at the breakover to Preston's Pitch and at the "S").  Killington won't push snow.

Can someone explain the issue of the "S"? A lot more effort went to making a bigger snowpack there. Is there a spring or something?
    I'll let you know tomorrow when I return from there ;)
    I'll be on my beater tele-sticks
    I'll be there June 1, too.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    They closed last year with a LOT less coverage, bummer they won't go for the weekend. Last year, I think there were at least 6 portages if you didn't want to ski grass. Two of those portages involved down hiking the final pitch which is quite steep. I can't complain, last year they closed with free skiing and this year they are also opening the lifts for the final day. Bummed they won't give the weekend a go as I can't abandon work tomorrow. No worries though, I'll be hiking this weekend.

:D
    Looks nicely groomed this morning....will be fun
    shoot.. last minute plans say I can't go today. Have fun and get it if you can folks!
    Heading up now. I hope there's still snow left by the afternoon when I get there :D
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Have fun. I agree Rivercoil, look at my often posted June 94 pics...much less snow. At least it is free today. What were they charging before this? It was $25 in 94 IIRC.imageimage
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    1994_06_10 Killington (1).jpg
    1184 x 1742 - 529K
    1994_06_10 Killington (8).jpg
    1738 x 1185 - 568K
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    I was there on June 1 of 94.  :D
    Great time today! Except for top and bottom there are no breaks. Its is getting a little light in spots though
    IMG_3572.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    They made 6/1, got the marketing hype, time to call it. I wouldn't burn diesel to repair the hill, or spin the lift any longer either.
    edited June 2 Posts: 1,804
    I've seen them open in the past with a lot more portage on the way down.  There were a few bony spots, but otherwise a really good day.  If they wanted to be open through the weekend, they could easily have pulled it off.

That being said, this AM the line was so long that they opened the lift at 8:45.  All 250 free T-shirts were gone by 8:55.  By 9:30 there was no crowd at the lift.  A lot of people were "one-and-done".

From the top they actually provided ropes by which to rappel the headwall, but most walked.  It was muddy and slippery.  I fell three times.

The scariest part was making the first turn and hoping that no one would do it at the same time.  Once clear of the top, the way down was groomed and lovely in the AM.  By 11AM, the thin covered areas began to get really bony.

I'm sure that they made positive cash flow for the day.  While they didn't charge for lift tickets the food and drink were selling at a good clip.

Congrats to Killington in general and to Mike Solimano in particular for providing Oct. to Jun. skiing.
    This is the view leaving town
    IMG_3589.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • MadPatSkiMadPatSki intermediate

I was there... June 1 1992 to 1997 and 2017.

By far the worst coverage was June 1 1993...most of the flats didn't any snow and it made for a long walk.

Being them, I wouldn't have open past today, the pitch was breaking at a few places + what the forecast for the next few days (rain, rain and rain).. They made it June which has been a objective for the last few seasons. They tried to stretch it out as long as possible in recent years to try to make it to June which made for pretty sketchy last days.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    MadPatSki said:

... + what the forecast for the next few days (rain, rain and rain).. They made it June which has been a objective for the last few seasons. They tried to stretch it out as long as possible in recent years to try to make it to June which made for pretty sketchy last days.
    Agree.  I suspect if the forecast was for a bluebird weekend, they would have pushed it through the weekend.  There will be people earning turns on some of the deeper snow-covered sections for weeks to come.

• ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    edited June 3 Posts: 348
    Fun day at K yesterday. Good cover early, with ever thinning bony spots late. Out from before 9 til a bit after 4 with lots of food and beverage breaks. Free t shirt was a nice bonus. Here are a couple pics including one of our self described crazy Canadian Madpatski, with the King of Spring in the background. imageimageimageimage
    Screenshot_2017-06-02-18-34-37.png
    854 x 480 - 750K
    Screenshot_2017-06-02-21-01-56.png
    854 x 480 - 546K
    Screenshot_2017-06-02-18-32-14.png
    854 x 480 - 669K
    Screenshot_2017-06-02-18-32-00.png
    854 x 480 - 544K
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    Slalom skiing after the lift shut down at Killington: Link. Pretty cool stuff!
    mtsnow123 said:

This is the "Redneck Racing" group.  They produced a similar video at Stowe a few weeks after they closed.  The skier is Robby Kelley.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced

mtsnow123 said:

This is the "Redneck Racing" group.  They produced a similar video at Stowe a few weeks after they closed.  The skier is Robby Kelley.
    Yes! Saw that one as well. They were ripping up Liftline.