WV - Green Peak - October 29, 2016 :)

becca_mbecca_m advanced
in Trip Reports Posts: 115
HI All!  I really wasn't excited about the expansion at WV but got some early tracks there yesterday (10/29/16) and have to say - really seems pretty neat!

Great views of the Sandwich Range (Osceolas in particular)!!!   From there I went to the summit of Tecumseh and rode back down via Ciao - conditions were wet cement - difficult turns on the steeps.   --Becca

From the top of Green Peak - outstanding views!!!!

Ready to "drop in" at Green Peak:

Possibly first tracks at Green Peak - ?    I didn't see other tracks and good info there weren't any tracks the week before    

Comments

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Way to earn your Oct turns!
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Thanks for the report, Becca. I expect the snow is just a nuisance with work still to be done!
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    +1 fantastic photos and great report!
  • ski_itski_it expert

+2

So the campaign ads shown constantly down here in the flatlands have one of your governor candidates blasting the other candidate as having ruined a ski area. I see dozer tracks there so they must be working, but do you think the lift will run this season?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    edited October 2016 Posts: 115

Hi!   Thanks All! 

Footings appear to be poured and lift towers are stacked near the main base, awaiting transport and install at the new pod.  They were working Saturday (lower on new trails in the pod - other trails I wasn't on) - I would put $ on that pod opening this season.    

• mapnutmapnut expert

I was wondering how Sununu's opponent could be claiming he "ruined" a ski area. Here's an excerpt from the Union Leader, Oct. 26:

CONCORD — The two executive councilors battling to become the next governor went right after one another over their resumes and their differing views on key issues during a debate Wednesday night.

Republican nominee Chris Sununu of Newfields defended his stewardship of the Waterville Valley ski resort amidst attacks from Democrats that the attraction has slumped under his control.

“I have created hundreds of jobs. Waterville’s success is undeniable. We are the only ski resort on the East Coast that is expanding,” Sununu said during the two candidates first, televised debate on NH1.

Democrat Colin Van Ostern of Concord said Sununu can’t conceal that ski visits and revenue has plummeted since Sununu became general manager six years ago.

“Since then, they have lost market share and cut jobs, not created them,” Van Ostern said.

• tededetedede advanced
    Knowing the GM personally, he'll get it running.  
  • ski_itski_it expert
    mapnut said:

I was wondering how Sununu's opponent could be claiming he "ruined" a ski area. Here's an excerpt from the Union Leader, Oct. 26:

CONCORD — The two executive councilors battling to become the next governor went right after one another over their resumes and their differing views on key issues during a debate Wednesday night.

Republican nominee Chris Sununu of Newfields defended his stewardship of the Waterville Valley ski resort amidst attacks from Democrats that the attraction has slumped under his control.

“I have created hundreds of jobs. Waterville’s success is undeniable. We are the only ski resort on the East Coast that is expanding,” Sununu said during the two candidates first, televised debate on NH1.

Democrat Colin Van Ostern of Concord said Sununu can’t conceal that ski visits and revenue has plummeted since Sununu became general manager six years ago.

“Since then, they have lost market share and cut jobs, not created them,” Van Ostern said.

Yesterday's NESH excerpt from DRED:

New Hampshire's gubernatorial candidates, Democrat Colin Van Ostern and Republican Chris Sununu, are both members of the Executive Council, which approves large Cannon Mountain spending requests.

Sununu, CEO of Waterville Valley, has recused himself from all Cannon Mountain votes. Van Ostern has approved all spending requests and has not recused himself from any Cannon Mountain votes, despite being the son in law of Cannon Mountain Advisory Commission Chairman Rich McLeod.

Over $6.25 million in new Cannon debt has been approved since the ski season, including $350,000 on June 1 and a $5,907,512 snowmaking bond on July 13.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Whoo - hoo, Becca!  First turns on new turf.  Pretty great.

Love the photos, too, esp. the view of the Osceolas.  I remember trudging up those peaks (OK, I'll admit it:  in 1972) on a dreary day through intermittent showers.  Nice to see them with a new coating of snow.

Here's to the season,
    Woody
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Regarding Sununu and WV:  

It is clear that in a bygone era, WV was a premier destination resort.  It is also clear that it no longer is.

In recent years, there has been a lot of discussion about aging infrastructure, failing to expand and failure to adapt to  the new era of glade skiing

Did Sununu run it into the ground?  Probably not.  Has he failed to maintain it and put it into a "deferred maintenance' mode.  Possibly.  But it is also possible that he hasn't been given the fiscal resources to update the area.  That being said, it doesn't cost a lot of money to cut some glades.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    ski_it said:

Van Ostern has approved all spending requests and has not recused himself from any Cannon Mountain votes, despite being the son in law of Cannon Mountain Advisory Commission Chairman Rich McLeod

In New Jersey we call this "business as usual"
  • obienickobienick expert

Regarding Sununu and WV:  

It is clear that in a bygone era, WV was a premier destination resort.  It is also clear that it no longer is.

In recent years, there has been a lot of discussion about aging infrastructure, failing to expand and failure to adapt to  the new era of glade skiing

Did Sununu run it into the ground?  Probably not.  Has he failed to maintain it and put it into a "deferred maintenance' mode.  Possibly.  But it is also possible that he hasn't been given the fiscal resources to update the area.  That being said, it doesn't cost a lot of money to cut some glades.
    There has been allegations he fired the heads of key on-snow departments who knew what they were doing and replaced them with hacks. 

Also over the years, Wildcat, Bretton Woods, Loon, Ragged, Cranmore and Attitash have all put money into low-E and/or fan gun snowmaking equipment. As a GM he has the ability to recommend to the higher ups that $X should be put into low-E guns every year since we can save more in energy costs one season alone. The only investment in snowmaking at WV was paid for by the racers.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    photos at NE Ski

ropeways.net | Home | 2016-11-10

Green Peak Construction Continues as Ski Season Approaches

Trail, snowmaking and lift projects are ongoing.

On the eve of the election and ski season, the aggressive Green Peak expansion project continues to move forward at Waterville Valley.

Concrete has been poured for the Green Peak lift terminal footings, as well as the top three tower footings. The remainder of the tower footing forms are in place or staged nearby. The World Cup Triple towers have been taken down, while the top and bottom terminals are currently being removed. Additional towers and haul rope were recently delivered, as well as the recently galvanized chairs. 

Excavation of the new trails is moving along slowly, hampered by recent rain, snow, and frost events. The only completed trails thus far are Green Peak novice trails 51 and 53. The top third of the intermediate terrain has been smoothed, as well as much of intermediate trail 52. None of the new expert trails have been excavated.

Construction of snowmaking infrastructure on Green Peak novice trail 51 continues using 4" interlocking Tiroler Rohre pipe. Conduit is being laid for electrical service, while at least 5 Sufag fan guns have been delivered.

First approved by the United States Forest Service in 2013, the $2 million Green Peak project is expected to add 10 trails spanning 45 acres. The World Cup Triple will be relocated and installed on the new peak by SkyTrans. Originally a 1986 Albertsson-Stadeli installation, the lift was rebuilt with a new drive and line equipment by Doppelmayr in 2000. The Green Peak installation is expected to be 4,380 feet long by 1,011 feet vertical.

Waterville Valley CEO Sununu has campaigned heavily on the Green Peak expansion, touting the use of New Hampshire contractors throughout the project. Recent polls show Sununu leading by 4 to 5 points in the New Hampshire gubernatorial race.

Source: "NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com"

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com

• ski_itski_it expert
    Leading? He won...barely.  Sununu will be the nation’s youngest governor.
    ski_it said:

Leading? He won...barely.  Sununu will be the nation’s youngest governor.

That article was published on the 7th and then Ropeways.net posted it on their website on the 11th with the exact same text.
    - Sam
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,737
    I know, but I just luv coming back to this post to see Becca's first photo.
    I have no opinion on NHs choice of governor, BUT he does run a ski area!!! Sweet. Just the facts.
    And just doing my level best to kill yet another thread
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,737

Mr. Sununu resigned as CEO today. 

Becca I passed a NH car downstate last weekend with plate # HIKEIT..was that you?

• becca_mbecca_m advanced
    close - my plate(s) are HIKENH & SNBOARD    :)
  • ski_itski_it expert

I just received an email from WV (I feel so special) - "we are droppjng the ropes on New Trail #52 Opens Jan.14". It also says that Mt T will be 100% open the MLK weekend.