JMaul Pit Photo Stumper

rickbolgerrickbolger expert
in The Pit Posts: 953
OK I'm putting this in the pit because it's a special JMaul stumper....only Mr. Maul need reply.  If anybody else knows it they can PM me.

Mr. Maul if you get this I will buy the next round at Hill Farmstead.

whosis10.jpg
800 x 600 - 124K

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,542
    Oh that's so easy. Obviously it's Alta.
    Now how do I go around to get a round at Hill Farmstead?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • trackbikertrackbiker intermediate
    Don't know but it's not Alta.
  • ski_itski_it expert

Don't know but it's not Alta.

You're right. Must be Mad River
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Hey guys, reread rickbolger's request.  There's a round at Hill Farmstead riding on this.

Woody
  • JMaulJMaul advanced
    Looks like a fun little place. 
    Do I have to be enrolled in classes at Lassen Community College to ski there?

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    jan-21-13 040edit.jpg
    800 x 807 - 97K
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    holy crap.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 953
    ski_it having a little fun with his "guesses"  :D

Well that's it, I'm done. Damn.

Coppervale Ski Hill at Lassen Community College.

:-O :-O  :-O :-O 
  • ski_itski_it expert

I'm glad someone got that....glad I didn't have to guess Deer Valley next... My way of giving the thread a bump. And I wouldn't have gotten this in a million years.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced

Well that's it, I'm done. Damn.

Coppervale Ski Hill at Lassen Community College.

:-O :-O  :-O :-O 

Jmaul:  All Hail !!!
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 726

Amazing, why would a college-owned ski area be among the worst vertical-drop liars? They claim 740 but this map says 600 and on the topo it looks like 550. https://skimap.org/data/4837/2200/1451768331.jpeg

Don't mind me, I'm just irked because I went searching and only found this area called Lassen: https://skimap.org/data/4680/2200/1445449589.jpeg

It's located at the south entrance of Lassen Volcanic National Park and appears to be lost. Probably was about the same size as Coppervale.

Some colleges like to shelter their students from reality.  

Lassen [National Park] Ski area is lost, data I have says shuttered in 1992.  I found no trace of it when I visited the park circa 2008, rangers at the visitors center vaguely indicated where it was but didn't tell me much.  I also think there was a ski area of some sort, like a club operation, on the north side of Lassen NP on USFS land.  Really not many people to draw from up there.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 726

The USGS topo map shows ski lifts just north of the south entrance to Lassen Park, about 4 miles south of Lassen Peak. Like the map, it shows lifts both above and below the road. I use mapper.acme.com. You can switch to an aerial photo and maybe make out traces of 2 liftlines.

Amazingly, there's another little ski area just 20 miles west of Coppervale in Chester, Stover Mountain. http://www.skiresorts.org/unitedstates/california/49.asp Can't confirm if it's open. Rope tow only but possibly 500 vertical feet.

Skimap.org is pretty good, listing all these areas. Lassen is indicated as lost and Stover as undetermined. No map for Stover.

some people say Stover is shut down but I haven't been able to confirm.  It's not unheard of for some California areas to be unused for 2-3 years or more, they look abandoned, then they get snow and people come out of the woodwork. 
  • ski_itski_it expert

How do you think he does it? I don't know.

Damn he's good. Ok so if he isn't NSA or there isn't a digital signature left behind on the file, he must have a photographic memory. Oh and probably would have taken me less than a million years...how long would it take to type in the name of every ski area in & out of existence? 

Let us all know when you plan to be at the Hill.

• mapnutmapnut expert

What makes him so good?

Probably some kind of a photo search. That OP photo is in the gallery at the Coppervale website. Otherwise, it's pretty generic. Snowboarder on steep powdery slope. 3 kinds of evergreens in background. Heavily forested slopes in distance.

• JMaulJMaul advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 201
    Started looking around at some other little hills in the northern Sierras and came across the Johnsville Historic Ski Bowl and the Plumas Ski Club. Get a look at those longboards  :-O :-O
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    edited November 2016 Posts: 953
    I've never seen him fall

well I thought I removed any chance of EXIF or GPS data, and the Coppervale gallery was too below the radar to be scanned by tineye, I checked that too.  Plus Chico is 100 miles away so he didn't use his brew tour vector skills.