Gateway Hills Ski Slope, Nashua

edited December 2016 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,862
Although extremely small, it seems like NH may soon have a new ski area! This would be the first new ski area which is currently operating in New England since Bretton Woods opened in 1973.
http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=514
- Sam

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    This is totally nutty:  Quoting from the referenced article: "Snowmaking is not part of the current proposal, but could be proposed in the future if customer demand warrants it. The developer plans to truck in snow from parking lots if needed."

Someone must have needed a tax loss.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    So imagine they scoop up a bunch of heavy wet snow, then it warms up while they're on a coffee break, then overcast, and they have a giant block frozen in the dump body...

:-O
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Sounds like a slightly outside the box opportunity for a design challenge, terrain park anyone? There are features in some parks higher than the hill! The snow tubing suggested for later might be the most viable part of the project. It might be a good feeder for larger mountains, like Macintyre...
  • KayakerKayaker novice
    Sounds more like a snow disposal project than a new ski area.
    NELSBEER said:

Sounds like a slightly outside the box opportunity for a design challenge, terrain park anyone? There are features in some parks higher than the hill! The snow tubing suggested for later might be the most viable part of the project. It might be a good feeder for larger mountains, like Macintyre...

Hard to even do a decent terrain park with 40' of vertical.  The Reason Park on Killington's North Ridge is 250' of vertical and they only have 8 features!  The Magic Carpet, unless they got a deal on a used one, will still cost about $80K.
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Worthy of a half pipe.  Maybe some tubing, features, and perhaps a learning slope.  
    You need more than 40' of vertical for a half-pipe - and a zaugg (I think that's what they're called) is close to $200K.  I think you'll find that half-pipes take up a lot of space for a very small number of users.  I think it will become the smallest vertical ski and ride area in New England, possibly anywhere.
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced

You need more than 40' of vertical for a half-pipe - and a zaugg (I think that's what they're called) is close to $200K.  I think you'll find that half-pipes take up a lot of space for a very small number of users.  I think it will become the smallest vertical ski and ride area in New England, possibly anywhere.

Props for that claim to fame!  Not sure how receptive the market will be to "The Smallest Ski Area in New England" :-)
  • lysikjlysikj novice
    YAHOO! This is the best thing to happen to Nashua in years.  The business plan has been well thought out and will be a great launch bad for young and old beginner skiers to learn a winter sport and not have to travel for hours or cost a whole pay check.  The Ski hill will be visible from exit 1 and Rt 3.  The addition of tubing/snow making in the future how can this not work.  I'm all in     
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Well, this is real, and real small as advertised. Stppped in today while driving by. You certainly can see it from the highway. Couple pics of "base lodge" and the carpet. imageimageimage
    20161215_131107.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    20161215_131127.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    20161215_131209.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • lysikjlysikj novice
    Base lodge from I understand is temporary for this season.  My sources say that due to time this is what they could do with little time.  On the books for next year would be a small scale lodge.  There goal is to provide a local place where all ages can come and enjoy learning/playing locally.  Also the Hill will be having a park with features both man made and natural features.  Best of all the price will be much lower then the mountains but yet a great feeder area for the "bigger" mountains  who are more concerned with $$$$$$ instead of customer service    
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,589

Wow, I never thought it would be going this season. Did they get all approvals?

Edit: Says open 12/22

https://www.facebook.com/gatewayhillssnowpark/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

http://gatewayhillssnowpark.com/

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • lysikjlysikj novice
    Opening (weather permitting) within the next week or two.  Lights and magic carpet installed and looks like a great beginner hill
    Wow! That was way faster than I ever expected!
    - Sam
    It looks about ready, but needs more snow.  There are certainly plenty of snow banks in the surrounding lots to harvest, if that is indeed the plan.  If I don't end up going to Black Mtn (NH) on Saturday, which is still up in the air, I think I'll hike a few runs in the new expected  powder.  It did indeed look like enough room for a small rail garden and some first timer terrain.  I wish them luck.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    $24-32 is lower than Stowe but it's only 40 feet. Mt ISNE with no lift nor snowmaking is free. :D
    But I welcome any additional ski terrain.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

$24-32 is lower than Stowe but it's only 40 feet. Mt ISNE with no lift nor snowmaking is free. :D

Agree, I was thinking I'd try it once if it was free or say $5 like Living Memorial in Brattleboro.  The Ascutney Tow opening this weekend, I believe, is free.  At  $24 plus no thanks.  But the board members here are certainly not the target audience.
  • lysikjlysikj novice

Don't forget this is beginner terrain for skiing and riding.  It does have a surface lift and will have some park features.  I've been talking with teachers, parents and students at my school all positive feedback.  If you want big mountain skiing and think like a big mountain skier this may not be the place for you.  However if you want your children or adults that want to learn and don't want to shell out $50-$100 and drive a good chunk of your day, This is the place for you.

The future if all works out has steeper longer terrain and the possibility of another lift.  This may give the local High School Alpine teams a training place within 15 min from their High Schools.  This will save the schools travel expenses from the ever shrinking School budgets. 

Another feature is the availability of cross Country Skiing that will also be added.   

• ski_itski_it expert
    ok, that's all great but you can get a learning area pass at Bradford for $15-24 & at Ward for $10-21. McIntyre $19 learning area to a max of $36 holiday junior all lifts.
    NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com

New Ski Area Named Gateway Hills Scheduled to Open Next Week
    The small beginner area is located in Nashua, New Hampshire.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com
    Gateway Hills Snow Park, December 2016

New England's newest ski area is set to open next Thursday in Nashua, New Hampshire.

Located adjacent to the Nashua Technology Park, Gateway Hills Snow Park is set to provide beginner terrain on natural snow. A 250 foot long by 40 vertical foot Magic Carpet lift has already been installed, as well as night lighting. Terrain park elements will also be available.

Gateway Hills is likely the first net new ski area to open to the public in New Hampshire since the 1970s.

A trailer will host ticket and rental operations this season, while a small building may be constructed next year. Existing buildings and parking lots will be leveraged for restrooms and parking this season.

Snowmaking and snow tubing could be added at a later time.

According to gatewayhillssnowpark.com, lift ticket prices will range from $20 to $32. Hours of operation are set for 10 to 10 Wednesday through Saturday and 10 to 6 Sunday through Tuesday.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=522
    - Sam
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,663
    I certainly wish them luck, but without snowmaking, I don't see them opening next week and at that price, I can't see them getting a lot of customers.  That being said, the capacity of the carpet and the size of the slopes wouldn't hold many skiers.
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 769

Right, I think those rates are preposterous for a half-day on an acre slope with no snowmaking. Conditions will suck most of the time. I'd like to encourage start-ups and feeder hills, but I think they should get a snow gun and halve their prices.

• lysikjlysikj novice

The ski hill is surrounded by 8 public and 5 private Elementary schools, 3 public and 2 private Middle schools one of which is the largest in the State and three High Schools.  I've been told that there will be special Field trip rates for schools to get local area kids outside getting physically fit.  we are talking a pool of about 10,500 students just in the public schools. 

Don't get hung up on the lack of snowmaking this year.  We need to look past this and look at the Ski Hills potential and growth.     

lysikj said:

Don't get hung up on the lack of snowmaking this year.  We need to look past this and look at the Ski Hills potential and growth.      

What do you mean by potential growth.  Do they have the land to increase their vertical?
  • lysikjlysikj novice

Why would you need more vertical for first time skiers and people that want to practice their skills in both a small terrain park and a less crowded ski slope.  As far as more vertical if you stand at the top of their brand new magic carpet and look across the bottom to the North you'll notice a steeper and twice as much vertical hill that has already been cleared.  What are the plans for this I wonder........... 40-50ft is plenty of vertical for the beginner skier, as they advance they can move on to bigger and more costly things.

So no snow making this year and they are trying to truck snow over this year to help mother nature.  is this such an outlandish idea???  Kids in Hollis have been trucking snow to their houses from Conway Ice arena and Skate three for years.  My son was skiing at a friends house back in early November by doing this.  He has also skied in our yard with snow made by the snow gun he designed and built.  In-fact I know a GREAT Ski instructor friend from Bennington that will put on his rock skis and ski a local mountain with just a dusting of snow on the ground.  All of us true New England skiers have skied on all types of snow.  A dedicated NE ski bum will ski on anything including their roof if they cant get anywhere.

• obienickobienick expert
    I've read reports that a carpets have a surprisingly high capacity, similar to doubles.  
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,018
    well the rates sound a little steep and the whole thing seems odd but...what the heck!  They built a new ski area! Now they might have some hiccups and what have you but, wow, kudos to whoever put this together!

:-O :-O :)] :)] :)] :)] \:D/

+ thanks to Chuckstah for sharing the photos!!!!!!  
    :)]
    lysikj said:

Why would you need more vertical for first time skiers and people that want to practice their skills in both a small terrain park and a less crowded ski slope.  As far as more vertical if you stand at the top of their brand new magic carpet and look across the bottom to the North you'll notice a steeper and twice as much vertical hill that has already been cleared.  What are the plans for this I wonder........... 40-50ft is plenty of vertical for the beginner skier, as they advance they can move on to bigger and more costly things.

So no snow making this year and they are trying to truck snow over this year to help mother nature.  is this such an outlandish idea???  Kids in Hollis have been trucking snow to their houses from Conway Ice arena and Skate three for years.  My son was skiing at a friends house back in early November by doing this.  He has also skied in our yard with snow made by the snow gun he designed and built.  In-fact I know a GREAT Ski instructor friend from Bennington that will put on his rock skis and ski a local mountain with just a dusting of snow on the ground.  All of us true New England skiers have skied on all types of snow.  A dedicated NE ski bum will ski on anything including their roof if they cant get anywhere.

My experience is that most want to get off the beginner area in about an hour and there is no place to go.  Also, it doesn't seem to be enough acreage for any kind of snowboard park.

To obienick: I'm guessing that the capacity of a carpet is about 1 skier per  6 to 10 seconds which translates to 360 to 600 per hour - about half the capacity of a double chair.

To lysikj: Welcome to Snow Journal.  Are you the older or younger Lysik??
  • ski_itski_it expert
    lysikj said:

To lysikj: Welcome to Snow Journal.  Are you the older or younger Lysik??

Yes, welcome.

Now don't get us wrong, I am and I believe most Sjers are enthusiastic too for any new snow venue, (perhaps not as much as you!) but I welcome Gateway & hope they have one heck of a season. And I've already been spreading the word on the area in other circles.

Your eloquence on the area does give me one or 2 questions though. Are you a principal or do you work there?  

• newmannewman advanced
    With all the school kids to market in the area the place needs another trailer at the base. For video games. After they spend an hour on the 40 ft of vertical, they will need something else to entertain themselves.