Site of the Salem Witch Trials Hangings Found

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
edited November 2016 in The Pit Posts: 110
Thought this might interest some of you, especially those from Mass. I always find discovering historic sites fascinating, from lost ski areas to other sites. I recently learned after a visit to Salem, MA that the actual location for where the hangings for the Witch Trials has been found. It was always assumed to be Gallows Hill, but rather it is 1/4 mile away, at Proctor's Ledge. Amazingly, it is on a strip of town land squeezed between houses and a Walgreens!

Check out the link for information on how it was found, as well as plans to make it into a memorial park. The attached photo is the ledge where they took place.

Info on the site
gallows_hill_low.jpg
400 x 266 - 219K

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Interesting? Yes.  But how is it relevant to any aspect of skiing?  Is the site a NELSAP area?
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 110
    Just shared in The Pit...off topic conversations for a previously "lost" historic site.
    NELSAP said:

Just shared in The Pit...off topic conversations for a previously "lost" historic site.

Actually, it fits well with lifts not in ski areas and other similar threads.  I didn't notice that it was in the pit!
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    The article is very interesting, thanks Jeremy. So the actual hanging site was lost, but the assumed site on the top of Gallows Hill was mislocated. Can you think of any lost ski areas that were mislocated and later corrected?
    mapnut said:

The article is very interesting, thanks Jeremy. So the actual hanging site was lost, but the assumed site on the top of Gallows Hill was mislocated. Can you think of any lost ski areas that were mislocated and later corrected?

I nominate Crotched Mtn!  It is true that neither original Crotched Mtn. or the present Crotched goes to the summit of Crotched Mtn. However, what is called Crotched Mtn. today is the Onset/Bobcat Ski Area. That being said, the correction hasn't been made yet :-)
  • mapnutmapnut expert

Well if we're going to do ski areas that aren't on the mountain they're named after, there's lots. Starting with Baker Mt. in Maine which is across the road from Baker Mt. the ski area. Sunday River is on just 2 mountains, Barker Mt. and Black Mt., but Locke Mountain and Jordan Mountain are completely outside the ski area.

Jeremy, should we stick to discussing Salem? 

• riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 212
    Interesting? Yes.  But how is it relevant to any aspect of skiing?  Is the site a NELSAP area?
    I am not aware of any lost ski area, but Gallow's Hill is relevant to skiing since it has been skied, whether or not the hangings occurred there or not...
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Rivercoil, great classic report from Gallow's Hill!
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    NELSAP said:

Rivercoil, great classic report from Gallow's Hill!

Thanks! Unfortunately, the prose is cringe worthy in hindsight and deserves a rewrite. But the spirit is there. :)